Friday, September 11, 2026

An Overdue Visit to the Laguna

 

It's been almost a year since I was last in the Laguna. I have no idea what kept me from visiting for such a long time, since this is a place I always enjoy when I'm there. So a couple weeks ago I finally decided to go there again.

It was an overcast morning, typical for many summer mornings in my corner of the world. I chose to walk the Laguna Wetland Preserve Trails.

Right at the beginning I noticed that one of the old and majestic oaks had fallen over. I assume this happened during the partly very wet winter we had. But what was this? There were things hanging from the branches of the fallen tree, and when I got closer I realized that these were some fiber creations. After I had returned home I did some research and found out that this art installation is called "A House without a Key" and was created by artist Melissa Jones. This is her Master's thesis project and consists of several elaborately knitted pod-like hanging structures that look vaguely like the nests of the Eurasian Penduline Tit (Remiz pendulinus)

Just a few days ago, the art installation mysteriously disappeared. Maybe someone mistook it for yarn bombing, which the artist says it definitely wasn't, and just took the "nests" down. It should be noted here that this wasn't a "wild" installation but it was put up with the approval of Public Works. Maybe someone took them down because they were concerned about the well-being of our local songbirds since yarn can pose a hazard to songbirds.

Maybe it would have helped if there had been a text or explanation next to the tree. There wasn't.

The Laguna Wetland Preserve Trail is my favorite trail in the Laguna. Less people walk here and it is full of life with little critters and birds. The Laguna de Santa Rosa is one of California's richest freshwater wetlands. Bald eagles, river otters, mountain lions, bobcats, coyotes and over 200 species of birds depend on the Laguna for food and shelter. It is an important feeding and resting stopover on the Pacific Flyway, a major migratory route for birds.

It is also home to many wildflowers. Wild Carot aka Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota) is abundant, both still in its bloom and as beautiful seed heads.


Chicory (Cichorium intybus) is just as common and easily recognizable by its sky blue color.

Together with Wild Carot it makes a beautiful display.

There was still some Shortpod Mustard (Hirschfeldia incana), but the season for them was definitely coming to its end.

This is Bristly Oxtongue (Helminthotheka echioides), a plant I was unaware of until then. It looks splendid past its prime. It's a non-native invasive plant with yellow flowers. It seems that all the plants I saw that day are non-natives.

The following, however, is a native, our beautiful California Wild Rose (Rosa californica) and its rosehips.


These beautiful seedpods belong to Wild Radish (Raphanus sativus), an aggressive non-native invasive plant in the mustard family. It is actually quite beautiful in bloom with white and soft pink flowers. 

I was wondering why nothing is being done to control non-native plants in this area, and I can only think that this is done either on purpose or they just don't have enough staff. Having to work with not enough staff unfortunately is a problem that many of these places (like our regional and state parks, not to mention the National Parks) have to deal with. It is certainly not carelessness.

Another invasive plant we're all familiar with is Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis). Beautiful though.

A little critter (I assume) has made this place its home.

I like how fallen trees - most of them native oaks - are left in place where they can slowly decompose and still offer so much (food and shelter) to the wildlife.


Beside the Mourning Dove in the picture above I saw and heard Bewick's Wrens, White-tailed Kites,  Black Phoebes, House Finches, Song Sparrows, Lesser Goldfinches, California Quails, a Nuttall's Woodpecker, Spotted Towhees, Bushtits and of course American Crows.

It was a splendid morning!

The flower faces are for Nicole's Friday Face Off, but for those who prefer more "human"-like faces, I have these three guys:








19 comments:

Tom said...

...what a place, I'd happy to just enjoy those twisted trees. The flowers would be a bonus. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

My name is Erika. said...

This Laguna Trail looks like a lovely place to walk. And this is a great time of year to visit too. Those passe flowers and seed pods are amazing. I think the end of season pods and dried blooms are as pretty or sometimes even prettier than the flowers. I really like the seedpod photo. And I know what you mean about taking so long to return to a favorite walking place. I do the same thing, and I also think why did I wait so long? Have a lovely rest of your Friday and weekend. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos

The Rev. Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

Melissa Jones' art installation must have been a delightful sight in real life. I can understand people's concerns for local songbirds, but just dismantling the installation is vandalism in my mind. I love the shots you took of the chicory, and agree that they pair beautifully with the wild carrot. I love discovering critter burrows too, and admire their craftsmanship. Shalom, my friend!

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Dear Carola, beautiful pictures. Thank you so much for sharing ❤️ 💕

DVArtist said...

What an amazing place. I have never been there. I have to agree with taking down the yarn art. Too bad there was no an explanation of the art. I do know that here outdoor art like this is only up for a short time. I do find the art fascinating. Now for the rest of your photos. Stunning! I use to find chicory and wild carrot in N. ID but not here in OR. The Bristly Oxtongue is so pretty to me. Here, in my part of OR. the invasive plants here are just left to take over. Not sure why. However, all of your photos are fabulous and I enjoyed this post very much. Thank you for sharing with FFO and have a nice weekend.

Lisca said...

Thank you for taking me on the trail and explaining all about the flowers and plants that I saw. I don't know any plant names so that was much appreciated. It certainly is an amazing place. As it's called The Laguna, would there be water too?
My brain jumps to a book that I read by Barbara Kingsolver. I think it was called Laguna. An unforgettable book.
Enjoy your weekend,
Lisca

Veronica Lee said...

What a beautiful walk through the Laguna! I love how you captured not just the plants and birds but also the little mysteries along the way, like the fallen oak and the fiber art. It’s always amazing how much life and story a trail holds when you slow down to notice.

Michelle said...

This is a beautiful trail and I like the art installation. I also like the combo of the Queen Anne's Lace and the Chicory.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s a shame that the art installation was taken down, but a notice board with a few words of explanation might have been wise. This is a lovely place, Carola, and now that you have “rediscovered” it I suspect you will be visiting it a little more frequently. Ticks are increasingly a problem and some areas of southern Ontario they have been especially bad this year. It’s always wise to check thoroughly. Big hugs - David

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, that tick check cartoon, LOL! I hate ticks and now I'm afraid of them because the ones that carry disease are moving north to Canada due to global warming. On a brighter note, I'm home again now and back to daily blogging!

Natalie Leung said...

Wow! So beautiful!! I love seeing native flowers from other countries, the ones we have in Australia are vastly different and are built differently for our harsher climate. The Chicory is just a stunning blue !

Jeanie said...

What a remarkable place to visit and what a terrific collection of wildflower. As always, your photos are beautiful and really tell the story.

Jeanie said...

What a great collection of wildflowers! Your photos, as always, are wonderful. What a great place to visit!

Neuer Gartentraum said...

Liebe Carola,
jetzt verstehe ich wirklich nicht, wie du es geschafft hast, diesem schönen Ort fast ein Jahr lang fernzubleiben. 😉 Dein Bericht vermittelt wunderbar, wie viel es dort zu entdecken gibt, wenn man mit offenen Augen unterwegs ist.

Besonders interessant fand ich den umgestürzten alten Baum mit den seltsamen Gebilden darin. Die Idee der Künstlerin gefällt mir, und gleichzeitig finde ich es schade, dass offenbar keine Erklärung bei der Installation stand. Gerade bei Kunst mitten in der Natur möchte man doch wissen, was sich jemand dabei gedacht hat. Dass die Werke inzwischen verschwunden sind, macht die Geschichte beinahe noch geheimnisvoller.

Sehr gefallen hat mir auch, dass die umgestürzten Bäume liegen bleiben dürfen. Ein alter Baum hört ja nicht auf, wertvoll zu sein, nur weil er gefallen ist. Er wird einfach auf eine andere Art Teil des Lebensraums.

Und deine Fotos zeigen wieder einmal, dass Pflanzen nicht nur während ihrer Blüte schön sein können. Gerade Samenstände haben oft ganz eigene, wunderbare Formen. Die Wilde Möhre ist dafür ein besonders schönes Beispiel.

Danke für diesen stillen Rundgang durch die Laguna. Ich wäre sehr gern mitgewandert.

Liebe Grüße
Anette

Tampereen Mummu said...

Beautiful blue flowers. Have a nice day, Carola.

Barwitzki said...

Das war ein wunderschöner Spaziergang, liebe Carola. Es ist großartig, daß du dich in dein Lieblingsgebiet aufgemacht hast und du wurdest wirklich mit viel Schönheit belohnt.
p.s. ich bin sehr für Kunst zu haben, bin aber der Meinung, daß sie nicht unbedingt an jeden beliebigen Ort gehört, vor allem wenn sie dann der Witterung, Natur und Tierwelt ausgesetzt ist und diese stört.
Danke für deine vielen Fotos, liebe Carola, es freut mich immer sie anzuschauen.
Liebe Umarmung von Viola

Lowcarb team member said...

I like that you wrote "It was a splendid morning!"
It certainly looks it :)
I enjoyed your photographs.

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Otro precioso reportaje que me ha encantado. Abrazos.