Monday, February 21, 2022

Books

 

Again, I am late writing about the books I read (or listened to) last year - but better late than never.

In 2021 I read 64 books, seven of them were audiobooks (so "read" is probably not the right term). As I do every year, I wrote all of the titles and authors down and used my very own star system for books I enjoyed more than others. Usually I give one star for a good read and two stars for a very good read, but last year for the very first time I had to introduce three stars - just once. Everything else without a star is an average read. I still need to figure out how to "star" exceptionally bad reads. Usually I don't finish those and note that in my list, but in 2021 I finished all the books. 

Most of the books I read on my Kindle Paperwhite. It's so easy to take it anywhere and wherever I am I have an entire library with me. I don't like to schlepp any books with me anymore like I used to do for most of my life.

But of course there are still "real" books I'm reading like "The Four Agreements" that I took home from work. That was at the beginning of the year, I had just processed all of the copies and was quite curious about this book. It ended up in the one-star category.



"A Stone in my Hand" was another book from the high school library that I enjoyed. It's written from the perspective of a pre-teen Palestinian girl who lives in Gaza. It was highly educational.

More one-star reads were "The Story of Arthur Truluv" by Elizabeth Berg (I have yet to read a book by her that I don't like), "The Moonlight Child" by Karen McQuestion, "The Light Through the Leaves" by Glendy Vanderah, "The Key" by Kathryn Hughes and "The Keeper of Lost Things" by Ruth Hogan that I listened to. "Nomadland" by Jessica Butler, "Freckled" by TW Neal (she usually writes mysteries as Toby Neal, but this one is about her childhood in Hawai'i), "Where the Forest Meets the Stars" by Glendy Vanderah, "Dovetail" by Karen McQuestion (audiobook), "The Paper Bracelet" by Rachael English (another eye-opener about a home for unwed mothers in the 1970s in the West of Ireland) and "The Midnight Library" by Matt Haig (audiobook, narrated by the wonderful Carey Mulligan) all received two stars,

One Saturday our German School had a book sale in the parking lot of our campus. I got a few German books that interest me - "Nordlicht" is another mystery that is set in the North of Germany. These kind of 'local' mysteries are quite popular (I read quite a bit of those on my Kindle). This was quite interesting since it was set in a small town on the German-Danish border and I learned quite a bit about this special area that I wasn't aware of before.


The book at the bottom is of special interest for me. It's about displaced Germans after WWII, mainly those who had to flee from the approaching Soviet Army in the Eastern regions of the country. This is what happened to both my parents and their families.

Two of my German students gave me books as well - one because I love to read mysteries, and one because he wanted to know my opinion about it.


"Northern Spy" is more than just a mystery, it's about how the IRA still operates 20 years after the Good Friday Agreement. I had no idea and this book was a hard-to-swallow lesson. "On Being German" with the subtitle "A Personal Journey Into the German Experience" mainly angered me. The only interesting part was the diary of the author's mother about the time when they had to flee from their home in East Prussia. But the rest was hair-raising and appaling. 

If someone is indeed interested in a "personal journey into the German experience" I recommend this book:


I have this book in both German and English (Nora Krug wrote both of them herself, no translator) and this is my three-star read. Nora Krug is 17 years younger than I am, but her experience, her way of coming to terms with German history, the guilt and how to define "Heimat" (home or homeland - there really is no equivalent English word for it) is very similar to my own experience, even though I grew up in a refugee family while her family came from and had lived in the Southwest of Germany (these are two very different conditions that you are mainly aware of when you belong to the refugee side). So much sounded familiar. This is not a "regular" book - all is "hand printed" with the author's own illustrations, historic photographs and documents. Here's an example:


I owe it to my German friend B. who told me about this book.

You do know that reading makes thirsty, right? And since this is a T Tuesday post I'm showing a drink at my favorite place to read - in the garden with a glass of rosé. Life can be good.





17 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

A very interesting selection of books, especially the one by Nora Krug. I will have to look for it at my library.
I love reading print books but I agree that the Kindle is much easier to lug around than a large book.
Thanks for sharing.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Mae Travels said...

I just looked for reviews of “On Being German” — no professional reviews, but the amazon.com readers explained how the book is an effort to absolve the Germans, except for a few, for the Holocaust. I guess she didn’t read books like “Hitler’s Willing Executioners,” and many others.

Your list is interesting. I have read only a few of the books you listed, especially Nomadland.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Linda Kunsman said...

That is quite the variety of reads! Both my hubby and I personally still love having actual books in hand though. I have tried a Kindle that belonged to a friend but didn't care for it although I will concur that it is much more convenient when travelling. I will happily sip on some rosé come summer:) Happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

I also keep a written list of the books I read, and I use checks rather than stars. Congrats on 64 books. I haven't read any of these books you mentioned, but it is great to see what others have been reading and what might interesting. I'm still a fan of actual books, but I am also in love with listening to a book. I do enjoy listening to a very talented reader. Have a great T day Carola. Hugs-Erika

Sharon Madson said...

I read books on my iPad using the Libby App which allows me to check books out from our library using the app and read them also. Since I began doing this the last few years, I have read more, because I don't have to go to the library. If I finish a book at midnight and want to start another, I just check out one right then using the app. Love it. You have read some interesting books this past year. That is a good idea to keep a notebook of them. So far, I have been using the Goodreads app to track my books. Thanks for sharing. Happy T Day!

Terra said...

We read about the same number of books last year. I read Berg's book and The Midnight Library. I write down the titles and authors too and I use a 5 star system.

Iris Flavia said...

I did the same years ago, with real books. Now mostly the kindle it is, to Ingo´s dismay ;-)
So practical. No "schlepping"!
Nordlicht?! LOL, That´s with what I started today (on the blog, not in real life! I could, though, as I´m on holiday!).
"Treibgut des Krieges" sounds very interesting, too, if here it was the other way round, my maternal family came to Germany from Königsberg, now Russia.
"On being German" I would read, too. People always make fun of us cause we´re always more than on time ;-)
Even if you got angry I´d like to know more about it. (Kindle, I know...)
Oh, no - and another on this! Well, maybe I have time on my hands now to read more.
I will see if I get that in paper. Seems to be worth it, never saw a book written like that. And, for my Niece, English it will be (she hates to learn this language).

Happy T-Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I feel rather illiterate and old school, I don't own a kindle or an audio book reader, and last year I read a total of two books, Granted, one had nearly 1000 pages, but still! Mostly I read journal articles and white papers. I was impressed with your list. The book by Krug sounds interesting.

Even though I'm not a wine drinker, your rose looks beautiful on that table in the garden. I am sure that is a very relaxing place to read, too. Thanks for sharing your list of books, your reviews, and your wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

nwilliams6 said...

An impressive list of books, Carola. I was wondering if I had read any of them, but didn't see any familar ones. Added several to my future list though. I also need to write down my books too - maybe journal them. Great pictures here and interesting post. The wine picture is especially cool. Happy T-day and hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

So many wonderful books! Such a variety! I like having a paper-page book in hand, but I do enjoy reading public domain works online on my computer. I've never had an e-reader.

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a great array of books to read 😁. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

pam nash said...

Some interesting books. I think I will have to look for "Belonging" though I think an actual book rather than the kindle version.

CJ Kennedy said...

An eclectic and thought provoking list. I love being able to take my tablet with all the ebooks. I feel so rich being able to take my whole library with me. Happy T Day

Valerie-Jael said...

Reading is a wonderful hobby. I read mostly on my Kindle these, days it's easier for me to see. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

I'm not sure I recognized any titles on your list, which I quite loved. I'm very intrigued with "Belonging." It certainly made a remarkable impression on you. I still like paper books but I'm sure one day I will make the switch.

DVArtist said...

Wow! I'm impressed with your reading. I use to read like that but my eyes just won't allow it. Enjoy your books.

Empire of the Cat said...

I love reading about what books you read last year. I managed to get 52 done, but in the past it has been much more, last year was not a good year for concentration. A lot of mine were also audiobooks, so I could multi-task. The Belonging book sounds interesting, I might have to check that one out. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx