Monday, May 8, 2023

Into the Redwoods

 

California's Coast redwoods, Sequoia sempevirens, are among the largest and oldest living organisms on earth. Fossil records show that redwoods grew during the Jurassic period, at least 200 million years ago. They are exceptionally long lived. The oldest known coast redwood dates to 480 BCE.

Up North in Eureka in Humboldt County on the coast is Sequoia Park, a grove of redwoods with a Sky Walk. This Sky Walk is 100 feet above the ground and offers a different view up into the canopy of these majestic giants. I had long wanted to go up there - it's an four hours drive to Eureka - and when Kaefer was here in February we finally made the trip up there.

But first - breakfast. We started very early in the day and arrived in Ukiah just in time for a breakfast treat and some really good coffee at Black Oak Coffee Roasters. This beautiful cup of delicious coffee hopefully qualifies as a drink for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday.

Very soon we were back on the highway, winding our way up into the mountains. The heavy marine layer got lighter and finally broke off completely. A beautiful sight!

This is an area deep in the forested mountaineous area with absolutely no reception - here, you can still find these things in the reast areas on the side of the highway. Remember those?

It was late morning that we arrived at Sequoia Park. We got our tickets and walked over to the Sky Walk. Oh, what a sight!


Redwoods can reach an age as much as 2,500 years. The trunk diameter is as wide as 29 feet (8.8 m) and its height as high as 380 feet (115.8 m). For such tall trees, redwoods have surprisingly shallow roots, seldom more than six feet (1.8 m) deep. But what they lack in depth, they make up for in width. The root system of a mature old growth redwood can be more than 300 feet (91 m) in diameter. This root system and its shallowness can be a real challenge in an urban setting, where people unfortunately have planted these trees without taking its height and root system into consideration. Eventually, they will buckle up sidewalks and streets and can even damage the foundation of buildings. Simply taking out a redwood is not that easy - they are protected and require a special permit for removal which is quite expensive. Best solution: don't plant one in your backyard or in front of your home - it doesn't belong there in the first place. (When we were looking for a home to buy, a redwood in the garden or next to the house was a no-no for us; now, we have a small redwood grove across the street.)

This was the comfortable, sturdy part that is also wheelchair accessible. It slowly makes its way up into the trees.



Then there were the not so sturdy parts - the real fun part, high up among the trees.



We were able to get a close look at the bark of the trees. There were signs requesting not to touch the trees, just use our eyes. I just hope everybody respects that.



Before logging began, these massive and majestic trees covered more than 1,500,000 acres from Big Sur to just past the Oregon border along a coastal corridor less than 40 miles wide. Today only a tiny fraction of that ancient forest remains, much of it in Humboldt County. 

Redwood has been woven into the fabric of life on the North Coast for hundreds of years. First Nations peoples revere the trees and traditionally relied on them for shelter and canoes. Euro-Americans harvested redwoods in almost unimaginable quantities to build towns and cities across the West (our home is built of redwood), all but eliminating original old growth forests.

Looking down and looking up...





Redwoods are fire resilient. Large trees are able to survive moderate intensity fires, but if their crowns are scorched, leaves can be damaged or killed. Fire damaged redwoods have the astonishing ability to regrow their crowns and sprout new trunks from their base. You can imagine how important this is in our landscape that experiences wildfires every year.



Even though it was a sunny and moderately warm day (after all this was in February), it was quite chilly in the redwood grove. We felt the dampness hanging around and lowering the temperature quite a bit. However, the redwood canopy teems with life. Plant species normally found on the ground take root in soil formed from decomposed redwood needles, twigs and bark flakes. Lichen and mosses grow on the thick bark. Insects and birds flit among the branches and animals scurry about, some communting to the forest floor, others permanent residents.

Simply put, it is fascinating.














23 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

REdwoods are amazing trees. I've visited Redwood National/State Parks and also Muir Woods on a different trip, and they are really amazing. That sky walk looks fun, and even a little scary. I'm going to remember that when and if I ever get back to Northern California. I like it there so I think I probably will someday. Thanks for sharing these fun photos. Have a great T day and week ahead Carola. hugs-Erika

Latane Barton said...

truly amazing. I want to go!!

Mae Travels said...

I've seen coast redwoods in a few places but was not aware of this fantastic sky walk set up. I would love to see it in person, but I thank you deeply for sharing such a great series of photos to give me the idea of its beauty and majesty.

best,mae at maefood.blogspot.com

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is magnificence writ large, Carola. I have visited groves of trees on northern Vancouver Island that filled me with awe, and they would not compare with the giant redwoods, so I can only imagine my emotional state if immersed in this majesty. It gives me tremendous vicarious satisfaction that when Kaefer comes to visit, these are the places you take her to. It speaks volumes as to the glue that binds your family, a love of nature, shared values. I am left humbled from every vantage point. You have no idea what it means to me that there are still people like you out there. I feel it a great privilege to have met you. Con mucho cariño - David
PS Have you read "Finding the Mother Tree" by Suzanne Simard? If not, you have to get it today!

Iris Flavia said...

LOL, Ingo´s Kaffee... sieht weniger süß aus - die Maschine macht ein "Loch" und das sieht aus wie.... naja.
Darum trinke ich Tee!
Hier gibt es noch solche Telefone.
Interessant mit den Bäumen. 1995 konnte ich das auch noch, heute ist meine "Höhenangst" zu groß. Ich weiß gar nicht mehr, wo das war! Giant Tree Top Walk, brr...

Valerie-Jael said...

How I would love to visit there and go across that walkway, although I would perhaps have difficulties with my rollator! Your photos are fabulous, thanks so much for sharing. And the coffee looks my sort of coffee! Hugs, Valerie

DUTA said...

Great sights of the Redwoods!

pam nash said...

Such beautiful trees.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I learned so much about redwoods today. They appear to be truly amazing trees. Chalk up another thing we have destroyed, or seemingly tried to. It's great there are still a few areas left that are preserved. What a fun looking sky walk.

Was that a cat's paw in the coffee? So cute. Thanks for these wonderful photos and history lesson you have given us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Empire of the Cat said...

That would be so amazing, I've always wanted to go but now seeing the walkways really makes me want to go more. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, how I would love to make this trip! To be up close to these majestic trees must be quite an experience!

Happy T Tuesday

Kate Yetter said...

I have never been to see the Redwoods but want too. Wow, are they massive! I love seeing all the walkways between trees, it's like a treehouse. Looks like a great time with your daughter. Will she be home from college soon?
Love the paw print in your drink.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

jinxxxygirl said...

I love the redwoods and celebrated my 25th Anniversary with a trip through them. I wish i had known about that skywalk several years ago... This year we celebrate our 34th.... Thank you for all your lovely photos Carola! I think that was a bear paw on your coffee... ?? Happy T day! Hugs! deb

kathyinozarks said...

Wow what an amazing place to visit-love that you can walk into the trees-looks so fun. I have never been west of Colorado, so I enjoy your posts.
Happy T hugs Kathy

Mae Travels said...

You asked, on my blog post about my current (adult) dollhouse, if I had pictures of my childhood dollhouse. I just added a post with photos. It’s not the actual one I had as a child but of very similar items that are now sold at collectible websites. We had very few photos when I was a child as my parents never had a camera, and no one then would have thought to take pictures of a dollhouse. The invention of digital cameras has changed everything so much!

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

nwilliams6 said...

Wow. This is a beautiful place and those trees are so majestic. So glad someone is protecting them now. What a cool skywalk. My favorite picture is the one of your daughter and husband peaking around the tree. Super fun. Love the cute coffee too. Happy T-day a bit late Carola. GREAT pictures. Hugz

Jeanie said...

That is such impressive territory! I can see why you wanted to visit and I'm glad you could do it while Keifer was still here. It looks like a fabulous day out!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carola, this was such an amazing walk among the Redwoods and now I hope to be able to visit one day, although not sure when. The Sky Walk would be a bit daunting I confess, but it surely provided some spectacular views and after all that's the point of visiting. Glad that you shared your tour with Kaefer and a lot more information about these amazing trees. (The coffee looked good too.)

Michelle said...

Wow, lucky you! I need to make a visit there. These trees are so magnificent.

Sharon Madson said...

Amazing photos! It is on my bucket list. Don't know if I will ever get there, though. Happy T Day. (very late)

Caty said...

These redwoods are impressive Carola! They have an admirable beauty. When I think about how old they are, it saddens me to know that at any moment, they could die in a fire. I wish you to live well until the end of your days. How I wish I could see some redwoods in person! Thank you very much for these Gorgeous photos, it is a true delight for the eyes, and for the soul. Your coffee must have been delicious. Hope you had a lovely T-day.
I wish you a nice Thursday, big hugs, Caty

Barwitzki said...

Großartig... ich liebe es.
Vielen Dank, liebe Carola, ich bin begeistert von deinem interessanten Beitrag. Und sicher kannst du dir vorstellen, dass ich liebend gerne die Bäume in natura sehen würde... hoch oben zwischen diesen Bäumen zu sein, was für ein Segen. Ich danke dir. Viele liebe Grüsse von Viola.

Thank you very much, dear Carola, I am enthusiastic about your interesting contribution. And I'm sure you can imagine that I would love to see the trees in person... to be high up among those trees, what a blessing. I thank you. Much love from Viola.

Lisca said...

Thank you for showing those beautiful redwoods. Magnificent! I am in awe. And I've learnnt a bit more about them too. I have never seen a large redwood for real, although they have planted a few redwoods in the UK in a park called Center Parks. And they are large but nothing compared with the ones you showed. A,azing!
Lisca