Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Celebrating Silvester

 

So close to the end of the year, Rain's prompt for Thursday Art and Dinner Date is "New Year's Eve Party". No such party for me, so I just leave out the party part and tell you a bit about how we used to celebrate New Year's Eve in Germany.

New Year's Eve is called Silvester in Germany - for Saint Silvester, who lived in the 4th century and whose death's anniversary is December 31. Of course, there are many people who have a party into the early morning hours of the new year, but there are also many people who prefer to let go of the old year in a much smaller circle - and some who don't do anything at all.

When we were children, we did the tradition of "Bleigieen", literally "lead pouring". You would melt small shapes made of lead over the flame of a candle and when it is liquid, quickly throw it in a bowl of cold water where it would harden in a new shape. Now it was everybody's task to interpret this shape which would predict your future in the coming year. In 2018, the EU passed regulations that limit the sale of toxic lead-containing products, including these molybdomancy kits. In this photo I am five or six years old when my brother and I did Bleigieen in our kitchen. This dates to the mid sixties.

A traditional food for Silvester is carp, but I am not sure that many people still do this. My parents eventually abandoned this tradition. Instead, we often had fondue - my mom would make a wonderful broth that would then be poured into the fondue pot where it would further heat and we would put thinly sliced pieces of meat in it and slowly let it cook to perfection. There was bread on the side and my mom usually made some very delicious sauces to go with it. A family favorite was her Aïoli, it was so tasty. This was accompanied by some good bottles of French wine. Most Silvester dinners were with my parents, my brother and his then current girlfriend, myself and my friend from Paris, Eve, who would come to visit us every year in late December (and I would go and visit her every year at Easter). I found an old photo that my dad took at one of those Silvester dinners. From left to right - my mom, myself, my brother's girlfriend, my brother, Eve.

Have you heard of "Dinner for One"? This is a Silvester classic in Germany. It's a British two-hander comedy sketch written by Laurie Wylie and performed by Freddy Frinton and May Warden. In 1962 it was recorded by the German TV broadcaster Norddeutscher Rundfunk as a black-and-white videotape recording. It has become a Silvester tradition not only in Germany, but in Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Estonia. Same procedure as every year.

Here it is - enjoy!

Finally we're approaching the "big" moment - midnight. The church bells are ringing in the new year and there are private fireworks everywhere. When we were kids, we would step out onto the balcony to watch the show; when I was at university, I would go up a hill with my friends to watch the fireworks over Tübingen from there. Of course there would be champagne or "Sekt", as we call it. One beautiful alternative to fireworks are Wunderkerzen (sparkler) that you hold in your hand. They are very popular. My daughter sent me a photo of one of her Wunderkerzen from last year.


And with this, my friends, my blogging year will come to its end. I wish all of you a very happy, healthy and peaceful new year, filled with joy and laughter. Guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr, as we say in German - literally "good slide to the new year". See you in 2023.




21 comments:

roentare said...

Happy Silvester day to you. No need for a party just good health and good friends and good family will do

Elephant's Child said...

Such very different celebrations to the ones I am used to - and they sound wonderful. I will admit to a weakness for sparklers too.
Happy New Year dear friend (with a gentle, love and laughter filled slide into it).

Iris Flavia said...

Silvester hier bedeutet: Au weia, hoffentlich bleibt mein Auto heil (ich hab keins mehr).
Die vertrackten Ballerdinger werden hier überall rücksichtslos gezündet... und Ingo´s Auto steht direkt vor der Tür. Nicht gut.

Bleigießen... ich lief weg (Angst vor allem "Heißem").

Argh. Fondue. Habe ich das... argh! Mein Vater und später mein Bruder mussten das für mich machen. Heißes Fett über Flamme, wer denkt sich sowas aus?!
Ich saß immer Sprung-bereit. Die Hölle auf Erden, jedes Silvester.

Oh, und "Dinner For One". Himmel, JEDES Silvester.
Ich habe tatsächlich immernoch den Sekt, den wir zum "Gewinn" des Tram-Projekts trinken wollten! Gute Idee!
Und wir haben bestimmt auch noch... Angstartikel... Wunderkerzen hier. Ja. Aus Dänemark (gleich links "versteckt am PC, hätte ich auch vergessen). Ein Geschenk von vor 3 Jahren...

Damit werde ich vielleicht .. wie sagt man... "mutig" sein, eine anzünden und wünsche euch allen einen sicheren Rutsch ins neue Jahr (11C hier!) - auf ein gesundes, tolles, 2023!
Danke für deine posts und comments!

kathyinozarks said...

This was such an interesting post-I had not heard of melting lead over a flame-for me that would be an accident waiting to happen-I was pretty clumsy as a child. I remember the fondue pots but we usually had melted cheeses that we would dip into or melted chocolate with lots of different things to dip, but not for celebrating the new year Yours sounded really good
Growing up as a child we never did anything to welcome in the new year that I remember. Later I would watch the celebrations on the tv.
Happy New Year hugs Kathy

Gillena Cox said...

Food and Family; Wonderful!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Link to my 12 Days of Christmas HERE

There is an annual festival happening at my blog now. I invite you to link up. You do not have to place a link back link on your blog; just link up.

I will after the festival catch up with prompts and add my links

MUCH🎄LOVE

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I was totally unaware of all of this, Carola, so I learned a great deal from your post. It was lovely to see those vintage photographs too, especially when you were a very little girl. There are so many different traditions around the world. The video was hilarious and I will watch it again. With my very best wishes for 2023 - David

My name is Erika. said...

What an interesting post Carola. I love reading about how different days are celebrated around the world. This is a nice tradition, but I do think it was time to ban the lead. Have they replaced it with anything? I wish you a wonderful, happy and healthy 2023 also. hugs-Erika

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Liebe Carola,
auch ich möchte dir ein schönes und vor allem gesundes neues Jahr wünschen. Gerne lese ich auf deinem Blog, wenn ich auch nicht immer kommentiere. Du schreibst so interessant und ich lese gerne hier mit. Auch deine Fotos sind immer wunderschön.
Wir feiern dieses Jahr auch im kleinen Kreis mit Freunden. Mir graust schon vor der Böllerei. Die Leute haben dieses Jahr gekauft wie verrückt. Dafür haben sie immer Geld. Ich kaufe keine Feuerwerkskörper. Bei uns gibt es auch nur Wunderkerzen.
Lassen wir das alte Jahr ruhig ausklingen und hoffen, dass es im neuen Jahr wieder mehr Friede auf Erden gibt. Dies und Gesundheit, mehr wünsche ich mir nicht.
Liebe Grüße aus dem fast frühlingshaften Deutschland
sendet dir Renate

Christine said...

Happy New Year!

DUTA said...

I liked the voice of the singer in the opening to the video. Very good, clear voice!

Jeanie said...

Thanks for sharing this tradition and also "DInner for One" (new to me!) I wonder if there is some new, modern melting thing that can replace the lead. Like that crazy plastic stuff. Or you could randomly dribble hot glue (blindfolded, of course!) on a piece of foil, let it cool and see what it say!

Tom said...

...and I wish you a "good slide to the new year." Take care and stay well in 2023.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your old pictures are a delight and I love "Dinner for One" ... I laughed all of the way through it. And an awesome picture of a sparkler ... that sparkles as the name would suggest. So wishing you all good things in the New Year, Carola :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

carol l mckenna said...

Happy Silvester to you and what a wonderful tradition ~ post and photos ~ love the sparklers ~ safer and so lovely ~ Xo

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

I love the old photos. I want to thank you for being part of my blogging world and wish you the very best for 2023

Mae Travels said...

All the traditions are fascinating -- I had heard of them but didn't keep them in mind.

Have a wonderful year in 2023.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thank you, Carola, for sharing these vintage photos and writing about how the end of the year is celebrated in Germany. I have enjoyed your posts over the past year and look forward to 2023. Sending best wishes to you and your family for a happy and healthy 2023.

Lowcarb team member said...

What an interesting post, and thank you for sharing your photographs.

Wishing you a happy and healthy 2023.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

love your lone twig. But I did miss the "Dinner for One". In Sweden we have it too, this time I missed it. I saw on the news they are about to film another version of it. A "before one". We will see next year if they did.

Hugs abs Happy New Year.

Lorrie said...

I loved reading about your German tradition of Silvester. Fascinating! We often have fondue on New Year's Eve, but this year we enjoyed raclette for dinner on the 1st of January.
Happy New Year, Carola!

Rain said...

I love seeing the old photos Carola, especially happy to see the fondue pot on the table!! ☺