Saturday, August 21, 2021

Tuscan Butter Salmon

 

We like to eat salmon, and especially wild caught Alaskan sockeye. It has so much flavor! I am always on the lookout for recipes that use salmon and when I find one I follow it to a T for the first time. After that I usually add my own twist.

This recipe for Tuscan butter salmon is definitely a favorite. I have cooked it several times since I first saw it and by now I do my own version which really is not that different from the original one.

Here is what you will need:

  • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2-4 salmon fillets, skin on and patted dry
  • kosher salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 3 tbsp butter (I use unsalted)
  • 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (or more if you like)

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet (I use my cast iron). Season salmon all over with salt and pepper. Cook salmon skin side up until deeply golden (about 6 minutes), then flip over and cook 2-3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium and add butter. When butter has melted, stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add cherry tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. When tomaotes are beginning to burst add the spinach. Cook until spinach is beginning to wilt.

Stir in heavy cream and Parmesan and bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce is slightly reduced.

Return salmon to skillet and spoon the sauve over the fish. Simmer until salmon is cooked through, about 3 minutes more.

If you like you can add lemon wedges for garnish - I sometimes do and sometimes I don't.


Another option is to add some herbs when you stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan, like basil. I find basil often overpowering, but it certainly is a good match for the tomatoes.

Often I bake focaccia that we eat with this dish. It's perfect for mopping up the sauce. A light rosé wine complements this dish.






14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Great flavours - and your crockery sets the dish off beautifully.

Valerie-Jael said...

This looks so good Carola! It's early morning here but now you've got me hankering for this food! Hugs, Valerie

pam nash said...

I too like salmon. Your recipe sounds good and I will have to try it - bread included! Thanks.

Linda Starr said...

om my goodness I just put my salmon in parchment with lemon and thyme to roast in the oven, but will definitely try this one, dh always want teriyaki salmon but I like more variety

My name is Erika. said...

This looks amazing.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have salmon on our shopping list this week and now I will need to make sure we include the other ingredients needed for this meal. It will be on a future menu at our home, thanks for the recipe and photos, And, now I have an excuse to try my hand at focaccia once again.

Caty said...

What an exquisite recipe Carola. We really like salmon too. Without a doubt it is a recipe that we have to try. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. Happy T-day!
Have a great Wednesday, stay safe and big hugs,
Caty

Azka Kamil said...

I like salmon

Barwitzki said...

Was für ein schönes Gericht... mir läuft das Wasser im Munde zusammen :-)))
Morgen ist Markttag bei uns, darauf freue ich mich jede Woche, frisch vom Markt und hinein in die Töpfe und Pfannen :-)) Vielleicht gibt es guten Lachs... dann könnte ich dein Rezept kochen. Vielen Dank dafür und herzliche Grüsse zu dir. Viola.

Lowcarb team member said...

This looks my/our sort of meal ...
Many thanks for the recipe.

All the best Jan

Veronica Lee said...

Looks divine, Carola.

I'd love to give your recipe a try.

Iris Flavia said...

Hmmmm.... Parmesan! But fish... I only manage tasteless white ones.... My Mum loved fish, but I got my Dad´s genes ... cheese only, please ;-)

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm not much of a fish lover, but this Tuscan Butter Salmon dish looks incredible. And with bread and butter, even better. Carola, you are such a good cook. You should have your own restaurant. : )

~Sheri

Magic Love Crow said...

Ok, I promised my mom I would make her this! LOL! I hope I can! LOL! Big Hugs!