Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Sweet Balls of Fire

Usually I love to cook, but sometimes I also like shortcuts, especially for food that is eaten outside and are more of a snack than a full meal. The recipe for the sweet balls of fire I found at Trader Joe's - always a good source for great food ideas.

The recipe asks for turkey meatballs of which none of us is a fan, so I use the Italian style meatballs (of course you can make your own meatballs, but cooking time would vary then). I also don't buy their raspberry preserve since I make that myself and have many jars of it.

Here's the recipe:

As you can see, it's pretty straight forward. So far I've only made them in the oven, but I might use the slow cooker one day as well. I also bake focaccia to go with it.

A fresh salad with cherry tomatoes, avocado and sunflower seeds rounds it up.

This is the first time that I'm linking up with Kathy's Food Wednesdays - you can check it out for more posts about food.

13 comments:

DVArtist said...

Wow what a good looking meal. I bet it tastes even better. Have a nice day.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a wonderful meal, Carola. The sweet balls of fire look really good. The salad is delicious and healthy, and the focaccia adds an extra something to the dish. I was never that good at cooking meatballs, and I love them in my spaghetti, but my son makes them, and it's a treat. I'll have to remember this bag at Trader Joe's. Thanks for sharing, and Yes, sometimes shortcuts are nice to do.

~Sheri

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Carola, thank you so much for sharing on Food Wednesdays. Your meal looks so delicious, and something we would enjoy. I would use beef balls too as Hubs is not too fond of ground poultry although I like it, your entire meal looks so good. Hugs Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

These look and sound yummy. I love that sweet chili sauce at Trader Joes, and I bet mixing with raspberry jam and serving on meatballs is a hit. I am going to try this as soon as I get some raspberry jam. Thanks for sharing Carola. Enjoy the rest of your week. hugs-Erika

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love something that is quick to prepare and tasty! This looks to be both! Hugs, Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again I'm late to the party. I buy a similar sweet chili sauce at my Oriental market. Although I'm a vegetarian, I can see making these meatball from plant based ingredients, too. These look very easy.

So glad you are able to get avocados where you live. Stores here have quit selling or even carrying them. The joys of living in CA!

Jeanie said...

That looks so fabulous. We will have a TJ run this weekend when we go visit the kids and you can bet I'll be getting this!

Lorrie said...

That's a delicious looking plateful! I like sweet and savoury tastes combined.

Rain said...

Your meal looks delicious Carola! I love how your focaccia looks, I've started making focaccia this year and it's a staple now! ☺ I'll be joining in on the fun as of next week! ☺

Tara said...

Hi! Found your blog via TheNewDharmaBums, and the title of your post intrigued me. This looks like a great idea. I dislike turkey meatballs as well, so.....

I'm about to have bariatric stomach surgery and protein is really central after this procedure, so thanks for the great idea!

pam nash said...

Well, except for the chili sauce, it sounds good. Bread looks wonderful!

Lowcarb team member said...

That meal looks so good :)

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Easy meals are our favorite type, Carola, and this one looks like one I could emulate in the future. We tried store bought meatballs for the first time this week as I was being lazy and didn't feel like making my own. The verdict was that they were "not bad" and we still have a half bag for another meal, so perhaps this one . . .