Monday, December 20, 2021

T is for Tender-Crisp Gnocchi

 

The cooler season is the perfect time for enjoying brussels sprouts. I remember that as a child I didn't like this vegetable very much, mainly because my mom used to cook them in boiling water. They were mushy and that was the way my dad liked them and remembered them from his childhood. I am still surprised that my mom, who was a very good cook, made them this way and never tried a different approach. Because of this I always stayed away from brussels sprouts - until I came upon a recipe that I thought sounded too good to pass by. It has become a favorite in our household.

The recipe for the crisp gnocchi with brussels sprouts and brown butter comes from the cooking section of the New York Times, but of course I put my own twist to it.

These are the ingredients that you will need for my version:

1 pound brussels sprouts (give or take a few)
1 organic lemon
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (divided in 3 TBSP and 1 TBSP)
kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 tsp red-pepper flakes (more if you like more heat)
18 oz shelf-stable or refrigerated potato gnocchi
6 TBSP unsaltetd butter, cut into 6-8 pieces
freshly grated Parmesan (for serving)

Trim and halve the brussels sprouts. Peel thick strips of lemon zest and coarsely chop them.
In a large skillet (I use my cast iron pan), heat 3 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add the brussels sprouts, season with 1/2 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper, then arrange them in an even layer, cut-side down.  Sprinkle the lemon zest over the top and cook without disturbing them until the brussels sprouts are well browned underneath, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the red-pepper flakes, stir and cook until the brussels sprouts are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl
.

In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-high. Break up any gnocchi that are stuck together, add them to the pan and cook, covered and undisturbed, until golden brown on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Check after 2 minutes to avoid that the gnocchi burn which can easily happen if you're not careful.

Add the butter, season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper. 


Cook, stirring, until the butter is golden and foaming, 1 to 2 minutes.


Stir in the brussels sprouts until warmed through.


Serve with freshly grated Parmesan - the cheese will quickly melt into the dish.


Enjoy this delicious dish with a glass of good pinot noir - my chosen drink for this week's T-post, hosted by the lovely Elizabeth of the Altered Book Lover


To all of you T gang people who celebrate it, I wish you a peaceful and blessed Christmas.




21 comments:

Mae Travels said...

That looks totally delicious. I can see what you mean about mushy Brussels sprouts vs. nice crisp ones like these.

I hope you'll have a wonderful Christmas.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

What a delicious looking dish-I can't remember are gnocchi made from potatoes? thanks for sharing.
Merry Christmas and Happy T Kathy

Linda Kunsman said...

This sounds amazing!! Thank you for the recipe- I love brussels sprouts- like this:)And I have done a one pan gnocchi with shrimp dish my hubby and I both enjoy too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy T day, and a Merry Christmas too!

Red Rose Alley said...

Your Tender-Crisp Gnocchi looks delicious, Carola. I love all the ingredients that goes into making this dish. You know, I still cook the Brussels sprouts like your mom, in boiling water and sprinkle them with salt and pepper after. You can really taste the vegetable that way. You are such a good cook, and doesn't butter make everything taste better?

~Sheri

Sharon Madson said...

I am glad you found a recipe you like for brussels sprouts. However, give me the gnocchi, but I not eating the brussels sprouts! I used to make my kids eat them, now none of us like them! LOL Have a great T Day and a wonderful Christmas.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always serve Brussels sprouts at Christmas, so this sounds absolutely perfect. Yours look so beautifully done, too. I enjoyed the step out photos showing each process along the way. I can see why this recipe would go great with your pinot noir. Thanks for sharing this with us for T this almost Tuesday, Carola. And a blessed Christmas to you, too, dear.

Iris Flavia said...

OH! I LOOOOVE Brussels Sprouts!
And yes, in the pan! Yum! Cheese - good idea!

If you have left overs... do you know Jan´s super-recipe?

Merry Christmas and a happy T-Day (I´m using "Tempo" a lot right now, ewww...)

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you. My mother (who cooked brussel sprouts till they were grey and soggy) told me I couldn't be a vegetarian if I didn't like them. She was wrong, and I have long been thinking that I should give them another try. When they come back in season I will try your recipe.
The very best of the season to you and yours.

nwilliams6 said...

YUM!!!! Now I want to try it. Great looking wine too.

My Mom cooked it by boiling too - we all hated them! Now I love them just about every way. Funny how things we hated can become so popular.

Merry Christmas, Carola. I always enjoy your posts - they are always a pleasure and always open my mind to new things or a better ways of seeing old things. Hugz

My name is Erika. said...

I'm with you about brussel sprouts. Then a few years ago I went out for a drink and snack with a friend and we had some roasted ones. They were delicious. I love the idea of serving them with gnocchi. It looks very delicious. As well as a glass of wine, and it is only breakfast time now. Have a wonderful T day, week and Merry Christmas also Carola. Hugs-Erika

Divers and Sundry said...

I still don't like brussels sprouts, but the gnocchi looks tasty. Happy T Tuesday!

CJ Kennedy said...

Sounds like a delightful dish and a nice change of pace from meat. Happy T Day

Lisca said...

That looks really delicious! I don't like sprouts either (for the same reasons as you have) but this sounds like the thing I would like to try. Thank you so much for this recipe. Sprouts are usually not available, but at Christmas the shops here gets some in for the British who can't think of Christmas without sprouts!
Greetings from sunny Spain,
Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy 2022.
Lisca

Valerie-Jael said...

Yummy, I would really enjoy your meal! Veggies always taste nicer pan fried, Happy T Day, have a great Christmas with your family! Hugs, Valerie

Jackie McGuinness said...

Always loved sprouts!

DVArtist said...

Ohh I just wanted to grab a plate through the PC and have dinner. That is a fabulous recipe. Have a wonderful evening.

Jeanie said...

That looks super delicious -- especially with the Brussels Sprouts!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoy Brussels sprouts, but unfortunately cannot convince Grenville to eat them, so this delicious dish will have to be enjoyed solo or perhaps with a friend. I also like your choice of accompanying wine, Carola.

Lowcarb team member said...

We enjoy Brussels Sprouts, in fact I bought some when I went shopping earlier today.
Merry Christmas Wishes.

All the best Jan

Empire of the Cat said...

Well your sprouts look very tasty. I suffer from the same childhood trauma of eating boiled sprouts lol so I rarely eat them and usually only at xmas, Festive Wishes and Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Looks delicious. Happy Holidays!