Monday, March 13, 2023

Exploring the Tafoni

 

Our daughter hadn't been here for even 24 hours when we took our first trip to the ocean, the place that she had missed the most. We decided to go to Gerstle Cove in Salt Point State Park, a place that the Geek and I had only discovered last year and we wanted to share it with Kaefer. It was much calmer this time.

First we saw the harbor seals hanging out on the rocks.


There was much more driftwood on the shore than the last time we had been here, a sure sign of a very high surf during our crazy weather in January.


 When we arrived, Kaefer enjoyed just sitting on the shore and looking out over the ocean while we were taking photos of her as the "solitary mermaid" and the reflections in the tide pools.



But then she started to explore the tafoni and was just as mesmerized as we were.




We also enjoyed watching the cormorants sitting on the rocks and not minding the surf at all. However, there were no black oystercatchers this time.


Of course we had to take those family photos.


But mostly we explored the tafoni. I saw a lot of tiny living things on the rocks and just admired the beautiful shapes and forms.




In between we stopped every now and then just to take a picture of our girl.



A few years ago, Kaefer had given me a lensball for Christmas because she knows how much I enjoy photography and thought I would like to play around with it which I have done often. I had brought it with me and wanted to take some pictures of the tafoni with it - and as you can see, I wasn't the only one who did this.



Eventually it got very chilly at the coast and we decided to go for lunch. Of course we wanted fish and chips (another thing she had really missed) and went up to the Seafood Shack in Gualala. This is one of the best places for very fresh and delicious  fish and chips along the Sonoma-Mendocino coast. We had clam chowder in a bread bowl and, of course, rock fish and chips. Lecker, as we say in German.


Fish needs water - we had it in the form of some good local beer, a Scrimshaw (from Fort Bragg further up the coast) and Kaefer opted for some local cider from Sebastopol. You guessed it, this is for Bleubeard and Elizabeth and their T Tuesday.








23 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Awesome photos! I love your photography. What a lovely place to explore-Am so glad you shared with us. we are pretty much home bodies now so I appreciate these travel-adventure posts. Happy T wishes Kathy

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a wonderful adventure you had with your daughter visiting a place that obviously is special to all of you. The family photos were beautiful as well. Lots of good memories were made on this visit.

Kate Yetter said...

I love your family dynamic and how much you love being together. The photos o your "mermaid" are lovely as are the photos of nature.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

My name is Erika. said...

Your beach shots are super Carola. I've never seen tafoni, but it is one very cool rock. You have some super cloud reflection photos and also the lens ball did a great job creating some interesting views also. You reminded me I need to take mine out. :) This was a very scenic post. Have a super T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

The rock formations are just fascinating, and all the images are lovely. Your lens ball really makes neat photos.

The fish & chips look great.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gretchen Joanna said...

I love Salt Point! I hadn't been there in many years, then a couple of years ago my daughter's family took me there -- we had such a great day. I think it was in February and it was quite windy and cold! Those rocks are endlessly fascinating.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

When you and Kaefer were in Germany and Austria, you were all wearing summer clothes. Now you are dressed for a winter blast.

I've never seen rock formations like that before and was mesmerized. I think Kaefer was, too.

Your fish and chips as well as the drinks look great for T this Tuesday, dear Carola. Thanks for these amazing photos, too! I LOVE armchair traveling with you.

Iris Flavia said...

Tolle FOtos. Oh, ja, wenn ich das nächste Mal ans Meer komme, werde ich das auch genießen. Ende des Monats müssen wir nach Emden, vielleicht ergibt sich was.
Der lensball, ja! Verdammt, Ingo hat auch einen, bloss wo?
Yupp, sieht sehr lecker aus, euer lunch!
Aha, OK, ich hätt gern ein Wasser (naja, 06:09 morgens wirds eher ein heißer Tee ;-)...)

Valerie-Jael said...

What a fabulous place to visit, I would like to explore - and take photos - there. Your photos are fabulous!I must take my lens ball for a walk sooner or later, too! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am glad that you had such a wonderful time with Kaefer. It must have been sublime to have her to yourselves again, Carola, at least for a little while. Seashores are among my favourite places on earth, not for sandy beaches, but for rocky shores and tide pools and exploration of all the wonderful creatures that inhabit those zones. It makes me realize how little I know of all the interconnected life forms, which just means that there is more to fill me with awe. Fish and chips was a perfect choice for lunch, but I despair to see the plastic container for sauce that comes with it. Hugs from Ontario - David

nwilliams6 said...

Wow. Some beautiful pictures of the coast and your family! I want a lens ball - so fun! Your pictures of your trips are always amazing, but these pictures near your home are just as beautiful. You are a very talented photographer, Carola. I would be taking a ton of pictures of my girls too. Lovely post and great drinks. Hugz and happy T-day.

DVArtist said...

These are beautiful photos and so many memories made this day. I love the family photos too. Have a lovely day.

CJ Kennedy said...

I had to look up tafoni as I didn't know what it was and have never seen anything like it. Your photos are awesome. So nice that you are getting to spend time with your daughter. Happy T Day and Pi Day

Barb said...

How happy you must be to have Kaefer for a visit! That area is so other-worldly. So much to see. The photos are wonderful, Carola. Enjoy your family time!

jinxxxygirl said...

Such lovely pictures Carola! That lensball is amazing.Looks like a wonderful place to explore! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

Sharon Madson said...

I would be like your daughter; I would head to the ocean! The tafoni is amazing. It looked like to me she was curled up with a leopard. So unusual. I had never seen or heard of it before. The fish and chips look good, but I am not a fan. Lovely post. Happy T Day.

PriyankUnikart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pearshapedcrafting said...

Now this is a place I'd love to visit! Kaefer clearly loves it! I now need Fish and Chips!! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

PriyankUnikart said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeanie said...

I can see why she misses the ocean -- how beautiful and how interesting. It looks like such a magnificent day! Love all your photos, especially the portraits. I haven't had fish and chips for ages. I think I need some!

Barwitzki said...


Was für ein kleines Paradies... ich liebe deine Fotos. Vielen Dank.
Und wie herrlich für euch, mit eurer Tochter zusammen sein zu können.
Einfach herrlich. Genießen.
Viele liebe Grüße zu dir aus Deutschland von Viola.
Fish and Chips habe ich das letzte mal in Irland gegessen :-) Lecker!
...hier bei mir eher die Hausmannskost Beefsteak, Sauerbraten, Rouladen, mit Kartoffeln und viel Gemüse oder Kraut... aber ich mag auch alle Eintöpfe, sprich Suppen :-)
Frohes Wochenende wünscht dir Viola

Lowcarb team member said...

What a fabulous place to visit, I do like the rock formations.

All the best Jan

DVArtist said...

Ohhh so many beautiful photos, especially the last one. Have a lovely day.