Monday, October 4, 2021

T is for Too Much Fun with Filters

 

Sometimes I like to play around with built-in filters in photo processing programs. Usually I work with my photos in Lightroom and sometimes in Photoshop. I even have a basic version of Lightroom on my phone. But sometimes I'm just a bit lazy and simply like to see how much a photo is changed when I apply a filter.

The above photo I took in the summer while we were in Bandon, Oregon. This was the view from our balcony which meant that we could see the sunset from here if the weather was cooperative (which it only was once or twice). This is a very mediocre photo, but it has a quiet mood which I like. I was curious - what would happen if I applied one (or more) of the built-in filters on my phone?

The first filter I applied is "Afterglow".

It enhanced the sunset vibe of the image, pulling all the magentas and purples and saturating them in full force. While I like it, I also think it's the kind of photos we see everywhere. I also think it's unfortunate that the colors are only in the sky and not reflected in the water.

"Luminous" was the filter that I used next.

Now this was a lot better and more balanced. It resembles the mood of the evening, the not-so-perfect weather with clouds and subtle colors. I could see this on the cover of a mystery novel "Murder by the Sea" where the days would be windy and often gray with only an occasional presence of the sun. Have you read the books of Elly Griffiths' Ruth Galloway series? The setting is Norfolk, a part of England I know well and love. It can get quite moody there, and this is what this photo reminds me of (and next to the Pacific Ocean I like the North Sea best, so there). If you like mystery novels tied in with some archaeology, the Ruth Galloway series is for you (it's a good idea to read the books in order, starting with "The Crossing Places").

Back to the photo - I tried some more filters, none of which I liked, until the very last one - "Stormy".

This is my favorite one. I like the dark mood with the deep colors. You could almost think it's not the sun in the sky, but a full moon. Why not? The cover for a spy story maybe? Or another mystery novel? What do you think?

Which one is your favorite? 

Wait - isn't this a T Tuesday post that is hosted every week by the lovely Elizabeth? Of course it is! So, last Friday was the Geek's birthday. Whoever has a birthday in our family can decide whether they want to get out for dinner or what they want to have if we're staying home. The Geek opted for staying home and he wanted steak - so that's what I cooked, a Bloody Mary steak. I also baked focaccia, and our drink was a glass of wonderful Zinfandel from one of our favorite wineries.







24 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Those filter experiments are very interesting! I did not picture the landscape/seascape in the Ruth Galloway books as being like the coast of Oregon, but maybe it would be. I think the view from Ruth's cottage is in a different cardinal direction, though -- Bandon faces due west.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda Kunsman said...

Love your filter play- and they are all beautiful so I couldn't choose a fave.
You remind me I should play around with some photos a bit more too;)
Your Geek looks very happy with the meal and wine choice-cheers, and happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

We do the same thing for birthdays in my house. I hope the geek had a wonderful celebration and enjoyed his steak. And nice filter play. Its so fun to play with photos, isn't it? You're right about the last photo looking like the moon. I hope you have a wonderful T day Carola. Happy October too. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

That was interesting about the different filters for your camera-I just have a very very old digital camera, and we don't use smart phones-so no quality camera there.
I think I really like the 3rd photo down from the top-just because of the earthy colors.
I make my husband's favorite foods for his birthday-we are both in October so I usually go all out food wise for him and celebrate too.
Happy T hugs Kathy

Elephant's Child said...

A very happy belated birthday to the Geek. We have a similar arrangement for the birthday person.
I think I like luminous slightly more than stormy - but it is a close run thing.

Iris Flavia said...

Looks like you indeed had big fun with the filters - love them all, the outcomes. #3 might by my fav :-)
A Bloody Mary steak?! When you say that three times in front of a mirror... reckon nothing happens, huh.... LOL. Never heard of this. Belated Happy Birthday!
And happy T-Day, too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I don't have a cell phone, but I have Photoshop. My filters might do that if I had great photos to start with. You had a very moody photo in the beginning and you turned it into wonderful images in the process. Sadly, I've never read any Ruth Galloway mysteries, but I would love to. I just checked our library and there are 12 different Elly Griffiths' mysteries at my library.

Your geek looks like he is enjoying his birthday bash and he has wonderful food and wine. Thanks for sharing your incredible filters, the Geek' birthday cake, steak, focaccia, and Zinandel with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola. I'd stay at home if I got served all those goodies, too!

Valerie-Jael said...

I love playing with filters, too, your photos all look great. Glad your Geek had a nice birthday, the meal looks wonderful. I haven't had steak for years. Happy T day, and have a great week! hugs, Valerie

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I like the different filter effects. I can't decide if I like Luminous or Stormy best. It looked like a nice birthday celebration.

nwilliams6 said...

Fab alterations of the photo! I like the third one - the streak of brown grabs me. All are beautiful though. Happy birthday to the geek. His choice of food looks fab and so does the wine. He is such a good sport to let you take pictures and he seems so happy. My husband would also pick stay home and steak but would want some green beans or turnips and some sweet tea.

Happy T-day, Carola.

Let's Art Journal said...

Loving those filtered photos, the view is gorgeous and I like the pinks and purple filter that you added - beautiful 😀. Happy birthday wishes to your "geek" and it looks like you had a wonderful time celebrating, both the steak and wine looks delicious! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

Playing with the filters sounds like fun, and I can't pick a favorite from among these. That birthday meal looks delicious, and now I'm trying to think when my last steak was and thinking an upcoming birthday would be the perfect time. Happy Belated Birthday to the Geek :) Happy T Tuesday!

J said...

I love all the photos as they all are so peaceful and I can just imagine sitting looking at that view
I love steak too , my husband likes his rare so he has to put mine in too cook ages before his
Happy T Day
Jan

Red Rose Alley said...

Very cool photos of the sky, Carola. I love them all, but there's just something about a pink sky, so the first one spoke to me. Happy Birthday
to your husband, and the meal you made him looks really good. Steak is always
a classic meal. And that chocolate cupcake, YUMMT!

~Sheri

Lisca said...

I'm drooling over that dark Zinfandel. And a nice steak with focaccia. What a feast! Happy belated birthday Geek!
Your photo is beautiful. Yes, it's fun to play with filters. I have photoshop on my old desktop PC and as that desktop is not behaving nicely, I'm not really using PS much. I have bought a Macbook yesterday and eventually I might get PS for Macbook or I might change to something else. I'll have to think about that one.
As for the filters, I actually like the third one best. The last one is too eerie (yes, great for a murder I suppose).
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Lisca said...

PS I had never been on a camp site that rents out fridges, but I suppose because this camp site was in a desert location, very hot and dry, it seems like a good idea.

DVArtist said...

Yes filters are so much fun. Great shots. Ohhh the sweets of course. Have a nice day.

CJ Kennedy said...

The filters look cool. I do love the first one with the brilliant sky colors the best. Happy Birthday to the Geek! 🎂🍷 I like the cake! Happy T Day!

Kate Yetter said...

Loved seeing the different filters you used on your photos. All the photo editing programs are so much fun to play with.
What a delicious looking birthday meal. The cake looks SO yummy!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Empire of the Cat said...

Oh I love afterglow and stormy, so different but both appeal to me. Happy birthday to the Geek too, Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Interesting to see the different filters in your photographs.

Belted birthday wishes to 'the Geek'.

All the best Jan

pam nash said...

I vote for Afterglow. I've seen the skies over the Gulf of Mexico look like that many times. Makes me miss living there. Sounds like a perfect birthday dinner.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love the way the filters really make for a totally different look. They're all great but must say a pink sky has a great appeal. The Geek's birthday looks lovely. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Jeanie said...

I like all the filters in different ways -- they really change the mood. I should play with those sometime -- I never do, apart from maybe adjusting the light on something terribly dark or similar. Or converting to b/w. I've never been to Norfolk but I adore the Elly Griffiths "Ruth" books and you are so right about reading them in order. If that's similar to the Norfolk coast, I'd love to visit!