Sunday, June 11, 2023

Quick Walk around the Lake

 

Last Wednesday I went to the farrmers market in the morning and on my way back I decided to stop at the lake for a quick walk. Summer camp had started and it was quite noisy at the lagoon, so I took a different trail in order to avoid that area.

California Quails were the first "thing" that I saw - our truly fabulous state bird.


I was delighted to see some native plants along that much less traveled trail. There was Spicebush (Calycanthus occidentalis) and our beautiful California Buckeye (Aesculus californica), both blooming right now.

The California buckeye is a midsize, beautifully shaped tree and its flowers are stunning.

Sticky monkey-flower (Mimulus aurantiacus), another California native, liked its spot in the shadier area.

Closer to the lake, very tall mustard and hemlock lined the trail. The hemlock looks like Queen Anne's Lace on steroids.


Beautiful as it is, I was not happy to see quite a lot of Field Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) since it is an invasive non-native.

So is Rattlesnake Grass (Briza maxima), unfortunately.

But then I saw White Yarrow (Achillea millefolium), the California native of the many yarrows. There weren't many and you really had to look for it among the tall grasses. You can see the amount of Rattlesnake Grass as well.


 I have no idea what this is, but I liked its "fairy" appearance. As I like most of the tall grasses.


Then I came upon another California native: Ithuriel's Spear (Triteleia laxa). Its name could be right out of "Lord of the Rings". It's also the name of an angel in John Milton's epic poem "Paradise Lost":

Him thus intent Ithuriel with his spear  
Touched lightly; for no falshood [sic] can endure 
            Touch of celestial temper, but returns
            Of force to its own likeness: Up he starts
            Discovered and surprised.       
  
The flower is more purple than in these images; unfortunately, my camera couldn't capture the true color.   
  
  

I'm not quite sure what the following plant is - it might be Bird's-foot trefoil (Lotus corniculatus).

And this, I suspect, is Perforate St John's-wort (Hypericum perforatum).

Back at the parking lot I sat for some time watching the Ground Squirrels who were busy chasing each other and eating whatever they could find. They're rather skittish and not easy to photograph.

When I was finally home again, I unpacked my treasures from the market and enjoyed these delicious sweet cherries. The small bowl was made by a colleague at the German School.

And of course there is coffee, this time served in the white and blue mug I bought almost 10 years ago on the German isle of Spiekeroog. This is also my ticket for T Tuesday, hosted by Elizabeth and her sidekick Bleubeard.

Have a lovely week, my friends.






23 comments:

roentare said...

Nature does have its charm. So beautiful!

Tom said...

...wow,what a walk! I love Calycanthus and our C. floridus is flowering now. Bindweed may be pretty somewhere else, but not near me and my garden. Rattlesnake Grass is appropriately named. Google lens IDs it has Perforate St John's-wort. Let's take a walk again. Enjoy your week.

kathyinozarks said...

Loved the nature walk with you-I love that you know the names of these plants too-I am really bad with that-knowing what plants are.
I love handmade pottery-beautiful pieces. I need to visit the amish market soon-

Elephant's Child said...

That looks and sounds like a truly wonderful day. Thank you for sharing the beauty. Your cherry bowl is a beauty too.

My name is Erika. said...

This looks like a really lovely walk, even if you had to avoid all the summer camp noise. It is that time of year, isn't it? Those quail are adorable. They would make perfect Christmas quail, well partridge (for the 12 days song). And oh cherries. I bought some yesterday. They are the best, aren't they? It's a lovely bowl, and your mug is perfect for summer. I like it. Happy early T day Carola. Have a lovely week. hugs-Erika

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Farmers markets have become such a fad for city folk here that the only time to go is very early in the morning, otherwise you are bound to have a far closer acquaintance with other bodies that you ever wished for! In some areas you can barely move. We tend more to go out to the Mennonite farms where great produce is grown and we don’t have to contend with the press of people. By the end of the day they leave in droves in their Audis and Lexuses to eat their cheeses in their temperature and humidity controlled wine cellars in urban mansions! Great post here, Carola, to stir the heart of every naturalist who stops by to read it, and you cannot imagine how it makes my heart soar to have a friend who quotes from “Paradise Lost.” I think you are an impostor when you tell us that you come from Germany! You have better control of the language than most who have grown up with it, and to read Paradise Lost is surely the confirmation of all that it’s good about you. Huge hugs from Ontario - David

Mae Travels said...

Thank you for introducing Ithuriel, an angel invented by Milton. I love Ariel, Uriel, Raphael, Gabriel, and others -- and now have one more.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tammie Lee said...

Looks like you had a lovely walk. So many treasures found and enjoyed. Such a beautiful season.

Valerie-Jael said...

You had a wonderful walk, I enjoyed seeing the photos, thanks for sharing. Happy T Day, your mug is gorgeous. Hugs, Valerie

Jeanie said...

Oh Carola, those California quail are really beautiful birds. I'm impressed. And what wonderful territory you covered in your walk. As for those cherries -- well, I adore them and they look fabulous!

Kate Yetter said...

A beautiful array of flowers. I like all the various colors.
Yum, I love cherry season but I don't like the prices!
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

I love that you know all the names of the grasses and wild flowers. I will have to put my photos of flowers on my blog and ask you what they are? Rattlesnake grass? I didn't know there was such a thing. Lovely nautical cup, and the cherries look wonderful. We got some very large strawberries, and I had my first smoothie of the season this morning. Happy T Day.

Iris Flavia said...

Interessanter nature walk (mir fällt kein deutscher Begriff dafür ein).
Die Rattlesnakes sehen ja wirklich skurril aus.
Hmmm, Kirschen. Und Spiekeroog... ich war mal auf Langeoog... auf Natur und eine schöne Woche...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You always amaze me, Carola. Not only do you know the name of the flowers and trees, you also know the botanical name.

One thing I need to confess. The beautiful pink field bindweed was growing along a ditch in MO, so I dug some up and brought it with me to Wichita. It spread beautifully until my neighbor to the north put up a fence. Now I have none. I had NO idea it was an invasive weed. I just thought it was a pretty flower.

I don't suppose you would want a few more squirrels. I'll gladly send some your way!

That is a beautiful bowl and the cherries look yummy, too. They really are my favorite fruit, but are only available a month or so here.

That's a charming mug. It certainly has a beach theme. And your coffee looks almost white enough for my taste, too (grin). Thanks for sharing your incredible walk in nature, your handmade bowl filled with cherries, and your coffee in the blue and white mug with us for T this Tuesday, dear Carola.

Veronica Lee said...

Such a lovely walk, Carola.

I enjoyed seeing the gems you found.

Hugs and blessings

Lisca said...

What a beautiful post Carola. I love seeing native plants with names included. I don’t know much about botany so I’m finding this very interesting. You sure live in a lovely area.
I’m sorry my blog is a mess. I’ve re-written it, but it’s made little difference. I’m sorry, I don’t know what I’ve done wrong.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

nwilliams6 said...

Wonderful pictures. You saw many beautiful things! Always love to see what you capture through your lense.

The cherries look wonderful as does your coffee in your very cool cup.

Happy T-day and hugz

J said...

Beautiful photos of your walk, love your mug and pretty bowl with cherries, they are in season here at the moment , I can’t resist them
Happy T Day. Jan S

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely to see your photographs from your walk.

The cherries look tasty and I like your cherry bowl.

All the best Jan

CJ Kennedy said...

Your scenery is just beautiful. We have bindweed here, too, though more commonly called Devil's Weed or Wild Morning Glories. I thought they were pretty until they started choking out other plants. I love your blue and white mug. Happy T Day

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Carola, not only for taking us along through photos and text after your walk around the lake. It looke like you had a lovely day as well. The cherries looked delicious too and your coffee mug is beautiful.

Yvonne said...

What a lovely post and nice end to your day. I especially enjoyed the quail. I haven't seen one since childhood. Thank you for your lovely comment about Dustin. It means a lot.

J. S. Vila said...

Beautiful photographs taked during this lake walking. Do sport is do Life.