Friday, May 20, 2016

Food Heaven

A couple hours ago I was quickly browsing my news feed on Pinterest and saw a picture of a food counter in Harrods, the famous upmarket department store in London. It brought back memories of our trip to London in the summer of 2014, and of course we visited Harrods at that time. I wanted to show both the Geek and Kaefer the amazing food hall.

But before I show you pictures of the Harrods food hall, I want to show you two images of the ceiling - two very different ones.



Both were so pretty and quite well demonstrate all the ornate details that went into the construction of this beautiful building.

Harrods is expensive. Not really my place to shop, but it's wonderful to walk around and look at all the displays. The food hall is amazing and, to be honest, very decadent.

Sausages, cold cuts and all kinds of meat...


and a rich variety of yummy looking pies that I bet were delicious.


Wonderful Charentais melons which in my humble opinion are the best melons in the world - small, juicy and sweet. The Charentais originated in the 1920's in the Poitou-Charentes region of western France. It is a very delicate melon and highly valued, but usually is not commercially shipped (Charentais in the United States - if you're lucky to find them - are mostly imported from Mexico). I remember them from growing up and living in Europe; I've also tried to grow them here in California, but haven't been very successful.


Let's go to the sweet treats that we all love so much. What about cupcakes - luxurious ones, of course!



Or perhaps you like figs much better and want to try all these different ones? With candied ginger? Or walnuts?


I was drooling over this display - chocolate is totally my thing and I wish I could have tasted them all!


Could someone please give me this little gift box? Come on, I'm really not asking for much!


And since we're in London, capital of the tea drinking nation, there's tea - lots of it, of course.





13 comments:

windrock studio said...

Oh, those ceilings! the pies! and chocolates! But my favorite is also the little gift box, makes me swoon!

Vagabonde said...

Harrods’ Food Hall is a heaven for foodies, for sure. Your photos give a good example of all the luxurious delicacies that can be found there. The last time I went there was many years ago, just after Harrods’ owner Mohamed Fayed had erected a memorial to the late Princess Diana and his son, Dodi. I took pictures with my film camera – I need to find them, but they are not good as pictures taken with a digital camera. I believe I bought some old postcards showing the food hall in olden days. The food was certainly tempting, but very dear, as you said. I think I did buy a tin of tea, just as a souvenir, and a Harrods bear, for my daughters. It was nice to see this hall again through your pictures.

Elephant's Child said...

Oooooh.
Years back we found a chocolatier who also sold coffee. The aroma of that shop was heaven on a stick (says the woman who can no longer drink coffee and shouldn't consume chocolate.)
My English mother told me that when she was growing up Harrods also had a zoo and you could purchase a lion!!!! I don't approve, but would my hypocritical self would have loved to have seen it.

The Cynical Sailor said...

Your post is making me so hungry! Those pies looks so delicious. You can't really find savory pies too easily in the States, which is a shame as I bet they would be really popular. Cheers - Ellen

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Hallo Carola,

da waren wir auch vor einigen Jahren mal drin. Bin fast an meiner Spucke ertrunken, so lief mir das Wasser im Mund zusammen. Unglaublich, was es da alles gibt! Aber die Preise waren auch ganz schön happig.

LG
Renate

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This all looks like works of art rather than food. Amazing.

I love the ceilings, especially the molded one.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, what an experience to see! I can't even imagine! Who buys it all? I wonder if they have day olds? LOL!

GreenComotion said...

Wow - decadent is definitely an understatement.
The photographs made me drool, but I can't eat anymore tonight :)
Will have to go see Harrods when we go to London.
Have a Happy Week, Carola!
Peace :)

Barb said...

A photographers's dream place! However, it's just before supper here in CO, and your photos have me drooling.

Bethany Carson said...

Oh wow...those chocolates look *sooo* good! If I did buy you a gift box, I don't think it would make it to your house! I'd probably eat it on the way... Those ceilings are awesome! Thanks for sharing such a lovely place with us!

Linda said...

The ceilings are amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed this tour, your photos are lovely. Thank you so much for sharing.

gina said...

What fun -- you have me drooling! Your food images are wonderful, I especially like the box of chocolates. The ornate details of the ceiling are really works of art. Thanks for sharing!

LL Cool Joe said...

I am a Brit, and live about 45 minutes from London but have only been to Harrods a handful of times but the presentation of everything in the store is amazing. Way too expensive for me, but lovely to look at. Your photos are beautiful.