Thursday, November 25, 2021

Grateful in Difficult Times

 

To everybody who celebrates it, I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving.

There is much that we can be grateful for. If we're sitting down today with family and/or friends to enjyoy a meal together, we already have everything - food, shelter, good company.

Not only today, but everyday I am grateful for my family - my husband who has been always at my side and who is my rock; my sweet daughter, while living far away has always a place in my heart and stays close to me. I am grateful for our home and the garden, that has kept me sane and grounded and is consistently feeding my soul. My friends are very important to me - I only have a handful of close friends, but those are dear to me and I wouldn't want to miss them. I am thankful that we have enough food, can pay the bills and even enjoy some extras. I love my work and am happy that I finally took the step to get rid of the job that didn't give me joy anymore. My life is full.

I mentioned "difficult times" in my title because I think we are living in difficult times. COVID certainly hasn't made life easier and brought a lot of sorrow and grief to many people. At the same time there is so much resistance to effectively fighting this pandemic and that makes me not only sad but also angry. When I see what is currently happening in our country, all the craziness, hate, greed and selfishness, it is easy to lose hope. I am deeply concerned about the future of our country.

But then I see so many signs of hope. People who volunteer in soup kitchens and food banks, who go to the homeless to give them blankets, food and an open heart. Young people who care for the environment. People all over the country who raise funds so that a little girl can get treatment for her excrutiating pain that her health insurance has denied. People who give their time to listen to those who don't have anybody, who deliver meals to seniors. Decent people who stand up against injustice, who don't look away. Daily courage.

I am so incredibly thankful for these people.



13 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Yes, even in difficult times, we have a lot to be thankful for. I wish you and your family happy Thanksgiving! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for this post. Thanksgiving is not a holiday my country celebrates, but I do. Each and every day. I have so much to be grateful for. And I am.

DUTA said...

Beautiful post!
We should indeed be grateful for what we have, and ask for God's protection regarding Covid and Climate Change that are threatening our survival.

Linda said...

There are good people everywhere! I seek them out and hope to connect with them, even if for a few moments. I am grateful, even when it can be hard. I have all that I need and more.

Red Rose Alley said...

A special post of thankfulness, Carola. Yes, there is, indeed, much to be thankful for. Many years ago, I worked with the homeless, feeding them and helping them out with clothing, etc. It was something I did occasionally that I'll never forget. There is always hope. One just has to open their heart to see it coming. And so you have. Your Fall leaves are beautiful. They really are spectacular photos.

Happy Thanksgiving.

~Sheri

Lorrie said...

A lovely post. Yes, even in difficult days, like those in our province, we can be thankful for many things.

pam nash said...

Beautiful pictures. Beautiful post. I think many of us share the same fears and concerns. It's good to be reminded of the good as well.

Lowcarb team member said...

A thoughtful and beautiful post.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

Iris Flavia said...

Yes, we can and need to be thankful.
And yes, people care more these days.
Beautiful pictures, too.
Wish we had such a day here as well, because I think it wears off for a while, before the day and after you are aware more of what good we have...

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Carola, I forgot to tell you about the homemade salsa. It's really quite simple - chopped up tomatoes, avocados, onions, salt and pepper. It's an easy recipe, but so good. And this time, I bought Juanita's Tortilla Chips, which are really good and don't fall apart.

~Sheri

Jeanie said...

Without doubt, one of the most beautiful Thanksgiving posts I've read. I know your holiday was happy, even if separated by your daughter. May the new season continue to bring joy.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thank you, Carola, for a beautiful and very thoughtful post which did touch upon so many aspects of this recent Thanksgiving. And, many of the points you mentioned are ones that should and do continue not only now but in the future. I too am concerned about so much resistance to overcoming this current pandemic and the latest news of variants only intensifies this concern.

Barb said...

The gratitude you express is also mine. I do believe that good is everywhere - we must just recognize it. Such amazing texture and color in your photos, Carola.