Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Water Creatures

 

For this week's Thursday Art and Dinner Date over at Rain's place the topic is "water creatures". I start with a small watercolor painting I did last year in the spring. I think it was either Sketchbook Revival or one of those Taster lessons - I really can't remember and unfortunately I also forgot the artist who was doing the lesson.

Let's continue with birds - there are so many that are found in or around the water. Here's one of my favorites - a Black-Crowned Night Heron.


But I also love Egrets and Great Blue Herons.



Only once did I see at the lake what I believe is a Wilson's Snipe.


Watching pelicans is always a joy - either the American White Pelicans inland in the winter or the Brown Pelicans at the ocean.


At the ocean of course we have lots of gulls - since I'm not good at identifying them I hope that David will help me out here.


As you can see there are also other water creatures in the left image, albeit pretty dead - freshly caught salmon in Valdez, Alaska, where we also saw very cute sea otters, but I don't have a picture of them.

Another gull with its dinner.


If it's not dinner, it looks like this:


Angry bird...


Oystercatcher on Spiekeroog, an island in the North of Germany.


And a sweet Common Ringed Plover (I think) that I saw in Ireland.


A Bald Eagle casually sailing by on an iceberg in Prince William Sound - do they still count as water creatures? They catch fish...


A very special fish - made from pumpkins! Photo courtesy of Kaefer (she took the picture at the garden show "Blühendes Barock" in Ludwigsburg, near Stuttgart).


But back to the ocean - harbor seals are plenty here and this year we saw more elephant seals than usual.



I shouldn't forget seastars and sea anemones - and of course shells!



The following water creature is not only found in Hawai'i and California.


But in Hawai'i you find the Green Sea Turtle and at our lake the small Pond Sliders


Here's a fun one - this one lives in the Berlin Zoo and is one of the offspring of Knautschke, a hippo  born in 1943 that survived the bombardment of the city in World War II. He died in 1988 after fathering many many little hippos; he was the darling of Berliners, and of course there is a sculpture of him near the hippo enclosure.


And look at this cute water creature! Or is it a mud creature? She was 16 months old when we took her to Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in Northeast Germany which is home to many lakes. She loved playing in the water and also did her first independent steps in the water (she was a late walker and very early talker).


What's for dinner? You guessed it - fish and seafood of course!










16 comments:

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Incredible photos. I specially love the bald eagle. Majestic! Your watercolor painting is amazing. I love it.

-Soma

Elephant's Child said...

Simply beautiful - from start to finish. Thank you.

roentare said...

The bird photos are fabulous.

My name is Erika. said...

You have so many fabulous water creature images today Carola. I don't know what to pick as favorites, but that pumpkin fish is certainly unique. Do you have a really big zoom to catch these, or were you just lucky? Isn't half of photographing something just the luck of having the right position, the right lens, the right moment...etc. Have a great rest of your week. Hugs-Erika

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hello, Carola: Thanks for this great series on waterbirds, guaranteed to get my juices flowing early in the morning. I also appreciate the fishy treats to eat at the end of the post. The gulls in your picture are all Herring Gulls (there are several intermediate plumages before they acquire adult plumage), probably the most common species along the coast near to where you live. Gull ID is a challenge for most birders even, especially juvenile birds as they move progressively from different shades and degrees of brown to the sparkling adults that most people have a love/hate relationship with. You, I know, enjoy them all. Hugs - David

Christine said...

Lovely water creature themed post!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous photos and I like that human creature :)

Gillena Cox said...

That pumpkin fish sculpture is adorable. Lots of nice sea creature responses. Happy Thursday

Much💚love

Tom said...

...Carola, you assembled an amazing collection. I have a number of photos of surfers and never gave that a thought, thinking outside the box is always good. Playing in the mud has been a favorite activity over the years too. Have a wonderful weekend.

Veronica Lee said...

Incredible photos, Carola.

So many fascinating things to see this lovely post.

Love that pumpkin fish sculpture.

DVArtist said...

OMGosh! These are all amzing photos. I can't stop looking at them. I invite you to share them with FFO too. Have a lovely weekend.

EricaSta said...

I know Ludwigsburg very well. Your Post is a trip in the past for me ... thank you for sharing.

The first picture, your artwork is such a fantastisc drawing.

Hugs by Heidrun

Jeanie said...

You have some beautiful birds in your region and the photos show them off to the very best! And I loved that sculpture -- it's fun!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carola, I enjoyed this collection of waterbirds, anemones and especially the seals, and also that very cute little water "catch" of your daughter. It's obvious that her love of nature started at a young age! Seafood and fish are favorite dinner meals and we have it at least once a week, sometimes more often. The pumpkin fish art was very unusual.

Teresa said...

Me ha encantado tu reportaje, la niña me parece preciosa. Besos.

Lowcarb team member said...

Great post Carola.
Such a wonderful collection of photographs.
Have a good week ahead.

All the best Jan