Wednesday, October 25, 2023

It's Almost Halloween

 

Halloween used to be a fun holiday for us as long as Kaefer was still living here, and especially when she was younger.  I used to decorate the house and we both had a lot of fun with that. Nowadays my Halloween decoration is reduced to a bare minimum (as are also any other holiday decorations). There are two craft pumpkins outside in the front garden that I painted several years ago.

A few years ago I had bought eight small pumpkins and painted and arranged them so they looked like a big Halloween crawler.

That was the last time I actually did any kind of Halloween decoration. By now I have given most of my Halloween decorations to the family with two small children two houses down and thus can still enjoy them when they put them up in their front garden.

I think I just prefer pumpkins in their natural "dress".

But since Rain's topic this week is "Halloween Decorations" I simply can't resist posting this creepy find in one of the back alleys I love to walk. I processed it to make it a little bit more sinister.

And what about some sweet little spiders which I'm sure some people think of being creeping? For my part, I like spiders. Aren't these guys pretty?

For the dinner part of Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date I want to tell you about the shrimp gratin I made last Saturday for dinner with friends. This is what it looks like before you put the finishing layer on top:

And this is what it looks like when you take it out of the oven:

It is very easy to assemble and cooks in just 15 to 20 minutes. Everybody liked it. I didn't use panko bread crumbs but regular breadcrumbs and I also used different cheese (Emmentaler and Gruyère and no mozzarella). I would stick to the ¼ teaspoon of red-pepper flakes if you don't want it too spicy. Thus it had a "kick", but didn't set you on fire. You can find the recipe here, and for those of you who can't access NYT Cooking here it is:



13 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

We really don't do Halloween here - though the big stores are trying to bring us on board. I find the decorations fascinating.
And a big yes to spiders. Industrious beasties and stunning architects.

roentare said...

Love these pumpkins! They look fabulous.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

When my daughter was a little girl, Halloween was a big event, these days it passes without even being noticed. We don’t decorate the house and there are so few little kids in our neighbourhood the doorbell barely rings. We eat the pumpkins rather than stick candles in them! Best wishes - David

My name is Erika. said...

Halloween is a fun holiday. I'm not into spooky, but here in New England with the leaves turning and falling, it seems to fit. I can image how it doesn't fit the same way when the environment is different. But I'm also with you for the natural views, especially autumn and all its color. Have a super rest of the week. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...Carola, you found fabulous colors of the season. The barn with pumpkins in the foreground is wonderful!

Christine said...

Lovely pumpkin decor and delicious gratin

Jeanie said...

I think I need to make that this weekend or when Rick gets home from the lake. It looks amazing and consider it saved.

I like Halloween decor but did less this year. I haven't carved or decorated outdoor pumpkins since the boys were kids but I do love having them! I like yours.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Beautiful photography. I like your pumpkin crawler and the photo of the old barn in the fog.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh we have so much in common, Dear Carola ... I too have cut back on my decorating, but I still have to do some because I live with my teenage Granddaughter and we do pumpkins together every year. This year her boyfriend is joining us, so that should be fun. I also like spiders ... actually all insects as I have an appreciation for the important roll they play in our ecology, and I agree, those are two handsome ladies :) Now I have a confession to make. In all of the time I have been coming here, today is the first time I realized there is ART in your bARTz. That doesn't say much for my skills of observation, but I do complement you on your cleverness😁 So Happy Halloween, My friend ... enjoy the excuse to have some sweets and enjoy the youngsters that come to your door.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like those pumpkins in your first picture, a great photograph.

All the best Jan

Teresa said...

Me gustan las calabazas, antes sembraba muchas las tenía de distintas variedades. Las arañas me gustan, a mi hija le dan mucho miedo. Feliz Halloween.

Barb said...

I'm coming late but like seeing those pumpkins. We haven't had children trick or treating in our neighborhood since we moved to CO over 30 years ago. We have no sidewalks or streetlights and actually no little children in the neighborhood any more. I finally stopped buying candy about 10 years ago since I was the one eating it.

Rain said...

Shrimp gratin yum!!!!! I love that first photo of the pumpkins!!