Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Midsummer

 

Midsummer was last week and it's mainly celebrated in the Scandinavian countries. My good friend K has traveled to Sweden several times to see friends and she decided to have a Midsummer party this year. 

Upon arriving at her house, everybody could create their own flower wreath if they wanted. Here are K and I with our "head jewels".

Her youngest daughter, who is the same age as Kaefer - they were in the same Girl Scout troop. This is how K and I met 19 years ago. I think she is very pretty.

I was very proud of the Geek for making his own wreath and wearing it, too. Only three of the men did!

The table was set out on the deck. I loved the beautiful flower arrangements and the colorful napkins. Since K doesn't have enough plates for 18 people, she used compostable paper plates. Here in our county you are not allowed to throw paper plates or take-out pizza cartons into the trash; they have to go into the green bin and will be composted.

The food was delicious - there was smoked salmon and herring for appetizers, and the main dish was grilled chicken, potato salad, meatballs, lingonberry sauce and salad.

Of course there was wine, but you could also opt for Swedish juice concentrate that could be diluted with water. Thanks to IKEA for being so close!

After dinner some of us danced around the midsummer pole in the garden. K had found a traditional song and we tried to do the steps - it was quite hilarious and I'm sure we all looked pretty funny.

Oh, and then dessert - look at this decadent cake, baked by the man of the house. He wasn't shy with the whipped cream.

But the true star of the evening was Pinecone!

Look how she and her "mom" are laughing in the left picture.

I'm linking to Rain's Thursday Art and Dinner Date and Nicole's Friday Face Off.


22 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I love all those happy smiles. It looks and sounds like a fabulous evening.

kathyinozarks said...

What a very fun event-I enjoyed your post-had me smiling

Gillena Cox said...

Glad you had fun. Your wreaths are beautiful

Much💚love

Christine said...

Lovely photos, I like the pretty head jewels.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Such a great way to celebrate with friends, Carola. I would have been happy to make a crown of flowers to wear on my head. The food looks delicious and I have no doubt that a good time was had by all. Best wishes from Ontario - David

DVArtist said...

This is a beautiful post. I love this idea of making a head wreath. In fact I am going to gather flowers and items to bring to my next gathering with my neighbors so we can each make one. I think it's brilliant. Wonderful place settings and the food looks amazing. Thank you for sharing today.

J C said...

That looks like a really fun time. I loved the flower headdresses, and the food...oh my. So good. Thanks for sharing this pleasant time. Made my day to visit here.

roentare said...

The midsummer festival is giving such a merry vibe here

Teresa said...

Se os ve muy felices, me alegra que lo pasaran bien. Besos.

My name is Erika. said...

What a fun party. And that SCandinavian strawberry and cream cake looks so good. It brings back childhood memories for me because my mom would get these cakes for us (on occasion) at the Swedish bakery in our area. And Pinecone is a sweetie. I love that smile. I love your and the geeks smile with your flower wreaths too. It looks like a good event. Happy end of June Carola. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...enjoy a your summer and stop to smell the flowers.

Gene Black said...

It appears that you had a lovely celebration. I would have made the wreath and worn it also.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you had a very fun time. You all look so pretty with your floral crowns. The table looks lovely, too. But of course, Pinecome is the fairest of them all!! What a lovely smile! Hugs, Valerie

DVArtist said...

Thank you so much for sharing this with FFO. Have a lovely weekend.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

What a delightful and uplifting post and your friend sure throws quite the party. It looks like great fun, your pictures are wonderful and the thought of the desert is going to haunt me until I can find something comparable to satisfy my craving. Thank you for this, Carola ... you left me smiling :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Michelle said...

Well, I love this. What a wonderful celebration. The flower wreaths are so lovely. Pinecone is adorable.

Barwitzki said...

It was fun to read about your midsummer celebration. The highlight is really the beautiful homemade flower wreaths... I have the strawberry cake with whipped cream and I would have liked the finely grilled one. Thanks for your happy photos, Carola.
Ps. We often celebrated Midsummer in Norway... there they serve "Rømmegrøt" (a kind of sour cream porridge) with sugar and cinnamon and sausages :-)
Happy greetings to you from Viola

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was here last night, but the comment box wouldn't display itself. I even refreshed, quit and came back from Nicole's and nothing!

What a wonderful Midsummer party. LOVE your floral wreath. It is beautiful. And kudos top the Geek for making one, too. Your friend's daughter is beautiful and I liked the wreath she created.

I wish our city and county would have compostable (green) bins. Instead, our used pizza boxes and paper plates go into the garbage which ends up at the landfill.

Your friend created a lovely table with loads of beautiful flowers. Very midsummer indeed.

Now I am famished. I really MUST get something to eat after seeing those potatoes and salad. And I would NEVER turn down fresh strawberries, either.

Pinecone is a beauty. And they say dogs don't laugh. Pinecone proved them wrong.

Lowcarb team member said...

It looks like a great deal of fun was had, super photographs.
Your floral head-dresses look lovely.

Happy July wishes.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

This is such fun. I love her table settings and the food looks great. Best pix? The head jewels -- all of them!

EricaSta said...

Pinecone ist tatsächlich ein Star! Und das weiß er auch... ;)

Eure Mittsommerfestivitäten sind einfach wundervoll, liebe Carola. Allein dieser Kopfschmuck aus Blumen ist so herrlich. Aber warum heißt die Jungfer im Grünen "Liebe im Nebel"? Sie blüht doch im Sommer, im Herbst sind längst andere Blumen vorhanden.

Liebe Carola, ich würde mich freuen, wenn Du Deinen Mittsommer auf MosaicMonday teilen würdest. Dieser Post passt so vorzüglich in diesen Reigen der Mosaike.

Hab eine gute Zeit, liebe Grüße von Heidrun

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That looks to have been a wonderful celebration, Carola, and the photos of you and the geek with your floral headwear was wonderful to see, good for him and you! The menu sounded and looked delicious and dessert looked so good and there should never be scrimping when it comes to whipped cream.