"The greatest story Jack London ever wrote was the story he lived."
- Alfred Kazin
In summer California State Parks gave out a free pass to all its historic state parks that is valid for the remainder of this year. So a couple weeks ago the Geek and I visited Jack London State Historic Park in the beautiful Valley of the Moon (also the title of one of London's novels), just a short drive from our home. This wasn't our first visit by any means - we hiked here on Black Friday in 2017, we visited Wolf House and the gravesite of Jack London and his wife Charmian (I realized I never wrote about it; I should definitely do that) and I had always wanted to visit the House of Happy Walls.
The House of Happy Walls was built by Charmian London and Eliza Shepard, Jack's stepsister, after London's death in 1916. It was to be Charmian's home and she lived in it from 1935 until 1952. It now houses a museum about Jack and Charmian London.
Admittedly I didn't know much about Jack London. I knew him as the author of "Call of the Wild" and also "The Sea-Wolf" because a popular German mini series in 1971 was based on this novel. It was much talked about back then, but I never watched it. So in short I knew next to nothing about this man who in 1905 had made Sonoma County his home.
Here, in the House of Happy Walls, I learned that Jack London wasn't "only" a novelist. According to the museum he was an
"Internationally acclaimed author, world traveler, able bodied seaman, celebrated lecturer, model rancher, animal rights advocate, photojournalist, adventurer, social activist, humanitarian".
Quite the list.
Jack London was born as John Griffith Chaney in January 1876 in San Francisco. His mother, Flora, was a single mom until she married John London in the same year and brought baby Jack into the marriage (before that he was in the care of a wet nurse, Jennie Prentiss, who was an important maternal figure throughout Jack's life). The family moved to Oakland where he completed public grade school and also met the librarian Ina Coolbrith in the Oakland Public Library who encouraged his learning. At the age of 13 he began working 12 to 16 hours in a cannery and, as a way out, became an oyster pirate. Later, he lived as a tramp until he returned to Oakland and attended Oakland High School. In 1896 he was admitted to the University of California, Berkeley, but financial circumstances forced him to leave the following year and he never graduated. At age 21 he joined the Klondike Gold Rush, but the time in the Klondike was detrimental to his health. After his return in 1898 Jack began his writing career.
Do you think the adventurous part of his life was over? Well...
In April 1900 Jack married Elizabeth Maddern and divorced her in 1904. The couple had two daughters. In 1902 he visited London where he took pictures of people living in the slums of the East End. He was a very skilled documentary photographer and photojournalist (and before you ask, yes, I purchased a big fat volume of his photographs). This is the aspect of his life that impresses me the most. Later, in 1904 he was a war correspondent for the San Francsisco Examiner in the Russo-Japanese War where he was arrested three times in four months. He was released through the personal intervention of President Theodore Roosevelt.
In 1905 he married Charmian Kettridge, a free spirit and each other's soul mates. The went on numerous trips together, including a 1907 cruise on their yacht Snark to Hawai'i and Australia.














20 comments:
Don't apologise for the 'essay'. I loved reading about this extraordinary man. What a character!
I've no read anything by him although I had vaguely heard of him.
The house looks beautiful. And the views are to die for.
Thanks for sharing that.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca
lovely post
Sounds like Jack and Charmian were true soul mates, both having artistic natures. I love the evocative, poetical name "the House of Happy Walls." I enjoyed reading this post, thanks!
This is an outstanding post. I was like you not knowing much about his life. This has opened my eyes to knowing more about him. I do love this place and can see why they enjoyed living there. Thank you for sharing this with FFO and have a nice weekend.
Dear Carola, what an amazing post! I enjoyed seeing all your lovely photos! And that old Royal typewriter...I remember them well! They were noisy and it was harder to press the keys than the computers of today!
Thank you so much for sharing your journey, dear friend.
...since I'm not well read, I knew little about Jack London, other than his name. I also had to look up the term, "wet nurse!" Thanks for expanding my knowledge base.
I hope sustainable agriculture will increase in Europe too.
Great post.
Greetings,
G.
Thank you for an interesting post. Often creative people live an unusual life. He looks like an adventurous man in the photo. The house looks like him.
As a woman my first thought was: Who is this attractive man? :)
Then I found out from your post, and I also looked at all your beautiful pictures.
I like the photos where I can see out the window, so looking from the enclosed world out into the open.
All the best to you. Eva
All I knew about Jack London was his minor involvement in the Klondike goldrush and his novel "The Call of the Wild." I have never read it. This was interesting, Carola. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Carola! Shame on me for letting so much time go by since my last visit to your wonderful blog. I found this post absolutely entrancing. Thank you so much for telling us about your visit to The House of Happy Walls. At first look, I thought … OMG what an amazing structure the House is and that Jack had the idea for it. Then, reading your post I see that it was built by Charmian and Eliza after Jack’s death. So, I don’t know yet … will do more research … but was the stone building Jack’s idea? Of course, the picture of the old Royal typewriter drew me in even more … I learned to type on a manual and love mechanical so much that I purchased a Qwerkywriter … it’s a mechanical keyboard to use with my computer. 😊 Then, I got going on Jack as a photographer … looked on Amazon and bought the book: Jack London, Photographer, a hardback. My fascination continued when I saw the picture of the map, on the wall, Cruise of the Snark. Got online and found a PDF … OMG again … what a voyage … especially at that time. You’ve given me my next research (for fun) project. Sorry for making this comment so long … but it’s so great to be here at carola bARTz again! Wishing you and the Geek a fine weekend and happy week ahead. Hugs, John
A wonderful post about the author and that house is gorgeous, I think.
It's too bad KS doesn't give out free passes to our parks. You are lucky and blessed. I enjoyed learning more about Jack and Charmian, along with his farming practices. Happy belated FFO.
I really enjoyed reading this, Carola -- I didn’t know much about Jack London before, so your post was eye‑opening. What an adventurous life he led in such a short time! The House of Happy Walls looks beautiful, and I love how you captured both the history and the cozy atmosphere.
Dear Carola, I am stopping by to look at your beautiful photos again! Those houses are amazing!
I hope you have a lovely week ahead!
Great post, and wow those views are incredible.
All the best Jan
Me ha encantado conocer sobre la vida de Jack London, me parece que fue una gran persona. Besos.
Wow. Well, first of all, the house is fantastic! I love visiting places like this and it doesn't disappoint -- inside or out. I never knew much about Jack London, either and certainly many of the things you included here really surprised me. So thanks! More things learned today!
Der Seewolf von Jack London, ich habe die Serie damals verschlungen und dann auch gelesen. Es ist lange her. Schön, dass du seine Geschichte so hautnah erleben konntest und ich dadurch so viel über diesen Schriftsteller erfahre.
Danke und viele Grüße
Anette
I too did not know very much about Jack London and now I can see what an interesting and full life he lived and all with 4 decades, amazing! Thanks, Carola, for providing this background info on his life and home.
Post a Comment