Monday, June 19, 2023

Some Watercolor

 

Last week I spent almost every day watching the Taster sessions for Kaleidoscope 2023. Other than in previous years, this time I actually did some of the lessons right away while watching the videos. I was mainly interested in the watercolor sessions and those were the ones I did with the exception of the owl class that was taught in acrylics and colored pencils, but I did in watercolor anyway.

This was also the first time that I didn't use the traceable images the artitsts provided, but tried drawing everything myself. Sometimes that didn't turn out that well since I don't have drawing skills.

First up is Kim Dellow's lesson - this is the class where the artist used acrylics and I used watercolor instead. The other medium used is colored pencils which don't work that well on cold pressed watercolor paper.

Next up are two sessions by Tamara Laporte, the host and creator of Kaleidoscope. The peacock was quite some work, and I decided to make the background much paler than in Tam's example. 

The colorful poppies were the first of the taster sessions, also by Tam. I loved this one, even though some of my poppies look a bit wonky. This one was a lot of fun.

My favorite class was the session by Australian artist Toni Burt who I find very inspiring. This time we did a painting with a little bird which, as far as I can tell, was a wren. In my painting it doesn't look like a wren except perhaps for the tail; otherwise it's on the well-fed side, but who cares? Toni used black ink for the outline of the bird which I didn't have, so I used charcoal which didn't quite react with water the way ink would do. No matter, I love this small painting.

Since this is a T Tuesday post I need a drink, otherwise Bleubeard and Elizabeth will kick me off! Yesterday was a beautiful warm and sunny day, so different from all the June Gloom we had until then. That's the kind of weather when I like to drink a glass of rosé in the evening. The sunflowers were a gift from friends who came for dinner on Saturday.


Have a lovely week, everybody!



18 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your image of poppies is just beautiful. The owl is somewhat abstract, but recognizable. I'm reading a natural history book about owls, so they are on my mind. Their unique dish-shaped faces function as a way to catch sound and thus have more acute hearing and location by sound, useful for catching their prey in the dark.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

roentare said...

You are so talented to create these wonderful arts

Iris Flavia said...

Hä?! Keine drawing skills? Das she ich aber anders - ist doch supertoll geworden!Ohhh, meine Lieblingsblumen (die immernoch vor sich hindümpeln und nicht blühen wollen...).
Tolle Zechnungen und Sonnenblumen, schönen T-Tag dir

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. Your drawing skills look impressive to me here.
Love the sunflowers and your glass of rose too.

My name is Erika. said...

Your watercolor paintings are really lovely Carola. I like the poppies and little wren. It sounds like you had a lovely week in the June gloom. We're having June gloom here too. And in your comment on your post you mentioned Emerald Falls in Zion. That is a really lovely falls-I've hiked there too. Just an FYI, the one in Iceland was much bigger. I don't know if the one in Iceland is lovely, but it is impressive. You can never go wrong with sunflowers, can you? They are lovely and your glass of wine looks good too. I hope you have a happy T day and week ahead. Hugs-Erika

Rostrose said...

Liebe Carola, dafür dass du keine Zeichenkenntnisse hast, sind deine Werke aber extrem gut geworden - und ich würde mal sagen, nicht nur "dafür". Mir gefallen alle, aber vor allem deinen Pfau finde ich sensationell und man sieht ihm die Mühe nicht an. Sehr hübsch auch die Sonnenblumen, die sich ebenfalls gut als Inspiration für eine Malerei eignen würden.
Sonnige Juni-Grüße, 🌸☀️🌸 happy T-day und alles Liebe,
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/meine-erlebnisse-und-outfits-im.html

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your art. I haven't done anything yet for the taster sessions, I'm having a very shaky phase again! Enjoy your drink, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

All your paintings came out well. The peacock is especially beautiful and your poppies are wonderful. Well done art, Carola. My uncle lives down the street and has peacocks - they are loud and beautiful. He lives along the highway and people are shocked when the peacocks are in the front yard showing off. How fun to get such lovely flowers and to have them in view while drinking wine. Happy T-day and hugz

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I know it’s the most shopworn cliché in the world, Carola, but the important thing is to give it a try, and if you stick at it, as is true with any activity, you will improve. I bet there is a level of therapeutic calm derived from splashing paints around too. Bravo, I say. I bet if we were to go into a field of poppies right now we could find a wonky flower or two, and if you use a well-known derivative of poppies you will certainly become wonky! Well done is my reaction. Keep on painting, keep on showing us the results and we will all enjoy seeing them. Stay well and stay safe. Hugs - David

DVArtist said...

Well, these art pages are just beautiful. I'm so impressed with the watercolor, you did a fabulous job. Ohhh the sunflowers with your drink are gorgeous too. Have a lovely weekend.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I am late visiting. Lightening took out the electricity last night in my neighborhood. I spent the night in sweltering heat and only the electricity of my portable OTT light.

Every year I sign up for the Taster Series and every year I ask myself why, since I don't draw. I guess because the first year there was collage featured. From what I saw this year, it was all about drawing.

I LOVE your peacock. That is actually my favorite. But you did a marvelous job with all these. It's obvious you are quite good.

Beautiful sunflowers compliment your rose wine, Carola. Thanks for sharing your incredible drawings and your wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

Sharon Madson said...

Your peacock and poppies are beautifully done. I like to watch and do lessons on you tube, but have to play, stop, play. My watercolors never look like theirs, but I have fun. Happy t Day. oh, love your sunflowers.

Lisca said...

Your poppies are beautiful and the peacock turned out good too.
Lovely sunflowers. Yes, I love a glass of rosé in the evening too. I’m so glad it’s back in fashion to drink rosé. ( for some years it was difficult to find)
Happy T Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

CJ Kennedy said...

Your watercolors are beautiful, especially the peacock and the poppies. Happy T Day

Lorrie said...

Your art pages are all lovely, Carola, and my favourite is the poppies - so loose and colourful!

Jeanie said...

Love the watercolors -- especially the Toni bird and the Tam poppies. I still have that on my computer to check out -- if they are still there!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Watercolor paint creates such lovely and gentle looking images as these looked to me, Carola. The poppies and the peacock (two Ps) were my favorites in this group which doesn't mean the others were not as lovely as were the sunflowers and the glass of rose looked great too 🍷

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Carola, glad you are/were enjoying the taster sessions and that you actually got some projects done. I did my best to watch but as yet haven't had a chance to do any. I also really love Toni Burt and her style, she makes it look so effortless doesn't she. I'm looking forward to doing the poppies and the peacock and Toni's lesson. I really love your owl and his beak looks great. Sorry for my lateness, I've been out all week. Happy belated T Day Elle/EOTC xx