Monday, December 5, 2022

Thanksgiving in the Park

 

Sonoma County, where I live, has an abundance of beautiful nature parks. On Thanksgiving we were blessed with mild sunny weather and therefore we spent it hiking in one of my favorite parks, Crane Creek. I've written about this park several times - here and here for example - and this probably won't be the last time.

I always take a picture of the tree above in front of the vineyard.

We had just walked a couple minutes when we noticed a hawk high up in a tree. I'm not quite sure which hawk it is, but I suspect it's a Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis). Crane Creek is a great place to watch hawks and kites.

We walked for a while and then climbed up to a bench from where we enjoyed the view and listened to the many woodpeckers that were darting in and out of the surrounding trees.

We came upon a split tree - maybe the drought and then a storm cut the weakened tree open. This must have happened sometime during the past months, since the last time I was here.

Further down, a Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) was resting on a bare branch. I have to admit that I have a great weakness for these graceful birds.

It's the trees that fascinate me over and over again in Crane Creek. There are native Oaks, California Buckeyes and California Bay trees, which have a wonderful scent. Many of them are covered with moss that waft in the wind.



There are many crooked tree parts to admire - branches and entire trunks. And those of you who have read my blog for a while know how much I love crooked trees.

Our loop finally let us back to this tree again, and when you look closely you can see "our" hawk on top of it. It was "following" us the entire time of our hike.

Back home we made some hot chocolate and covered our mugs with a Dutch Stroopwafel. The steam from the hot drink softens the caramel in the cookie - oh, so delicious! This is for T Tuesday that is so kindly hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth.

Next week I might miss T Tuesday because I will be on call for jury duty.


18 comments:

My name is Erika. said...

What a perfect way to spend Thanksgiving Carola. I'm with you about those trees. They are fascinating. And you had some great bird sightings too. I've had stroopwafels before but didn't know about putting them on top of a cup of hot chocolate. Yummy. Good luck with jury duty next week. And happy T day. hugs-Erika

kathyinozarks said...

A perfect way to spend Thanksgiving-Loved seeing the hawk, cool mug Happy T
Kathy

Elephant's Child said...

What a fabulous place and walk.
I hope your jury duty goes well.

Valerie-Jael said...

Hi Carola! I love those wonderful trees, so beautiful! Your letter came yesterday, thanks so much, I will put it on TsfT next week. Loved your beautiful card and the picture of Leda, thanks, she is really a favourite! I love those syrup waffles, too, they sell them at Aldi's, it's always so hard just to walk by them! Hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

This is obviously a wonderful place to wander, Carola, and it's understandable that you return often. I would too. You don't show pictures of the woodpeckers,, but given the type of habitat I would conclude they were Acorn Woodpeckers, beautiful birds and highly entertaining, with a wonderful "laugh". Great way to spend time outdoors. All the best - David

Iris Flavia said...

Eine schöne Ecke und interessante Bäume!
Viel... Erfolg (?) bei der jury duty, ich glaube, sowas gibt es hier nicht?

Jeanie said...

Those tree trunks are enormous. That's a wonderful spot. I've never seen cookie and drink that way. Makes sense!

DVArtist said...

These are just wonderful photos. But let's be honest here. Hot chocolate with Dutch Stroopwafel covered mugs to melt the caramel. OMGosh brilliant and oh so good. LOL Have a really nice day today.

Divers and Sundry said...

Sounds like a delightful outing. We get those birds here, too, and I always enjoy seeing them. I'm not familiar with cookies like that, but it's a tempting photo :) Happy T Tuesday

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a perfect way to spend Thanksgiving. I was taken by those trees and their twisted forms. Nice you are a birder of sorts, too.

I was recently sent a package of two Stroopwafel. I haven't used mine yet, but when I do, it will be with my coffee. Sounds like the perfect day for you and your husband.

Thanks for sharing your trip to that park and your hot chocolate covered with Dutch Stroopwafel with us for Y this Tuesday, dear Carola.

I feel for you and jury duty. I will be thinking of you regardless.

Let's Art Journal said...

Looks like a beautiful and peaceful place to visit and a lovely way to celebrate Thanksgiving ☺️. Such a fabulous mug too! Sending you Happy T Day wishes! Hugs Jo x

Empire of the Cat said...

Love all those trees. And the stroopwafel, I haven't had one for a while but my friend in Holland usually pops one in with my xmas present so maybe this year. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx

jinxxxygirl said...

THAT is an amazing tree Carola! Wow! i do miss all the lovely parks in CA. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

roentare said...

The trees look gorgeous! Fantastic series of great photos

Kate Yetter said...

The trees are stunning and so artistic looking.
The mug is so pretty. I just bought shoes with the same print. I was just introduced to Stroopwafels last Christmas and they are delicious.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Mae Travels said...

Your photos of the crooked trees near the vines and (in the previous post) of the beach and rocky shore are wonderful. I really enjoyed your posts!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your walk sounded like the perfect way to celebrate the holiday, Carola. The trees were quite magnificent as was the hawk sighting, turkey vulture not so much. I am sure that the cookie and cocoa tasted wonderful afterwards.

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

How wonderful you got to see a Turkey Vulture!! Your photo of the tree with lichen is beautiful. A very lovely way to spend Thanksgiving!

-Soma