Monday, October 9, 2023

The Garden in Late Summer

 

It's been a while.

When I started my break in August I thought I would be back in September, but it's well into October now that I finally feel like blogging again. And what better way than re-starting with Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday?

My break was rather uneventful - I didn't go anywhere, but I took more time just to rest, sit in my garden, read or just watch the birds. I loved to hang out under the privet tree and look up - a messy and invasive tree that was already here when we moved in. It is a great shade tree and the birds (and other little creatures) love it. It is teeming with life. 

At the begining of September the new school year at the German School started and I was busy preparing new classes, visiting teacher workshops, going to teacher meetings and attending board meetings. I have a couple new students and the school year has been off to a very good start.

What truly rattled me was the fire on Maui that destroyed Lahaina. I visited Maui back in 2016 and never liked it as much as the wildness of the Big Island, but old Lahaina was my favorite place there. The speed and the surprise effect of that fire reminded me a lot of our wildfire back in October 2017 that burned down entire neighborhoods in our town within just a few hours. It didn't take much imagination to picture what the people on Maui were going through in the aftermath of that horrible day. 

Being in the garden helped a lot - which was soon prevented by wildfire smoke reaching our area (from the fires further up North) - I assume those of you who experienced the smoke from the wildfires in Canada know what I'm talking about.

The view from my porch

This year I was able to observe a lot of insects on the plants in my garden. Of course there were bees, many of them native bees, and Fiery Skippers (Hylephila phyleus) who have found a place in my heart a few years ago and never left. They love to hang around the Vitex and Verbena bonariensis.


There were some kind of blowflies (I can't identify flies), a damselfly and Mediterranean katylid (Phaneroptera nana), the latter being invasive in California. He (or she?) has impressively long antenna.


This summer there were more butterflies in my garden than usual. I was able to capture a few, but many just fluttered by without ever getting their picture taken. The first two pictures are of an Acmon blue (Icaricia acmon) and number 3 and 4 are of a California Hairstreak (Satyrium californica, left) and a California dogface butterfly (Zerene eurydice) which is the California state insect (which I didn't know before).



The Vitex agnus-castus flowered well into August and still is stunning with its by now spent flowers. Soon I need to cut it back. I loved the waning first supermoon in August above this beautiful small tree.

In my last garden post the grapes of "Roger's Red" (Vitis californica) were still very small, but in August and September they went through their path of exciting change. 

From this...

through this...

to this...


Now I'm waiting for its stunning fall color.

Late summer, of course, is for sunflowers, but I was pleased to see that my wild sweet peas were still blooming. The spent Centaurea that I only planted this spring looks quite beautiful.




The native naked buckwheat (Eriogonum nudum) was flowering for the first time and while it looks rather fragile, it is a pretty robust plant.


And who doesn't like Sedum "Autumn Joy"? I like the phase when their flowers start to turn pink.


Thankfully I had more time to watch the birds, but didn't really take a lot of pictures. Mostly, I'm sitting close to the bird feeders, reading a book or knitting, but without my camera. These three pictures of an Oak Titmouse (Baeolophus inornatus) and a California Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma californica) were taken with my phone and therefore not particularly good.


This is the girl who's sitting under the birdfeeders - better her than the real predators.


We had many meals outside, either just the two of us or in the company of friends. A nice refreshing rosé is the perfect summer wine. This is for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday, because we can't go without a drink!







21 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

It's nice to see you back online Carola, and back for T especially. It's so lovely to see your garden and read about some relaxing summer days. My August was relaxing also, but now that the colder temperatures have arrived, it's good to "look back" at August. Your garden is really lovely, and I bet it's wonderful to have dinner out under the stars in it. Your photos are lovely too, and it was fun to read and see all the excitement in the garden. Happy T day. hugs-Erika

Kate Yetter said...

I am always amazed by the variety and beauty of your garden. And you get great shots of the insects in action! Your skills certainly come in handy. Enjoy the last buds of summer!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are definitely one with your camera. The close ups of the butterflies were stunning. I was blown away. Truly! The same goes for the flies. Those close ups are what caught my eye.

Love the grapes, the sunflowers, and the adorable kitty sculpture. I could sit here all day and see something new in your photos. No wonder you love your garden so much. I miss my sedum. I brought some with me to Wichita, but it didn't like it here. It gets too cold in winter here.

It's always fun to have friends over to visit. I love that bird tablecloth and I love that you served rose wine with your meal. Thanks for sharing your incredible back yard and your wine with us for T this week, dear Carola. SO glad you are back!!

DVArtist said...

I guess I didn't know you are a teacher. Or if I did my brain forgot. Glad it's a good start. I love you garden and everything that is going on in it. Wonderful photos. Have anciie evening.

Iris Flavia said...

Ich glaube hier gibt es wenige Lehrer, die sich fortbilden. Oder Professoren, ich hatte einen, der hat vor versammelter Mannschaft eine Studentin so lange zusammengestaucht, bis sie weinte.
Also "thumbs up" fürs Fortbilden!
Schöner Garten und manchmal bin ich wirklich dankbar in so einer "langweiligen" Region zu wohnen - weder Überschwemmungen, noch Feuer.
Willkommen zurück in der "Bloggerwelt" :-)

Elephant's Child said...

Welcome back. I have missed your posts. I would love to spend time in your garden with you.

roentare said...

Beautiful tableware on presentation.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Welcome back, Carola.I was very happy to see your name pop up in my blog feed. You obviously had a delightful time on your break and it looks like summer was kind to you. Great pictures on this post. Thanks especially for the butterfly gallery. Best wishes - David

Divers and Sundry said...

What a wonderful space you have! We have invasive privet here, but I've never known it to get that HUGE! Yikes! Happy T Tuesday

Jeanie said...

A break of nothing in particular can be a very good, very restoring thing and I can see why you spent a lot of time under the privet and in your beautiful garden. And boy, is it stunning. I'm impressed with all your blooms and with the the butterflies, too. Welcome back, Carola. You were missed!

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you had a good break! Your garden is absolutely gorgeous, what a lovely place to be. Thanks for sharing te wonderful photos! Have fun back at school, too! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Gretchen Joanna said...

That's a beautiful autumnal garden! And your tablecloth is the perfect one for enjoying your meals out of doors, with birds who won't want a share of your food.

A Mediterranean Katydid visited me in my upstairs bedroom last week. I doubt it really wanted to be in there, so I managed to carry it in a jar out of doors again. It had traveled from the hallway where I first saw it, too tired that night to do anything about helping him out; to behind the door of the bedroom the next day; then Oh! I was surprised to find him on the bathroom faucet when I got up one morning. I didn't know they were invasive. I saw one last year, and so far one this year...

Mae Travels said...

Sitting in your garden for 8 weeks — idyllic! But I’m glad you are writing again.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Lorrie said...

A blog break can be a good thing, and I'm glad you enjoyed yours. What lovely things are still blooming and buzzing about your garden.

Empire of the Cat said...

It's funny how when you start a break, it ends up being longer than planned and it can be hard to come back to normal again isn't it. Your garden is beautiful, I can understand how reading in the garden would be perfect there. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

Lowcarb team member said...

Welcome back Carola.
Lovely to see this post and catch up with you.
Your photographs a joy to see.

Enjoy your October days.

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Tus fotografías están preciosas. Un beso.

Violetta said...

Beautiful autumn pictures, dear Carola, und danke für Deinen netten Besuch - als geborene Deutsche verstehst Du das hoffentlich noch :-)
have a good time and alles Gute
Violetta
https://violettaarden9.blogspot.com/2023/10/herbstzeit-dirndlzeit.html

J. S. Vila said...

Beautiful photographs of north California. Ever is good to see beautiful gardens. The water is the best for this plants

Tom said...

...Carola, your garden is a HUGE WOW! It has a fabulous eclectic feel. The butterflies are the frosting on the cake. Thanks for showing me around, take care and have a great week.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Welcome back, Carola, so nice to read this post and see what's been going on in the garden and with yourself. There is nothing "wrong" with what you called an uneventful break of not going anywhere, but staying home to enjoy which you certainly did and that outdoor dining was perfectly wonderful too.