Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Cloudy Morning Walk

 

This morning I went to the farmers market and on my way back home I spontaneously decided to stop by the lake. It had rained the day and night before, so everything smelled so fresh. Some of the trails were a bit muddy but not too bad. Since I hadn't planned on this, I didn't have my camera with me. All of these photos were taken with my cellphone.

This little guy was my "greeter" when I left the parking lot - and he wasn't the only one. I hadn't seen that many Acorn Woodpeckers in this place before! 

It was a cloudy morning with still some rain dropping every now and then. The reflections were lovely. The lake seemed so calm.




There were wildflowers on the side of the path and up the slopes. Some of them I had seen in the other parks, some not.

California Buttercup (Ranunculus californicus), a native...


... Forktoothed Ookow (Dichelostemma congestum), another California native...


... and of course our state flower, the California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica).


More views of the lake:




This little family kept a safe distance from the shore.


There were several thistles, but I have a hard time identifying them exactly - there are so many different kinds that all look so similar.


Hairy Vetch (Vicia villosa) is found throughout much of North America where it is naturalized (it originated in Europe and Asia).  It's a very sweet flower that can cover large areas.


Rattlesnake Grass (Briza maxima) is not native, but located throughout the coastal ranges of California, and has spread into many grassland regions. It is quite invasive, but its ecological impact is minor. It's one of my favorite grasses and makes a great companion for the Hairy Vetch.


This, however, I wasn't happy to see - French Broom (Genista monspessulana), an aggressive invader that forms dense stands that exclude native plants and wildlife. It's increasing fire hazards. It looks beautiful, but appearances are deceptive. I hope that the goats will eat it to the ground (before it sets seed) when they will be brought in a bit later in the year (one of the Regional Parks' way to keep fuel for a wildfire to a minimum).


The Miniature Lupines (Lupinus bicolor), however, were a very welcome sight.


The lake area is not short of crooked and dead trees. The second one is my personal favorite.



It was a lovely walk.


Getting out and about makes hungry eventually. What about some cheesy and spicy black bean bake? It was quite filling! This is for Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date.





16 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What a BRILLIANT idea. And thanks for taking us along. I had a busy day in the city today and your photos are solace and heart balm.

My name is Erika. said...

That lake was definitely worth the stop. It looks beautiful, and you snapped some really lovely shots Carola.I've never seen an acorn woodpeckers before. And your cheesy bean bake looks really yummy. Happy rest of your week. hugs-Erika

roentare said...

Such a tranquility of a lake. The cheese bake is yum!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think my car would be encoded to turn in there automatically, Carola. What a gorgeous spot, and with Acorn Woodpeckers in the role of official greeter how can it get any better? It is a beautiful spot, and based on these pictures taken with your phone you could easily leave your camera behind. The quality from these small devices is really quite remarkable. Be sure to go back often and send more pictures. Oh, and by the way, identifying thistle drive me crazy too! Hugs from Ontario - David

Christine said...

Gorgeous photos what a wonderful world we live in. Delicious bake.

Valerie-Jael said...

What a wonderful walk you had! Thanks for sharing the lovely photos, hugs, Valerie

Gillena Cox said...

I enjoyed the walk. Thanks for taking us along.

Much💖love

John's Island said...

Hi Carola, I just looked through your last 3 posts: Cloudy Morning Walk, Morning Hike in the Laguna, and Fiddlenecks and Tidy Tips. Your blog is a perfect example of my favorite style of blog. Excellent photography, good descriptions and captions, and an appealing design. I am going to take a look at my Blogger Dashboard and research the Themes to see if I can figure out the one you are using … it is just perfect for those of us who like to go out on a walk/hike/adventure, take some photos, and share on the blog. Lots of excellent photos in this post and thank you, Carola, for sharing. John

Veronica Lee said...

I enjoyed the gorgeous photos from your morning walk, Carola.

Hugs and blessings

Tom said...

...Carola, of course I love your flowers, the landscapes are fabulous. You are fortunate to live in gorgeous part of the world. Enjoy your weekend.

Mae Travels said...

What a beautiful walk. Your photos are fabulous.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Wow! These are wonderful photos. However, dinner looks amazing. Have a nice weekend.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Gorgeous photos of your beautiful serene walk! Beautiful trees and flowers. You found some really nice ones, except for the invasive species of course. I love spotting wildflowers along the trails too. Nothing like good comforting food after a walk, your bean bake is perfect.

-Soma

Lowcarb team member said...

You, and your cell phone, have taken and shared some lovely photographs :)

Your cheesy, spicy bean bake looks tasty.

All the best Jan

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

That is the first Acorn Woodpecker I have seen, what a treat. And your lake is lovely as well ... I think your phone did a splendid job of capturing all the beauty. Unusual for the geese to have only one gosling ... perhaps a first time mother and father :) You are blessed to have so much nature close to you. I did when we lived on the lake, but now, though we have some open areas that attract birds it is sparce.
The spicy black bean bake looks good ... I tend to love anything that has cheese in it. And yes, black beans are filling and musical, if you get my gist :)Enjoyed this post immensely, Carola ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Rain said...

Melted and broiled cheese does it for me every time Carola!! Your dish looks so delicious, and the lake looks so serene. I'd love to walk out there and take some time on the rocks by myself! ☺