Friday, June 14, 2019

High School Madness



The last few weeks of the high school year are usually extremely busy and often quite chaotic. Our library is closed, but we have the back windows open (those are the windows to the textbookroom) where students can return their textbooks and English novels, pay fines for damaged or lost books and seniors get their clearance so that they can walk in the graduation ceremony.

The first day of this madness I worked on my own since my colleague had a day off, and when I came to work in the morning I was greeted by this:


A non-working computer. Yay!!!

That meant that I packed all the books I received on a cart, wheeled them to the computer on my desk in the library where I checked them in, brought them  in the workroom to clean them and finally back into the textbookroom where I could finally put them on the shelves.

 Please notice the empty shelves...



Our IT guy arrived an hour later, fixed the computer and after that everything went a bit more smoothly.

We usually put the books on carts according to section before we shelve them. It's a more efficient system since we always have to move the shelves. They look strong, but they're very sensitive, and the one thing we don't want during these weeks are broken shelves that don't move anymore. That happened to us last year when we couldn't access the math section anymore.


No matter how many books we received during the day, every evening before I left work most of them were cleared away and the carts were empty, ready for the onslaught of the next day.


The shelves filled up more and more each day.




I actually love working at the back windows because I can see what's going on. Some students were painting the ground and one day during lunch break the band played a couple songs.




The last few days of the school year were minimum days when students went home right after finals. It was lovely to have the campus to ourselves and wander along the empty buildings.




Even the crows enjoyed the quiet.


I finally had time to admire the impressive artwork of our students.




Every evening when I came home I was ready for this before dinner - I think I deserved it after the madness of each day.




9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

You CERTAINLY deserved a sit down with a book, and wine o'clock.
That sort of busyness is truly exhausting. Satisfying, but exhausting.
And thank you so much for sharing the stunning art and delightful campus.

Red Rose Alley said...

The college student's artwork is so creative. When I went to the college I attended years later just for a visit, I looked at the mural of artwork that the students did, and it made me smile. I like that painting of the hands and the plant sprouting up. And the Anne Frank quote is special. It's time for you to rest for the Summer, Carola, and do all the things you love to do on your break. The first thing Jess did was visit the ocean. : )

~Sheri

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is really interesting to see the logistics of the library, something most of us never even think about. It is good to see that real, old fashioned books are still an integral part of a student's learning process. Some of the artwork created by the kids is impressive.

Annie Jeffries said...

You made chaos look good with this little glimpse of the final days of the school year. Ours ended 3 weeks ago.

Karen Lakis said...

Ahhhh technology - it breaks down at the worst times. Good thing the IT guy was able to fix yours. I can't believe how full those empty shelves filled right up - eek - that looks crazy, busy! I like your evening at home, though - very nice setting for a glass of wine!

My name is Erika. said...

You must be relieved that is done with! That is old school librarianship for sure. It is interesting how you store all the school's textbooks and have to sign them out. In my school each teacher is responsible for their own. We also have senior clearance forms and in our school there is a lot of class interruptions getting them signed. Nice to see your campus too. That also looks very different from where I teach. But very pretty. But the madness is done! And your wine and deck chair looks like a fantastic way to relax. hugs-Erika

Miss Val's Creations said...

It is amazing how the right tools can make a job so much easier! That looks like a lot of work keeping the textbooks organized. All the artwork is wonderful.

Mae Travels said...

Street art, murals, sidewalk art, and similar creative endeavors are becoming more and more wonderful. I love the images you posted. It's neat that you could see them while at work.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Sue (this n that) said...

Hi Carola, it was beaut to see what life is like at your school. All those empty shelves to fill. It looks so well organised and you obviously enjoy your work.
Seeing around the grounds was lovely too and I was very impressed with the artwork too.