Wednesday, May 17, 2023

13 Minutes to the Moon

 

Rain's prompt this week is "Moon Phases" - I can't really write a lot about that, but I do have a few moon pictures that I have taken over the years. The one above is a moon rise on Christmas Eve over the enchanted land of New Mexico. We were traveling on Interstate 25 from Santa Fe to Pueblo in Colorado when we saw this spectacle in the sky. Fortunately there was an off-ramp close by, so we could safely stop and take pictures of it. I loved the pink shade in the sky as well as on the moon. Only a few minutes later it looked very different.

One evening when the Geek and I walked the neighborhood we watched the full moon and noticed the wires as well. I decided to let it sit on this wire.

Or what about a pole dancing moon?

A few years back, when we returned from an event at the Pepperwood Natural Preserve we were lucky to see the moon rising from behind the trees.


This is another full moon seen over Pepperwood just a few months ago. Here, I didn't have my camera with me and had to make do with my Pixel phone.

I especially love the full moon when the sky is cloudy, it is so atmospheric.




Of course we shouldn't forget about the moon during a lunar eclipse. This is the Super Blue Blood Moon from January 31, 2018.


As a child I was fascinated by the Apollo program, especially the Apollo 11 moon landing. A few years ago I listened to "13 Minutes to the Moon", a BBC podcast about the Apollo 11 mission (later followed by a second season about Apollo 13). It was just as fascinating. 

Back when we traveled to Washington D.C. - a gift we gave to ourselves when Barack Obama was elected the first Black US president - we of course visited the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum where the Apollo 11 command module is on display. It was so tiny! How could three grown men fit in there? It must have been highly uncomfortable.


Now let's get back to Mother Earth and see what's for dinner. The weather has been so nice lately that we started to eat outside whenever possible. We recently got this beautiful picnic table from friends who wanted to get rid of it. It's beneath our big tree now - actually I'm sitting here while I'm writing this post.


That evening we had leftover spaghetti that I sautéed with zucchini, eggplant and red bell pepper. This is also the time to open up the rosé wine bottles - oh, lovely!


This, of course, I am sharing with Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date.



13 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I LOVE your moon shots which are far and away better than anything I have achieved.
Your dinner looks great too.

roentare said...

What a great series of full moon! Love the colour

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I can truthfully say, Carola, and with a straight face, that I don't have much experience with pole dancing, but I know what is involved, and I suspect that mooning might be a regular component of this noble art! Hugs from Ontario - David

Valerie-Jael said...

LOVE your wonderful moon photos, the moon is always so fascinating. The food looks great, too. Have a wonderful day, hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

You have some gorgeous moon photos and your camera is so sharp to capture them so beautifully as well. Some wonderful skies!

DVArtist said...

What a wonderful post. I love all the photos of the moon. I so enjoyed going to the Smithsonian what I was in DC. A lovely spread too. Have a nice day.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

That is a very nice picnic table! Your moon photos are spectacular. One the wire and the pole are two of my favourites. Really love the compositions.

-Soma

My name is Erika. said...

These are amazing moon photos Carola. I love the one of the the wire and telephone pole. And I've seen an APollo space ship also, and I can't imagine traveling through space in something so tiny. Hope you are having a wonderful week. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...I've tried to photograph the moon and I'm always disappointed with the results, what's your secret? Oh how I miss Barack Obama! Dinner looks fabulous at your place. Enjoy your weekend.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I am a lover of moon shots as well and yours are indeed wonderful. I remember the moon landing and I have seen the Apollo 11 Command module and had the exact same reaction ... I was claustrophobic just looking at it. Lovely table and food ... love anything with spaghetti in it. And yes, a lovely Rose (How do you get the umlaut over your e in Rose? ... My keyboard doesn't seem to have it :(

Andrea @ From the Sol

Gillena Cox said...

Gorgeous moon pics

Much💖love

Veronica Lee said...

Your moonshots are incredible!

And dinner looks delish!


Hugs and blessings, Carola.

Fundy Blue said...

I enjoyed your moon photos, Carola! The moon sitting on a wire and on a post made me laugh. Isn't the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum wonderful? There is so much to see! Is the photo of you and your daughter? It's very sweet! I always forget to share some food for Rain's TADD. We just finished a brunch of homemade blueberry pancakes. Whatever dinner is tonight, it's going to be light fare after gorging on pancakes and maple syrup. Have a good one!