Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Fiddlenecks and Tidy Tips

This morning my friend K and I went to Crane Creek Regional Park. She had never been there, so we thought it was time for her to get aquainted with this little gem.

When we drove over the hill we saw the morning fog hanging over the plain in front of the Coastal Range. So we hurried to park the car and walk up the hill to get a good view of the fog. There was already considerably less of the marine layer when we arrived at the top. I apologize for the following photo, it's very pixelated, but I love this dead tree and the fog next to it with the Coastal Range peeking through it.


All the yellow you can see here are wildflowers - Tidy Tips (Layia chrysanthemoides). It was so different from the last time when I hiked here and had hoped to see wildflowers - this time there were so many more.



The other yellow wildflower is Yellowbeak Owl's Clover (Triphysaria versicolor).


We were so early that the California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica), our state flower, hadn't opened its flowers and still looked like little pointed hats. The Sky Lupines (Lupinus nanus), however, were "fully awake" and delighted with their beautiful color. They are often found in the same location as California Poppies.



The native oaks were flowering as well. I actually wasn't sure whether "flowering" is the correct term, but after talking with a botanist I can say with confidence that, yes, the oaks were flowering. What you see here are the male flowers; the female ones are much closer to the leaves and we weren't able to see them.


The oaks were covered with lichen - the one on the trunk and branches is Sunburst lichen. The hanging lichen (the right photo below) is often mistaken for Spanish Moss which does not grow in California since our climate is not humid enough. This is California Lace Lichen (Ramalina menziesii), and believe it or not, it's our State Lichen. California is the first state to recognize a lichen as a state symbol.


Crane Creek Park has many old oaks that I never tire to look at. Such beautiful, majestic trees. Even when they die, park management leaves them in place as part of the habitat. I love that this area is left to nature's ways. 


Well, not completely. Cows certainly don't really fit in this picture, however, they are in the park for about six months each year. Their grazing is a low key way of fire management. There are about 20 cows in the park and they can roam the entire area. This practice has been in place for many years now and it has worked well. I have never seen any severe damage anywhere in the park; new plantings of native trees and shrubs usually get protection for the first few years when they are still vulnerable to curious cows who might like to try the fresh growth. The cows are docile and used to humans; K's dog though was a bit scared of them and only was ready to proceed after she saw that I passed the cows without any incident. I have always had a soft spot for cows; I have loved them since I was a little girl - after all, I'm a (big animal) veterinarian's daughter!


There were more wildflowers - Popcorn flower (Plagiobothrys nothofulvus), Fiddleneck (Amsinckia intermedia) and Blue Dicks (Dipterostemon capitatus). What a wonderful outcome of our wet winter!




My regular hike took much longer today - K and I were stopping over and over again admiring all the flowers and being in awe of the trees. This is such a wonderful place where I always feel I can breathe more easily (not today though, since allergies this spring are awful). It speaks to my heart and my soul.


We were very lucky to see and hear many birds - Red-shouldered Hawk, Western Bluebird, Acorn Woodpeckers, California Thrasher, Turkey Vulture, Scrub Jay and California Quail. I'm pretty sure I forgot a few.

This is my favorite tree - you already saw it in an earlier post. Every time I see it I take a picture of it, and I swear it's always different.


By the end of our hike, the California Poppies had finally opened up.


I think the trees and some of the flowers like the Fiddleneck are fitting for Rain's prompt "twisted" this week - what do you think?

My dinner today for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date is tortellini with caramelized onions, mushrooms and spinach. This was the first time that I had made this delicious dish.








21 comments:

roentare said...

The gnocchi looks so delicious there

Valerie-Jael said...

I'll start with the food - it looks great, yummy! You visited a fabulous place and saw so many wonderful wild flowers, trees, and even cows - lovely. I often take repeated photos of my fave trees, and yes, they always look different! Happy Thursday! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

What a magical, marvellous day (and a delicious dinner too). thank you so very much.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is so much beauty here, Carola, it's not hard to understand why you love it so much. I have no doubt that your friend will be returning often too. Pretty evocative names for the flowers. Hugs - David

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, wow what a beautiful place, loved seeing all of the pretty wildflowers and those cool trees.

Barwitzki said...

Thank you for this wonderful hike with you :-)) oh yes, it would have taken me longer to admire each of the flowers enough, along with the cows and magnificent trees.
Your dinner looks delicious.
Many greetings from Viola... it was my pleasure :-))

Barwitzki said...

p.s. email gebe ich nicht an, weil ich das nicht verfolge... wir haben 1 Grad heute, aber letztes Wochenende waren 18 Grad und Sonne pur :-)))
Es geht aufwärts mit dem Wetter und dem Frühling. Das freut alle hier.
Fröhliche Grüsse zu dir.

Iris Flavia said...

Ein sehr, sehr schöner Park und das Essen sieht superlecker aus :-)

My name is Erika. said...

CRane Creek looks like a beautiful state park. And everything is blooming, including the flowering trees. There must have been so much in bloom for the green to have so much yellow in it. Our lupines won't bloom for at least a month, most likely June, so I just loved seeing your photo of them. How exciting to have so much color after a few very dry years. And I love cows too. That's a great form of management that is a win-win situation. I hope you have a wonderful rest of your week Carola. hugs-Erika

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, fiddlenecks are perfect for the "twisted" theme! And the tortellini look dee-lish!

Jeanie said...

I love the closed California poppies -- and then how they opened by the time you left. That had to be a treat for your friend. I've only seen the fiddlehead ferns once and never in flower, just the curvy stems. They're pretty. That tortellini dish look absolutely spectacular! Recipe online somewhere?

Christine said...

Wonderful photos, and a delicious pasta!

Haddock said...

What a lovely path to hike , and love those flowers

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful series of nature photos and tortellini looks and sounds delicious ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...Mother Nature plants some fabulous flower gardens and you found some lovely ones. Those twisted trees are beautiful sculptures. Carola, keep discovering the beauty that surrounds you and enjoying it.

Barb said...

Lovely to see your blossoms and blooms on the hike, Carola. I love the popcorn wildflower with the droplets. That food makes me glad it's soon time for dinner!

Lowcarb team member said...

These are all wonderful photographs, I especially like the California Poppies, they are lovely.
Your food looks delicious.

Have a happy weekend.

All the best Jan

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Wow, what a photo with the twisted tree, the Tidy Tips and the fog in the background. Print it, frame it and hang it! The wildflowers are beautiful and I am impressed that you know them all by name. I love the California Poppies, both tented and open. And, having had a cow for a friend as a child, I am with you with a fondness for cows ... though I know they can get pushy at times and you don't want to be on the wrong end of that. Your favorite tree is a twisted work of art and does, along with others, fit perfectly in Rain's prompt.
If I ever make it to California and I am able to stop to see you, I would love some of that Tortellini dish, thank you. Looks and sounds delicious :) It was lovely walking in the park with you today, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola, ich war sehr neugierig, was Fiddlenecks sind, aber jetzt weiß ich es - sehr faszinierend, diese Pflanze! Und auch die Tidy Tips sind hübsch. Überhaupt nimmst du uns in ein wundervolles, pflanzenreiches Gebiet mit, ich habe den Spaziergang sehr genossen - auch die Kühe, die ich ebenfalls liebe und nicht fürchte. Bei uns in Ö werden Kühe und Schafe ebenfalls gern zur Beweidung gewisser Gebiete hergenommen (Almen, Magerwiesen) - sie sorgen dafür, dass diese Areale nicht verbuschen. Wahrscheinlich ist das auch der Grund, weshalb Beweidung gegen Brände schützt - durch kleines, dichtes Buschwerk werden die Flammen vermutlich leichter verbreitet, weil sie dadurch überspringen können, stimmt das? Das Foto, von dem du schreibst, es wäre verpixelt, präsentiert sich bei mir auf dem Bildschirm ganz hübsch und unverpixelt.
🌸❤️🌸
Hab einen tollen Mai!
Hugs, Traude 😘
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/monets-garten-ein-blumiger-tag-in-wien.html

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I was going to start with how nice it was to go along on a walk with you and your friend, Carola, and it was...but then you showed that delicious dish at the end. It made me wish I had any of those ingredients available for our dinner tonight. Instead, we will be having chick and roasted veggies.

Rain said...

Ooh Carola, your tortellini looks so delicious! Any time I see cows, I smile, no matter how often, there's something about them that's so wonderful! I love your twisted trees!! ♥