Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Rain Jewels


Starting last Thursday and ending on Monday we got a good amount of rain - something we needed, but it's still not clear whether this has broken our four-year drought or not. Somehow I think it takes a lot more than just one wet winter to end a severe drought.

Anyway, it was lovely to go to bed to the sound of rain and to wake up to the tapping of rain. It's not something we hear too often in this corner of the world (this is not Scotland after all). When it happens it's music in my ears.


When there was a break in the rain I ventured outside in the garden with my phone - I didn't even grab my DLSR because I thought the break might only be a short one (it was).


I love raindrops on flowers. It's nature's way of displaying its very own jewels - and boy, is it stunningly beautiful jewelry. Best of all, it's free!


On a grey day the colors just pop so much more than on a bright sunny day. The contrast between the colors and the dark background is higher and very clear.


Don't you just love how the drops cling to the petals? I wish I had a really good macro lens to capture just the drops - I'm sure there would be so much more to see.

The rain stopped on Monday, and today I was able to work in the garden again. After all the rain the plants are exploding which means a lot of work for me. Fortunately I love gardening, and seeing how well everything is doing right now is all I need!


12 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Bejewelled and beautiful.
Your phone takes impressive photos too.

Hindustanka said...

Such a fresh feeling after looking at the flowers after the rain... you captured such a beauty of it Carola...
Thanks for sharing... I also love how it feels after the rain - all clean and new :)

Darla said...

You captured those drops so beautifully. Some of them look like they were distributed just for artistic interest. Happy gardening!

Pamela Gordon said...

Gorgeous photos Carola! I'm glad you got some needed rain there. You are blessed to see so many flowers in bloom already. We woke to fresh snow this morning. We haven't had much of late and the area was pretty well bare ground so it was a surprise to see it when I pulled up the blind. Thankfully it won't last! Enjoy the day.

Petra Pavlátková said...

They all look wonderful, Carola, but I love, love, love the opening photo! It's breathtaking...

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Very pretty. The garden always looks so lovely after the rain when the sun comes out...everything seems to sparkle just as you have shown us here. Like you, I hope we get lots more!

Magic Love Crow said...

Truly beautiful! Happy you got rain! I hope you get more!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for the rain you've had this winter. My sister tells me the hills are green and blooming with wildflowers in their part of Southern California, though she says the drought is far from over. Your rain-wet flowers are so beautiful!

Rosie Grey said...

How beautiful! Those water droplets look like jewels indeed!

The Chilly Dog said...

Beautiful phone pics. I love the camera on my phone and find it's a lot more convenient and easier to carry for quick jaunts. Happy spring!

GreenComotion said...

Get outta here :)
Spectacular close-up photos!!
Have a Happy Day!
Peace :)

Molly said...

I dream of taking gorgeous close-ups like this. I need to get out there and practice :)