Tuesday, November 23, 2021

T is for Tasting Wine

 

Last week I had to skip Elizabeth's T-party because it was so busy. This was not what I thought my life would look like after quitting my high school library job in the summer. I had dreamed of quiet afternoons spent in the garden tending to my plants or reading piles of books. There was this fantasy that I could take long hikes in the breath taking nature around us. And, of course, that I could write many many blogposts.

The reality looks quite different - I've been very busy with the German School since I had added another class that I was teaching in the evenings. That came to a close last week, but the regular class work still needs to be done (and I simply love teaching) and I also find myself planning which additional classes I could offer in the spring semester. The shop has been very busy, and since my bestseller (warm socks) is made to order I'm knitting every day. However, it does feel good that my items are wanted by people and I'm proud to offer good customer service.

But last weekend, the Geek and I finally went for some wine tasting again. We live in the midst of wine country and could choose to go to a different winery every weekend. However, we opted to go to one of our favorite ones where we are also members in the wine club. This winery doesn't have its own vineyards, but purchases the grapes instead and then make their own wine. Most of their wine is delicious. Lisa, one of the owners, is also a great and experimental cook and she always has food to pair the wine with (or vice versa) on the weekends. This time we got a six-course food pairing.

This was only for starters - afterwards I forgot to take pictures of the other food. Most of her food she cooks with one of their wines and she already inspired me a lot in the kitchen. She is one of those people that you like right from the start - I remember meeting her for the first time several years ago and she was so warm and welcoming. She is someone who laughs a lot and is full of energy. This welcoming feeling and warmth is something that defines this winery - they treat you like family.

It was such a lovely late autumn day, sunny and warm. We were sitting on the patio, having such a good time. It was relaxing and peaceful - and their selection of champagne sure helped as well!


You might notice that they use fabric napkins as well as real silverware and china serving plates. The plates and bowls were all made from compostable material - nothing went to waste here. Another reason why I like this winery and happily support them.

The last course was dessert - and they served Lisa's signature bownies - crisp on the outside, gooey on the inside and a saltted caramel sauce on top.


I'm so glad that I am able to participate in Elizabeth's T Tuesday this week. Thank you for hosting it, Elizabeth! To those of you who are in the US I wish you a happy and peaceful Thanksgiving. There is so much we can be grateful for.



17 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, Being a teacher is a calling I think so if you love it you need to continue and it benefits your students.
we have long friends that live in Wisconsin and she has really gotten into visiting wineries all over the country and she brings boxes of wine home every time-she must have a huge wine cellar in her home somewhere. I got to go with them this summer when they came down to visit and she found several wineries-very fun and I enjoyed it. I think this is taking it up to another level with delicious foods-that's wonderful.
Happy T wishes Hugs Kathy

Valerie-Jael said...

A wine-tasting evening is always something special. But that brownie is a must have, I want one NOW! Happ T day, hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

What a beautiful wine tasting! I’d like to know more about your German school… is it connected to the German School in Maryland?


best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

What a wonderful day. It looks so nice there and the wine so refreshing. Happy day to you.

Elephant's Child said...

That looks like a truly wonderful place to go.
I love that you and enjoying teaching.
And a very, very happy Thanksgiving. That is a holiday we don't celebrate here - and it makes an immense amount of sense to me.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sometimes it's great to be busy, and sometimes it can be overwhelming. So glad you love teaching and so glad you enjoy the time you spend with your students. It's also good your shop is doing so well.

However, it was also good that you were able to get away for a day to visit this winery you love so much. I really LOVE their no waste idea, because I have that same philosophy. So glad you enjoyed that meal and you got some great wins and champagne in the process. Those appetizers look great and that dessert is beautiful. Thanks for taking us to Sapphire Hill and sharing all those delicious wines and treats with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Jeanie said...

What a divine time! You know I enjoy wine and tasting and the environment here looks wonderful. All the better that the food is so delicious and beautifully served, too. I'd love to do this with you two!

Iris Flavia said...

When you love your job that´s the best!!! And yay for your socks. I´m wearing Ingo´s Granma´s right now, knitted with love :-)
I´ve been to one wine-tasting (in Tuscany) and loved especially... the cheese and bread with their olive oil.
Happy Win... ummm T-Day :-)

Linda Kunsman said...

Loving what you do means everything- and besides the joy it brings you, you are passing it along to the students- win, win!
How nice to live near various wineries. I would love this place with the food pairings. Happy T day!

CJ Kennedy said...

Himself retired from teaching two years ago. He's still teaching and started teaching at a college closer to home this Fall! The wine tasting looks so fun and delicious! Mr. Geek is a good sport to have his picture taken for T Day because Himself would whine and fuss. Happy T Day

DUTA said...

Food and Wine - beautifully arranged, tasteful, and highly enjoyable !
Many years ago, I studied German language, the Goethe Institute method, promoted by the German embassy. Not an easy language , and I remember the rule of "predikat am ende":)

Red Rose Alley said...

Wine tasting is always so much fun. When we lived in So Cal, we went to the Temecula Wineries, and they are beautiful. The food they gave you to sample looks tasty. It's nice that you got a chance to visit and spend the day there with the weather being pleasant. The wine country is so peaceful with great views. The signature brownies look amazing.

Happy Thanksgiving, Carola.

~Sheri

Mae Travels said...

You wrote me about the German school where you teach. My granddaughter (now a first-year student at University of Virginia) attended the Saturday classes at the German school in Potomac Maryland throughout her high school years. The school has an extremely similar series of offerings to yours, including full-time education, Saturday classes, and adult ed.

She passed the DSD 1 & 2 exams for higher education at German universities, though she has not yet decided on any definite time to attend university there. So I was very interested to hear about your teaching.

She was very interested in your description of the California school.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Your ideas of being home matched mine, but since I retired from teaching in June of 2020, I have been very busy also. But that is good, although I am still waiting for piles of books and not squeezing in a long walks. Smile. We didn't get up to Napa or Sonoma on our recent trip. One of these day. Your wine tasting looks fun and that brownie looks amazing. I've never been to wine tasting that offers food other than a few little cracker like nibbles. This looks like a fun time you and your husband had. Thanks for sharing. I hope you had a wonderful T day. Hugs-Erika

nwilliams6 said...

I am impressed by your retirement plans - things you picked and you love, and you are making a difference in the world. You warm people's feet and minds. Wonderful and special. I am a bit jealous but even more jealous you live in the middle of wine country and have very cool places like this to go to! Wow. Happy T-day.

Lisca said...

That winery sounds really nice and from what you describe, and the owner sounds like a lovely person. All good reasons to support the business.
German is a not an easy language to speak correctly. I am fluent in a sort of pidgin German. Fluent German with the right words but appalling grammar!
Those brownies look really delicious!
Happy T-Day,
Have a great week,
Hugs
Lisca

Kate Yetter said...

Oh, the food looks delicious, especially the brownie. I have never had one with caramel sauce but it sounds like a great combo.
Glad you had fun.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate