Monday, May 1, 2023

Morning Hike in the Laguna

 

After I had been to Crane Creek on Wednesday, I decided to hike in the Laguna Wetlands Preserve on Friday morning. Thursday had been a hot day with temperatures in the lower 90s, but Friday was a bit cooler. I decided to go early since the Laguna has a lot of open spaces without much shade and it tends to get quite hot.

This is a premier bird watching area and when I was getting out of my car, I was greeted by a Brewer's Blackbird who loudly announced my arrival.

Only a few minutes later a Red-winged Blackbird landed on another "Boundary Trail" post and I saw a  Song Sparrow on a fence post (I think; I have a hard time identifying sparrows). I heard Red-shouldered Hawks but wasn't able to take a picture, instead I captured this majestic Turkey Vulture.



I started my walk looking for wildflowers, but in contrast to Crane Creek two days before, I didn't see any native wildflowers. This is a completely different terrain, very wet in the winter and extremely dry in the summer. 

Ribwort Plantain (Plantago lanceolata), a non-native noxious weed, but so far not on the invasive plants list - yet. It's beautiful.


Common Salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius), an edible root plant. I have many of them in my garden. 


Wild Radish (Raphanus sativus), non-native as well, that forms pretty clumps in the meadow.


Meadow Foxtail (Alopecurus pratensis) on the left, which is potentially invasive and, of course, non-native. On the right is Wall or Foxtail Barley (Hordeum murinum), non-native as well, and I have seen it in some places really taking over the space. Fortunately so far it behaves here.


My favorites are the remains of Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota), they are so fragile and beautiful. Very soon the new ones will come up - it's a great pollinator plant.



The oak gall (on the left) is an abnormal plant growth found on foliage and twigs of many species of oak trees. They are produced by small oak gall wasps. Adults lay eggs in expanding tree buds and leaves in the spring, the larvae then feed, pupate and emerge from the gall as adult wasps. These galls do not cause significant damage to trees. The plant on the right is a different story. This is non-native Curly Dock (Rumex crispus), an edible weed that is found in many open areas of the Laguna. It matures to a rusty red in late summer and fall - maybe that color gave it its botanical name, it does look rather "crisp" in the fall.


Very soon I turned to the left, one of my favorite trails in the Preserve.


It didn't take long until I reached one of the creeks. Signs of the wet winter were everywhere, but the water of the usually flooded area in winter has already receded a lot.



This female Mallard enjoyed hanging out on this tree stump, her companion not far away.


I always love the Laguna de Santa Rosa with its many trees that are reflected in the water. The seasonal bridge wasn't in place yet. In winter many many Black-crowned Night Herons, Green Herons and Cattle Egrets roost here, but this time I only saw one Green Heron taking off.


This is where I usually cross over to the meadow. Good thing I was wearing my hiking boots!


So close to the meadow there are many birdhouses put up in this area. 


The meadow is called Meadowlark Field, but so far I have only heard the Western Meadowlark here, but have never seen it. Apart from the beautiful trail I showed you above, this is my favorite part of the Preserve. There are some beautiful oaks standing here, but most of the trail through the meadow is in full sun.



I often stop at the tree above and sit at the picnic table, writing in my journal or just day dreaming. There are not that many people who walk this part of the trail.

Of course, the Laguna is not short on crooked and dead trees.




Look who was hanging out on this dead trunk in the photo above!


And there's another one!


On my way back to the parking lot I saw some California Poppies - finally some native wildflowers! They do pop with their happy, feel-good color.


Since this is for T Tuesday over at Bleubeard and Elizabeth I need to provide a drink. We already saw some birds in this post and I will finish it with one - one of my bird mugs that is my morning coffee mug. I love my coffee with lots of milk - my black coffee-days are long over. The roses are from my garden, "Sheila's Delight". And if you're wondering about the vase - it's a wine bottle that my wine maker friend cut down to serve as a vase. Recycling at its best.







20 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your walk looks glorious. So many beautiful birds, flowers, and trees.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

You took us on a wonderful hike in nature-I enjoyed everything.The oak galls are used in the natural dyeing process as well-if I remember right it serves as a mordant (fixative) for the color in the dye bath
Lovely mug too Happy T
Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

You have so many wonderful places to walk Carola, and today's photos are also very beautiful. It's interesting that on your woodland favorite trail the trees haven't fully leafed for the year. It looks similar to here in New Hampshire right now.And your garden roses are just gorgeous. I love how it looks like you have books in your dining room. I have a friend who has that also. I think it would be great to enjoy a morning coffee with fresh flowers and all those book titles.Have a great T day, and happy May to you. hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

Yet another truly beautiful walk - thank you. I really like your roses, their vase and the mug too.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You may rest assured, Carola, that the sparrow is a Song Sparrow, and you may go to the top of the class for SparrowID, an exalted spot not occupied by many! What a gorgeous place to go for a walk. I suspect that you will go there often, but better to pick a day when the heat of the sun doesn't fry your brain. Hugs - David

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful pictures, Carola. Looks like a lovely place to walk and photograph. Love the old trees - such interesting shapes and textures. Love the flowers (in all the pictures) and vase. I put plenty of cream in my coffee too.

Happy t-day and hugz

Divers and Sundry said...

What a wonderful place for an outing. I enjoyed my virtual walk, thank you :) The nature photos are a treat to see. Happy T Tuesday

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Carola,
what a beautiful place for a walk. I love the plant photos too, the queen ann lace is lovely isn't it. Not seen blackbirds like those before, we just have regular blackbirds with yellow beaks. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Carola, you saw some wonderful plants and birds on your hike. It's a wonderful place to be, that's certain. Thanks for sharing the fantastic photos. Happy T day, hugs, Valerie

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carola, thanks for taking us all along on your hike and it does seem like you had the entire woodland to yourself, Aside from those colorful poppies, I was surprised that there were not more colorful blooms aside from the wild radish and foxtail. We are in the midst of a very soggy week, which I know CA has recently been experiencing. My plans to go for an extended walk in the nearby park are on hold as it would be very muddy even with hiking shoes.

The repurposed wine bottle/vase was great. I hadn't even though of what the container was until reading the explanation.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful collection of sightings, Carola. This is a fabulous walk and I don't know which I love more -- your beautiful birds or the wonderful blooms! (I'll give the coffee a pass!)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a wonderful walk you shared with us. I love that you even knew the names of all those birds. That's impressive.

Some of those trees are very unique and gnarled. I like the path you followed to the water, too. What a fun and enjoyable post with amazing photos (as always).

Years ago, I bought a kit that included a way to cut one of those bottles. I tried it and it didn't work for me. I thought it was because I didn't press on the glass enough. A friend tried one and it broke, so I'm impressed your friend got such a clean cut. I never did got one that that looked right to me.

I started drinking coffee in my milk when I was 15. My grandmother knew I didn't like milk and after trying cocoa, she tried coffee. As the months passed, I asked for more and more coffee until I got about 50-50 coffee to milk. Out on my own, I discovered half and half and have used it ever since. Now I am trying to cut back and I drink black coffee at least twice a week. It could be because I bought coffee beans I really LOVE that are even "stronger" than my French Roast.

Thanks for sharing your amazing walk, your roses in a wine bottle, and your adorable bird mug filled with coffee and cream.

Iris Flavia said...

Sehr, sehr schön - besonders der tote Baum! Tot, übrigens: Danke, jetzt habe ich Tom´s K-mart-comment verstanden. "Bummer". K-mart Australia ist wirklich gut! Und wie ich es verstehe auch noch da.
Wir hatten hier mal Wal-Mart, die waren so schlecht, sie mussten gehen.
Schlecht im Sinne von... "zu billig gemacht" for den deutschen Geschmack.

Latane Barton said...

What an interesting walk, so many beautiful things of nature to see and enjoy.

J said...

Carola your walk is beautiful, so many wild flowers and birds, pretty coffee cup and flowers

Michelle said...

Your pictures are lovely. We have quite a bit of Queen Anne's Lace here on our farm. It is a favorite of mine.

Lisca said...

What a beautiful walk! Thanks for sharing so many birds, trees and plants.
The roses next to your coffee are gorgeous. Are they fragrant?
Belated happy T-Day,
Lisca

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow! That was a super nature walk, the birds you saw are fascinating. Your bird mug is beautiful! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Amila said...

Wow! Beautiful photos from your hike. I like all these nature photos including the flowers. The first photo of trees is amazing!
Thanks for sharing all these. Have a great weekend ahead and a Happy Belated T-day!
Amila - Diaryofanewmom.com

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous photographs.

All the best Jan