Thursday, August 7, 2014

Country "Fences" (August Break 2014)

"Today is..." - our prompt.

Well, today is Thursday, and in my book that means fences and linking up with Theresa's 'Good Fences'. And exactly that I am doing today.

Only, that my fences are actually not real fences. They are...


 ... walls. Same function as a fence - to either keep someone in or out. All of these fences are in the Cotswolds whose landscape is criss-crossed by walls.


It's a beautiful landscape, really, and the walls just add some extra charm.


Sometimes they separate a cemetery from the nettles outside.


Sometimes the cemetery itself is covered in weeds and the sheep are right next door - that's a pretty common picture. It's a pastoral setting, after all.

The walls are rather rough and irregular - another charming detail about them.



16 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

truly wonderful! i always love these stone walls! thanks for sharing these!

Melissa said...

So much work! Must be very rocky soil.

Gail Dixon said...

What a beautiful way to landscape with these lovely stones.

Elephant's Child said...

I do love dry-stone walls. And admire the industry. And the charm.
Thank you.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

WOW! Fantastic stone wall seen from many angles

Michelle said...

These stone fences are lovely and remind me of the ones we have here in Kentucky.

GlorV1 said...

Hi Carola. Awesome walls and beautiful country. Great photos.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful stone walls. We were in the Cotswolds for a week this past July...so much beauty to enjoy. You took me back with your photos!

Jeanne said...

just love seeing these stone walls! I remember when we were driving through wales, these fences were everywhere. hard to imagine all of the rocks that must have been around to make these!

21 Wits said...

Oh my what a beautiful countryside and the stone walls are sensational!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Think of the work that went into these walls of rock! Wow! Love the old cemetery. Beautiful photos my friend! Hugs!

Tanya Breese said...

oh i love a stone wall and your images are gorgeous!!

windrock studio said...

Such gorgeous land and fences! I'd love to spend alot of time wandering all around this country side.

CherryPie said...

I love these old stone walls. I have friend who has recently been volunteering in the Lake District fixing and building stone walls.

Magic Love Crow said...

Stunning! Gorgeous photos! Love this post! Big Hugs ;o)

Sally H said...

Wonderful photos - must share my fences from Wales x