Monday, November 8, 2021

T is for AbsTracT Landscape

 

After I had tried to create abstracts, I found a video about abstract landscapes on Laly Mille's blog. It was fascinating and I decided that I would try to create an abstract landscape myself. Laly Mille likes to work in series, but I thought for my first landscape working on just one would be more than enough.

I started small, with a 5 x 5 canvas. After having painted it in light blue and gray I covered the lower part with torn collage papers.

Then I put a layer of gesso on it, outlined my landscape with a black Stabilo and smudged the lines with regular gel matte.

I decided the sky needed some light pink, stencilled some white dots on random parts and splattered some watered down paynes grey all over the landscape. You will notice that in between I changed the horizon line a little bit and added more hills.

Finally, I painted a couple clouds in the sky and added some lace, ribbon and two buttons.

Here are a few close-ups:



I thoroughly enjoyed creating this landscape and I will definitely make some more, maybe even try a bigger size. 

Of course I didn't "dry work" here - I had my drink during all this painting and gluing and splattering and... It's coffee in one of my favorite mugs that my daughter once gave me as a gift. Isn't it fun?


This is my ticket to the T Tuesday party which Elizabeth so kindly hosts every Tuesday.

Happy T Day!



20 comments:

Linda Kunsman said...

absolutely beautiful abstract landscape Carola!!! I love the addition of the subtle pink in the sky.
Cute coffee mug:) Happy T day!

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening-I Love your mixed media painting very much. It's beautiful and I really love your coffee mug too Happy T wishes Hugs Kathy

Elephant's Child said...

I love your landscape and really appreciate seeing the work in progress shots. Thank you.

Iris Flavia said...

Scene #3 is actually my fav!
And awww, cute cuppa! Have a nice T-Day :-)

Valerie-Jael said...

Lovely collage, and I love the lessons with Laly Mille, too, I have made a lot of abstracts in her lessons. Happy T Day, don't put your brush into your beautiful coffee cup! Hugs, Valerie

Mae Travels said...

Georgia O’Keeffe is my favorite landscape abstractionist. I always thought her paintings were totally abstract until I visited the area where she lived and worked, and realized the stark nature of the New Mexico mountains. She’s still my favorite.

best… mae at maefoood.blogspot.com

nwilliams6 said...

Love the mixed media landscape and love your pictures showing your journey!

Also love your coffee cup - very cute!

Happy T-day, Carola!!!

My name is Erika. said...

What a fantastic little landscape Carola. You need to link it up to Art Journal JOurney (if you'd like to). The trim adds wonderful details, as does the splatter. I'm loving your tea cup too. I hope all is well and you have a wonderful T day. hugs-Erika

Empire of the Cat said...

Love your mini abstract landscape. I'm a fan of Laly Mille's too, I like her style of working. Definitely try a bigger one, look forward to seeing it. Love the little birds on your coffee cup. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Divers and Sundry said...

What a sweet bird mug! Happy T Tuesday

pam nash said...

Very cool - I like that!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE Laly Mille. I wish I could afford her classes, but I sure love this abstract landscape you created. It is grand and so well done, too. I'm sure she would be proud of how you created it, too.

I also love the cute little bird mug you used this week for T, Carola. It is so adorable. Thanks for sharing your photos leading to the completion of this abstract and your darling birdie mug and coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

Kate Yetter said...

Beautiful canvas! I love all the bits and bobs that you added for texture.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

I am loving how you did your abstract canvass with the collaging. Just beautiful. I love doing that kind of thing, but just don't. Happy T Day.

DVArtist said...

OMGosh this is really beautiful. Well done my friend.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love Laly Milles style of art - I did try to comment last week but kept getting an error message. I love this scene you have created.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your abstract landscape.
That is a lovely cup to enjoy your drink.

All the best Jan

Barb said...

I like that you used both German and English torn papers. The mixed media is so interesting. Fun, Carola (and so is the mug). I hope your daughter is doing well, too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

While I am not an artist myself, I can appreciate the creativity that people such as yourself put into their creations, Carola.The mixd media approach here is not only interesting but a beautiful completion.

Jeanie said...

This is a beautiful piece, Carola. I really love it -- the composition and movement and the text is a great idea.