Thursday, July 19, 2012

Peaches Peaches Peaches


When I recently met my friend J. for another lovely hike in our beautiful state park, she brought me a box of fresh delicious peaches as a housewarming gift. These weren't just any peaches, no, they were from her very own trees. The smell alone could make me faint. Peaches are my favorite summer fruit!

There were so many that I had to act fast to use them all. Is there anything better than to make peach cobbler? So I grabbed a recipe and got to work.

Here's what you need -
For the filling: 
4 cups (or more) peeled and sliced peaches
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon flour

For the crust:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2/3 cup vanilla yogurt (the recipe was actually asking for buttermilk, but I didn't have any and used vanilla yogurt instead)
1 tablespoon brown sugar for topping
Ice cream or whipped cream


Generously butter a big shallow baking dish. Place the sliced peaches in the dish and sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and flour. Mix gently and spread evenly.


Combine all dry ingredients for the crust in a bowl. Cut in the butter with your fingers and make the texture like coarse crumbs. Add the yogurt and stir to form a soft dough.


Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough on top of the peaches. Sprinkle with last tablespoon of brown sugar and put into oven. Bake until fruit is bubbly and crust topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.


 Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, whatever you like better. It tasted delicious!


What is your favorite summer dessert?


.

10 comments:

gina said...

Well, I am just drooling, Carola. I love fresh peaches and your recipe looks delicious. i hope to try it soon!

Anonymous said...

That seems to be it! :)
Roxyswalker

windrock studio said...

This looks so good! I made one last week with blackberries but I have peaches, too, so tomorrow this will be my favorite! We even have some vanilla ice cream ~ can't wait.

Ginnie Hart said...

And you didn't save any for me???? Since Georgia is the Peach State and I lived there for 25 years, you can bet it's one of my favorite summer desserts! Especially with ice cream. :)

Kokopelli said...

Rote Grütze und Vanilleeis! Aber das würde ich auch essen. :)

Deborah Tisch said...

Is there any left?

I'll be right over to help you finish it off.

Yummo!

JoZart Designs said...

Wow! that look so delicious. My favourite Summer desserts have to be anything with raspberries.... I adore them even more than peaches.
Hope you are settling in well in your new home. I saw your canvas on the wall at Donna's house and we were thinking of you before our wonderful trip to Slovenia to see Dolores,
Love JoZarty

patty said...

Oh my goodness - I'm already a huge peach cobbler fan, but you have REALLY made it look tantalizing!! And with fresh hand-picked peaches?? The best!! Sometimes the peaches I get end up being kind of dry and not very juicy... I'm guessing that was not a problem!!

My Mom used to make big strawberry shortcakes out of bisquick - she would serve it with mounds of crushed juicy strawberries and ice cream, which would melt into the warm shortcake. They were such big servings that that would be our main course for dinner. Great memories!!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Yummy,yummy,yummy... da läuft mir glatt das Wasser im Mund zusammen. Einen wirklichen Dessertfavoriten habe ich nicht, es gibt noch so viele Rezepte, die ich testen möchte.

Lynn Cohen said...

This looks so nummy!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful photos too especially those fresh peaches!