Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Raindrops

 

Last Sunday night we had some rain again. As I wrote before, California had an extremely wet and also chilly winter, but it had been a week or so since the last rain before that Sunday. It was a much lighter and steady rain than what we had experienced before. Hopefully it wasn't the last rain of the season. When I went in the garden on Monday morning, I was delighted by the raindrops on the plants. Everything looked so fresh and it smelled so good as well. 

In the picture above you can see the raindrops on the new leaves of the photinia. This was a beautiful tree when we bought this house, but then it started to die off and I couldn't figure out why. Now, only this one new branch is alive, the rest of the tree is dead. We cut back some parts of it because of fire hazard, but we left a good part standing. This is the base of my main bird feeding station and I can tell you that it is very well visited by our feathered friends. I can see it while I sit at my worktable and sometimes I get very distracted by it while I should actually prepare my classes or grade homework.

There are new leaves on my rose as well and the raindrops circle it like a little crown. Fitting for the "queen of flowers", even though roses aren't exactly favorites of mine. I like them, especially when they have a lovely scent, but there are other flowers that I like way more.

Tulips, for example, but you already know that. 

I also love freesias, mainly for their sweet fragrance. My friend Kris gave me a bag of freesia bulbs as a house warming present 11 years ago, and they have been doing reliably well every spring. Some of them I cut and bring in the house so that the living/dining room smells so nicely. Friends of us came for dinner last Saturday and brought me flowers from their garden, and I simply put the freesias in there as well for the three primary colors.



Water on the sedum "Autumn Joy" are fat big drops, so different from all the other ones. Sometimes you can see reflections in them, but of course not in this photo.


Look who's here!


The Hooded Orioles arrived at the end of March. One morning I stepped out and heard the familiar chatter - these are very talkative birds. I saw the male at the hummingbird/oriole feeder and immediately brought the grape jelly out. A couple days later his mate turned up as well. Later in the summer they will bring their offspring as well. That's when I have to constantly refill the jelly bowl. Other birds like the jelly as well - I've seen the Northern Mockingbird going for it as well as the Oak Titmouse; I also saw the squirrel with a red sticky mouth...

What about dandelions? I don't pull them since they are one of the first flowers in the spring for the pollinators. Since I don't have a lawn, I don't mind dandelions. 


The raindrops look very pretty on the Desert or Globe Mallow. I was a bit surprised to see it flowering so early. Last year the blooms appeared much later.


Of course Clematis is a stunner, with or without raindrops. These two are always early and often crank out a second blooming period later in the year.


I shouldn't forget "Roger's Red", a native California wild grape that grows abundantly and turns to a stunning red in the fall - hence the name. The birds love to seek shelter there in the summer.


So what is missing? Of course, it's the food part for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date. Here I cooked a Chinese cuisine inspired dish with baked tofu, broccoli, red pepper and udon. I don't usually use a recipe for these kinds of dishes, but just remember what I ate when I lived in Taiwan and try to make something similar with different ingredients. As you can see, my wok is well used.





17 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love those wonderful photos, so much beauty. And your food looks great, too! Have a happy day, hugs, Valerie 🤗

Elephant's Child said...

How I love your rain bejewelled plants - and your birds. Dinner looks pretty good too.

roentare said...

The flowers look so surreal! Hooded Oriole is special too

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Great post, Carola. Raindrops are nature's jewels and have the power to captivate even the most jaded among us. They disappear but are sure to return again and delight anew. Perhaps it's true - the best things in life really are free. As for Taiwan, I never lived there but I birded there for four days and enjoyed the country very much. Then I went on to Hong Kong where I stayed for nine days and had a fabulous experience. China has already clamped down on Hong Kong and I am sure it has changed greatly, and the sabres are being rattled at Taiwan. It's good that we visited when we did.

My name is Erika. said...

Raindrops on roses...these are so pretty Carola. I love raindrops on flowers and leaves. Isn't it amazing what you see when you look closely at the world? It still amazes me. Thanks for sharing these photos. hugs-Erika

pam nash said...

Beautiful pictures! I love all the raindrops - possibly my favorite is the dandelion.

Christine said...

Beautiful photos and yummy noodles!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Spectacular photos! You've done a beautiful job of capturing those gorgeous raindrops!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Raindrops on leaves and flowers are beautiful as you have shown, Carola. Another favorite of mine is spider webs but I have never had much success in capturing their intricacies. Glad that you did get some needed rain and sure your plants were even more appreciative. I just read your comment on Rain's blog about making spaghetti with fresh spinach, parmiggiano and egg and that it was simple, my kind of meal. Can you share how it was prepared?

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous photos of the raindrops touching everything ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jeanie said...

Raindrops are so remarkably visual. They make every plant pop even more. Your photos are -- as always -- extremely beautiful and sharp. And your garden -- wow!

Barwitzki said...

Wunderschöne Fotos hast du gemacht, ja, Regen kann ein Segen sein.
Wir hatten bisher sehr viel Regen im Frühjahr und wir hoffen jetzt auf Sonnenschein. Es wird nicht mehr lange dauern und die Rapsfelder stehen in Blüte... ein Traum... ich liebe es.
Deine Aufnahme vom Pirol ist fantastisch. Großartig ihn im Garten zu haben.
Und ich bin darauf gespannt, welche Vögel bei dir noch so erscheinen werden.
Viel Freude wünsche ich dir. Eine Umarmung von Viola

Tom said...

...Mother Nature coats the earth with diamond with her rain. I hope that you are enjoying a yummy spring.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh Carola, what a beautiful post ... your flowers, all of them, are amazing and with the drops of water on them, even the dandelion is gorgeous (and yes, leave them for the pollinators, I do that too for as long as I can get away with it ... would you believe our Association will fine us if we don't take care of them ... they know not what they do!) The Orioles, aren't they wonderful ... we used to get the Baltimore Orioles at our feeders at the Lake every spring ...after bottles of grape jelly, they would leave and go elsewhere to nest, then pass through again in the fall. I love all Asian food and your dish looks wonderful. I use a lot of Tofu and this dish will be added to my list of options when I cook with it. Lovely, lovely post, Carola ... I hope your California weather becomes more stable and rain in reasonable amounts becomes the rule :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Mae Travels said...

Beautiful flower images! You must have a very colorful garden.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Your flower photographs are so beautiful and your food looks delicious.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

Hi Carola! ☺ Your meal looks fabulous. And your flowers are so pretty with the raindrops! It's still a wee bit early here to see flowers blooming, though I've spotted a few dandelions!