Monday, February 19, 2024

The Art & Soul of Spring

 

After spending most of the past weeks at home with only short walks in the neighborhood because of my stupid knee, I drove to the lake last Wednesday. While I couldn't walk for an extended period, I did a bit of walking and sat on a bench, writing in my journal and just enjoying the view and being out in nature. I had missed that so very much. In March I will have surgery on the knee and I hope that after that I will eventually be able to hike again.

That Wednesday was the only day in the week with some sunshine; all the other days it rained and especially this president's weekend has been quite stormy again. Nevertheless, on Saturday we met up with friends for some wine tasting and this serves as my ticket for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday.

The rest of the rainy days I was working on a new spread in my art journal. I started out with a page where I had already spread some leftover paint and now glued down several torn book pages. It looked rather chaotic and not very inspiring.

I had a half-baked idea in my mind and wanted to add some pink or magenta.

Oh dear! That was a little bit too bold even for me, so I tried to tone it down with some titanium buff.

I was struggling how to get out of this ugly phase and just left it for a day. When I came back later, I painted the entire page with a layer of titanium buff and added some pictures of mainly pink flowers.

That already looked a lot better. I decided I didn't like the look of the titanium buff and mixed white gesso with just a little bit of quinacridone magenta to achieve a light pink color that I painted around the pictures and across the page. I also pressed a heavy fabric stamp into parts of the gesso mix and painted that with watercolor.

Finally, I stamped randomly with my French text stamp, called the page "The Art & Soul of Spring", glued down some bits of texts I had cut out of German magazines, framed them with watercolor crayons, added a flower-shaped ribbon and used a stencil with differently sized dots and white gesso - done. 

I'm quite happy with the result. I hadn't thought that I would end up with this after I had got stuck in the "ugly phase". 

I hope everyone has a good T Tuesday and a lovely week.


17 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Oh Wow those views are so awesome, sorry you are having troubles walking now. I loved seeing the process of your journal pages and really love the final pages-very pretty with happy vibes.
Happy T Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

That is a beautiful view in your first photo Carola. I bet it felt good to get out and enjoy the sun. Hopefully the healing time after your surgery won't take too long either. And it's fun to see your stages as you created that wonderful flower spread. I didn't expect flowers and pink when you showed the earlier views. I hope you don't get too much rain with this latest storm, and that you have a great T day too. hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

No fun having a bad knee keep you from enjoying the outdoors! I hope your surgery will be a success.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...I love the landscapes, water makes things twice as nice.

DVArtist said...

Wow! Those are stunning photo Carola. Everyone I know who has had knee surgery has come out on the other side better for it. You will be hiking again. I do like seeing the stages of your art work. Have a really wonderful day today.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, such beautiful views and vistas - love them 😊. I hope your knee feels better soon, sending you get well wishes! I so enjoyed seeing how your beautiful art journal pages came together too. Take care and wishing you a very Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics.Sorry yourknee is playing you up, hope the surgery helps, it did for me! Loved seeing how your journal page changed and then the finished page, great! Have a happy T day, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Your wine tasting sounds fun. And I absolutely love all the work you are doing in your art journal. I've heard they get you up and walking quickly after the knee surgery and into PT fairly fast. I hope yours goes very well indeed.

DUTA said...

I'm afraid your art work in this post is "greek to me", but I do like the pink color shades and the flowers.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Love the views of the lake. Hope your (not stupid) knee is better soon. A short walk is better than no walk.

That spread ion your journal turned out great, but I had my doubts ion the middle of the "mess." I have NO idea how you pulled that out, but it turned out great in the end.

Nice to be able to join friends in a wine tasting. Did you find something you liked? Thanks for sharing your art, lake shots, and wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

CJ Kennedy said...

I really enjoyed watching your process from idea to the way you liked your pages best. It looks very Spring-like. Happy T Day

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad that despite the knee issue you were able to get out and enjoy some nice weather and thanks for sharing these great views as well, Carola. I have been reading about the deluges in CA and glad to know you are doing OK. As you said, it wont be long before we are hearing about drought conditions there.

While I don't understand all the art processes you posted about, the overall end result with the flowers was quite lovely and so th magenta color worked out well in the end.

Violetta said...

WOW, die ersten beiden Fotos sind ja echt ein Hit. Und gegen ein gutes Tröpferl habe ich auch nichts....obwohl ich bin eher Biertrinkerin. Das Art Journal ist eine nette Idee. Danke für Deine netten Blogbesuche bei mir.
ALles Liebe und eine gute Zeit
Violetta

Lorrie said...

How beautiful the lake scene is, full of hopeful signs of spring. There's been a lot of grey days and rain in your area, ours, too.

Barwitzki said...

Wundervoll sind die Fotos am See mit diesen herrlichen Schäfchenwolken,
die wir nur im Sommer haben... nun der Frühling steht bevor, zur Zeit mit viel Regen, aber die Schneeglöckchen stehen in schönster Blüte und die Vögel
fangen am Abend bereits an zu singen.
Ich drücke dir die Daumen für deine Knie OP. Ich hatte auch mal eine und seit dem ist mein Bein wieder in schönster Ordnung. Also, guten Mut, liebe Carola.
Dein Kunstheftchen ist wundervoll geworden, der Geist braucht Zeit, um ich
auszutoben... ich bin neuerdings total für pink zu haben und die Worte in
deutsch sprechen mich natürlich besonders an in Kombination mit den durch-scheinenden Buchseiten. Schön.
Weinprobe klingt auch ganz fantastisch... ich mag vollmundig roten Rotwein besonders gern und im Sommer auch einen leichten Weißwein... bis dahin ist noch ein Stückchen. Eine Umarmung für dich von Viola

Veronica Lee said...

Wow, those views are absolutely stunning!
Sending you lots of well wishes for your knee to feel better soon!
Your art journal pages coming together was such a joy to see.

Hugs and blessings, Carola

Teresa said...

Te ha quedado precioso. Yo también tengo que operarme de rodillas ( las dos ). Besos.