Wednesday, August 25, 2021

A New Trail

 

Today I wanted to walk around the lake again, but when I arrived in the parking lot, I changed my plan. It was an overcast and cool morning, perfect for hiking into adjacent Annadel State Park. I first climbed up a steep trail that I last hiked a few years ago.

I apologize for a photo-heavy post.


Even though you can't see it in the pictures, this is a very steep trail, littered with thick roots and big boulders. It's ideal rattlesnake habitat which is why in the summer I only walk trails like this on overcast cool mornings like today. Our rattlesnakes tend to keep away in this kind of weather and I prefer it this way.


On top there is a summer-dry meadow and a completely dried up little pond.


Signs of the drought are everywhere, but also gorgeous views.


The hills in the photo above is where the Tubbs Fire raced through in that fateful night in October 2017, destroying everything in its way. Although homes are built up there again, I can still see the scars of the fire. I wish there were no buildings on those hills.

Walking across the meadow I discovered a trail I had never hiked before and I spontaneously decided to try it out. I knew that it eventually would lead down to the parking lot of Annadel and I sure didn't want to walk that far away from my starting point (which was on the other side of the mountain), but I at least wanted to get an idea of what the trail looked like.

I'm glad I did.


The first part of the trail was rather mellow, but then I rounded a corner and saw this:

This is where last year's Glass Fire had burned in Annadel. See that tree on the right?

Like a snake is shedding its skin, these trees are shedding their burned bark and beneath it they look pretty good. It is always amazing to see how nature heals itself. However, for some trees it is just too late.


But even these obviously dead trees still offer habitat and protection for wildlife. Think of birds and little critters that make these trees their homes. I'm glad that not every burnt tree is cut down, but that nature is getting its way.

California has always had fires. This is not a new thing, however, what is new is how ferocious they have become. California has always needed fires, but now with more and more homes in the wilderness areas and a forest mismanagement over many many years a change of course is unavoidable.

Here you can clearly see the fire's way:

I eventually turned around and hiked another trail above the lake before I finally went back down the steep trail. I can assure you that climbing it up was way easier than down!

What I love the most about this area? The crooked trees.




9 comments:

Jeanie said...

Never apologize for a photo-heavy post. People can scroll fast if they like; I love your photos so much I really love to take my time with them, no matter how many. (And you're right -- the crooked trees are fantastic!)

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you so much.
Beautiful, heartbreaking, and also v familiar.
We are still in lockdown and I was/am very grateful to walk with you. Thank you for the treat.

Valerie-Jael said...

Fabulous photos, I would enjoy walking there, too. Great that some trees ca heal themselves. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Red Rose Alley said...

The trail is pretty, but very dry. The crooked trees are amazing, but I feel bad for those burnt and hollowed out trees, which look so lifeless. Oh, these fires are starting to really upset me. One of the BIG ones is a bit more contained, which I'm so thankful for. Your word "ferocious" is a perfect one for the fires that are going on right now, Carola.

I'm glad you had a peaceful walk despite the fires around us. : )

~Sheri

pam nash said...

Wonderful pictures! I enjoyed your walk.

Mae Travels said...

Trees are so important to the health of the planet that it's always saddening to see them in such distress, even if they will probably recover from recent trauma. We can only hope things get better, but how?

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

It is good to see that nature can renew. It is sad about people though and their losses, and all the fires in California. What a year. I think your walk looks really interesting though. Is that pond in the background low? I don't know if the trees were suppose to grow right up to it or not. Happy new week. hugs-Erika

Magic Love Crow said...

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing all of them! It is amazing to see how nature heals itself! Glad there was no snakes! LOL! You take such interesting photos! Big Hugs!

Gretchen Joanna said...

The lovely, crooked oaks! Your pictures reveal their beauty.