Monday, January 31, 2022

Exploring the Possibilities

 

Usually I don't choose a word of the year. I used to do it a few years back, but I eventually found that I could never find a word that would guide me through the year. After a couple months it disappeared into the background never to turn up again. I then decided that a word of the year is not for me and just because everyone else is having one doesn't necessarily mean that I need to have one as well.

This year though was different. The word found me.

Just like in the past years I didn't think of a word. The thought didn't even pass my mind. But suddenly, out of nowhere, it was there - "explore". And I thought "how fitting for this new chapter in my life", the life after work at the high school. Since I had left my job last summer my days were full with my other job (teaching German) and my Etsy shop that became very busy as soon as September rolled around, but has slowed down a bit now that Christmas is over. Now I can explore.

No, I won't fly solo around the world - I'm not Amelia.


I sat down with my art journal and explored "explore". Beneath all these layers of paint and papers is my writing, my thoughts and hope for my version of explore. I want to spend more time in nature again, maybe even try some nature journaling. I want to learn bird identification by their sounds. I want to write more and read more non-fiction. My garden calls to me every day and I plan to transfer it even more to a low water garden, using less and less water on drought tolerant plants. I still need to learn - explore - a lot in this regard. There is also art journaling that I would like to explore more deeply - and for that reason I enrolled in Laly Mille's art journal class. 

But most of all I want to go back to photography and explore it more. I have missed "serious" photography these past two years a lot. Yes, I took tons of photos with my phone, but I actually want to get my dSLR out again and play around with my camera, be creative with different settings and depth of field. I know how much this makes my heart sing and how I view the world from different perspectives. It makes me more observant. I'm dreaming of trying new things, maybe even black and white photography. I want to use my skills because I know that photography is the art form I can do best and I enjoy the most.

I will still use my phone since I am not always able to carry my big camera everywhere. The phone is definitely much handier (is that why it's called "handy" in German?). But I have found a backpack that has a front compartment that is designed for "real" cameras and has a quick access door on the side so it's easy to retrieve the camera from the backpack without taking off the whole backpack when I want to take a photo. I'm still thinking about it because it's quite pricey, but I'm very tempted.

I loved to create this art journal spread! While doing it I enjoyed my coffee with lots of milk and every now and then some sweet cream (thank you Trader Joe's for carrying it). Here you can see one of my favorite mugs bought in my favorite national park. This is my drink for today's T Tuesday post - thank you, Elizabeth, for giving us this opportunity.


26 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Good old Trader Joe's! I shopped there today, and filled my cart to the brim with mainly shelf-stable foods to have in case of a big storm or some other apocalyptic event that we don't know about yet. I didn't, however, buy coffee creamer!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Kate Yetter said...

A great journal page and such a great word for the year! Adorable mug.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Linda Kunsman said...

That is a beautiful journal spread, and what a great word for all you are looking to do this year! I love how you blended the photos into the pages as Laly shows us so well. Here's to exploring, and happy T day!

My name is Erika. said...

I was never very good with words for the year either. Until I retired from teaching that is, and with covid. I feel the word I picked for 2021 helped me get through the tough days, and I am hoping that is also true for 2022. Your journal page is great, an I love how you have some definite ideas what you want to do with this new year. Goals are good, aren't they? Good luck with all your plans and I hope you have lots of exploration. And I love how phones are called handy in German. Happy T day, week ahead and February also. Hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

I think explore sounds like a perfect word for the year-so many possibilities too. I have never chosen a word for the year as of yet-always too limiting for me, but I can see it could give one focus for the upcoming year. I love seeing your journal pages-and I Love your mug very much Happy T Kathy

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love how your WOTY found you. You even justify it, too. I love the journal spread you created. It's a bit late now, but you could have shared it at Art Journal Journey, because it has a face on it. Sadly, by the time you read this, we will have a new host and new theme. However, I am delighted you are getting into art journaling again, as well as photography, which I have always admired in your work. I'm moderately jealous of your art journal class with Laly Mille. She is the best when it comes to teaching. I know you are going to love her class.

What a wonderful mug. Yosemite is a great park to visit. You and Erika ought to compare notes as she was just in CA visiting several national parks. Such a cute mug and the coffee is just the way I like it, too. Thanks for sharing your new word, your art journal spread, and your bear crossing mug with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful word for the year - ripe with so many exciting possibilities. Have fun.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your art journal page is wonderful, and explore is a great word, let's hope t will take you places. Taking more photos is a great idea, so buy that backpack! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Divers and Sundry said...

A real camera would be fun. My husband has some interest in making photography a retirement hobby, but it sounds expensive...

Happy T Tuesday

Let's Art Journal said...

Such beautiful art journal pages! The way you have combined the images with the stenciling is amazing - love it 😀. Your mug reminds me of our trips to Yosemite and a trail ride we went on where we saw a very large fresh bear print, luckily we didn't see the bear! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Red Rose Alley said...

These are nice things for you to explore this year. I think you would like the black and white photography. I took a class many years ago, and we even made our own negatives. It was such a thrill to watch the pictures appear in the dark room. The art journal pages with the Amelia and the boots are delightful. I'm sure you'll have fun in the art journal class. Your Yosemite cup is cheerful and just right for Spring. Haven't been there yet, but would love to visit.

Happy February days, Carola.

~Sheri

Empire of the Cat said...

I love the story of how your word found you. I have tried various ways of finding "my word" in the past, and last year it wasn't a good option. This year though I have three, and they kind of found me too. Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Iris Flavia said...

A great word... and work!
To a happy and productive 2022! An arty one, too.

Barb said...

I'll be excited to learn where your explorations take you, Carola. I believe as long as we keep exploring, we keep growing emotionally. This winter I'm thinking about creating more of a wildflower space on our property after the snow finally melts. We have more sunlight now that the trees are cut. My gardens are always a free for all, but I do enjoy seeing what comes up each summer. Happy journaling!

Lisca said...

Explore is a good word. It found you, so that can't be bad.I have never done a word of the year, but if one finds me, then I will.
I hope you take up photography again, and I shall look forward to your photos. I hope you will be able to afford that special rucksack. It would make going out with the camera so much easier. I know exactly what you mean and I have been looking for one like that too.
Your journal page is great. It's good to think about what you would like to achieve and then go for it!
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Jeanie said...

I love this! It's like a vision board on a page. And what a wonderful word. This is the first year in many I haven't picked a word. I have only one and it's not optimistic so I hate to pick it, though I might. It's Endure. Which is what I feel I have to do this year. Again.

Oh, what a grim page that would be! I really do love the colors you chose, the uplifting feel, the wonderful words. It had to be great fun putting this together.

one irrational bean said...

Love your page. You have some great goals for the year. I love the word explore. Looking forward to seeing what you create. Enjoy,
Nanski

Sharon Madson said...

Love your journal spread and your word! I see you still have your Yosemite mug. Happy T Day!

nwilliams6 said...

Carola, I love that your personal thoughts and feelings are under your layers of media and paper - I am going to try that too. Love the word explore too. Your journal pages are very cool and so much to look at and think about. Thanks for sharing these bits of your life and thoughts. New chapters are only wonderful if we explore.

Your mug is fun (I add lot of milk too).

Happy T-day a bit late. Hugz

DVArtist said...

I don't know how I missed this post. I agree, explore. Lovely art.

CJ Kennedy said...

Explore. What a great word! And with your journal pages and list of things to do, read, and study, you're off to a great start. Happy T Day

Caty said...

Explore is a great word Carola ! We can explore everything. Your art journal page is absolutely Amazing, love the layers and texture, and the colours and images soo. Wonderful !
Happy belated T-day ! This is a beautiful cup.
I wish you a very nice Thursday, stay safe and big hugs
Caty

Michelle said...

I am with you! I need to get out my DSLR camera and get back into photography. The past year, or so, I have relied on my phone, but it is not the same. Wishing you well on this quest :)

Gretchen Joanna said...

Your exploratory energy is truly inspiring. I think it's already springtime in your mind and heart.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such beautiful art, and a lovely mug for T-day.

Happy February Wishes.

All the best Jan

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You have picked a great word, Carola, and it seems like you are already to forge ahead in 2022. I agree with your comments about getting back to photography using a camera vs. a phone even though I also use both. I enjoyed my SLRs and later DSLRs, but they became so cumbersome to carry around with assorted lenses. I would be interested in knowing about the backpack you mentioned in this post.