Wednesday, October 18, 2023

The Call of the Coast

 

Goat Rock Beach

It was the Geek's birthday at the begnning of October and we opted to spend the day at the coast. We don't give presents to each other; we rather spend a beautiful day together. It's only a short drive to the coast, but by the sea feels like being on vacation in a different world. You just need that every now and then.

We started at Doran Beach in Bodega Bay and slowly made our way north up the coast, walking at favorite beaches. The weather was a very mixed bag - a swift change from thick fog to clear skies and sun and the other way round as well.

This is what it looked like from the cliffs on our way down to the beach...

... and this is what it looked like at the beach. There are only a couple minutes between these two photos. (The picture below is Portuguese Beach, "our" clean-up beach where we used to participate in the state-wide coastal clean up day in September; unfortunately we can't join that anymore since it is always on a Saturday and I have to be at work.)

This is a typical Northern California day at the coast.

While walking along the beach, I enjoyed seeing all the "stuff" that the ocean swept onto shore, without knowing what you call most of these (well, I know kelp and crab of course).





Feathers could be found everywhere and they make a beautiful subject. I assume it's from a gull - more on gulls in a later post.

This "creature" was my favorite:

Of course I couldn't resist sticking my feet into the surf. The water wasn't as cold as I had expected, maybe because the beach here (Doran Beach) is rather shallow and in a protected bay. Usually the ocean along our coast is freezing, being supplied with nice cold water coming down from Alaska.

Someone had played with sand - Stonehenge on the beach.

I always look for shells and I found a couple beautiful pieces.

At Goat Rock Beach - my all-time favorite beach - we hung out on a large piece of driftwood, looking out onto the foggy ocean.

The gulls kept us entertained. We also saw Brown Pelicans swooping over the ocean, barely touching the water. They are such graceful birds and always look a bit primeval.

We ended the day with a visit to our favorite seafood place, Betty's Fish & Chips. It's hard to beat their seafood and we always compare seafood that we eat anywhere to them. So far only the Seafood Shack in Gualala comes close. We find that many places make the batter too thick (probably to save on the fish), but at Betty's the batter is just right and the cod can't get any fresher.

I'm sharing this delightful, tasty fish with Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date.



14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What a magical day - and a perfect way to celebrate.

roentare said...

The crab shell is most lovely

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola, das sind sehr stimmungsvolle Impressionen von eurem Tag am Strand. Ich kann mir gut vorstellen, dass sich das wie ein Kurzurlaub anfühlt. Toll auch deine Aufnahmen von den Strand-Fundstücken, die ich ebenfalls nur teilweise identifizieren kann. "Stonehenge" aus Sand finde ich besonders originell. Das Meer geht mir hier in Österreich schon ziemlich stark ab...
Alles Liebe und schöne Herbsttage, Traude
🍁🌻🍂 🌻🍁
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/10/auf-dem-schneeberg-und-noch-ein-paar.html

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You give the best birthday present of all, Carola, time spent together, and in such a wonderful spot too. The beach is fascinating. Whenever I go to the ocean I am amazed by the variety of stuff that washes up (including garbage, unfortunately) and I take great pleasure in trying to identify it all. I never succeed, of course, but I seem to be able to piece together enough of it, to understand the food chain, and the relationship between the life forms I see. Miriam takes lots of pictures and then I spend happy hours with my beloved books trying to weave the whole story together. And you capped it off with delicious fish and chips, and - surprise, surprise (NOT) - no plastic in sight. KUDOS to you. Bravo, Carola. Hallelujah for a conscience. There are seemingly intelligent people whose blogs I follow who will use plastic cups, straws, plastic cutlery etc without a moment’s thought for the environment. They are effectively stating to their grandchildren, “We couldn’t care less about your future, we’ll just keep adding plastic pollution to the land and the ocean.” But I digress! Happy birthday to the Geek!

Iris Flavia said...

Ein besonderer Tag ist 1000 Mal besser als etwas Materielles. Wir schenken uns wenn dann spontan zwischendurch Etwas.
Wundervolle Fotos vom Strand, danke für den mini-Urlaub.
Das Essen sieht auch toll aus. Auch wenn ich Fisch nicht so sehr mag... In Freo werd ich auch Fish´n Chips essen! (Hier haben wir nur Nordsee oder teure Restaurants).

DUTA said...

Happy belated Birthday to your hubby!
Walking along the coast while contemplating the beach and sea, is a fine dayout! The delicious fish meal at your favorite seafood place , marks a perfect finish to the birthday celebration.

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks for your lovely photos and yummy meal.
Happy Thursday

Much💛love

Jeanie said...

This does look like a wonderful day. I know what you mean about the presents after a certain time in life. This is much better!

Christine said...

Love these photos of the sea! The fish and chips look good too.

DVArtist said...

Fabulous post. Bringing back lots of memories for me. That fish n chips look so good. Thanks for sharing this.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh I envy you being so close to a shore ... I am as far away as you can get from either shore (Midwest). Of course, I have Lake Michigan, but even that is a hassle to get to since our shoreline runs along the border of Chicago and suburbs. These were lovely pictures (my favorite was the feather :) and a good Fish & Chips Restaurant is a plus. I am sure if I searched I would find one in our area, but so far I haven't found anything exceptional. So, I do my own fish here at home which I am sure wouldn't sell in a restaurant :) Have a lovely week, Carola. Do you get fall colors where you are? I hope so because they are exquisite this year.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Teresa said...

Un paseo precioso para celebrar el aniversario, me ha encantado porque me gusta el mar y pasear por la arena. Gracias y besos.

Rain said...

Fish and chips!!!!!! Yummmmmmmm!!! ☺☺ I love the photos you showed Carola, such a pretty spot. Love the seashells!

Barb said...

Happy belated birthday to your husband. We don't exchange gifts either. In fact, we're trying to get rid of "things"! I love the photos of your beachcombing on the beautiful foggy day. Yum to your dinner!