Saturday, July 21, 2012

Light

... is this week's theme at Bonnie's Photo Art Friday.


Immediately I remembered a visit to England back in the summer of 1997. It was a bit of a weird week. The weekend before Princess Diana had died, and the country was in mourning. Wherever we went, if there was a church there were huge piles of flowers, cards and candles. Sometimes even on the sidewalk at the village green.

We went to Gloucester and visited the magnificent cathedral there. While an entire wing of the cathedral was crowded with people waiting in line to finally get their turn to write into the book of condolences, we strolled around the otherwise very quiet old grounds until I stopped short when I saw this beautiful reflection at the foot of one of the mighty pillars. The sunlight fell through the stained glass windows and threw the colors on the old stones as if he was enjoying himself tremendously. I loved it then, I still do now.


Thank you, Bonnie, for another great challenge! Please visit her blog to see way more fantastic photos of light and more. Pure eye candy!

I'm also linking this to Mandarin Orange Monday - check out all the other ornage images there.

16 comments:

Lynn Cohen said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Pat said...

Such lovely colors cast by the light!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Wow that's an amazing capture on so many levels! The light is wonderful, and the reflections have a ghostly quality to them. (Diana and Dodi? :) Thanks for sharing with PAF Carola.

Carole M. said...

...isn't that just beautiful; wonderful capture.

lorik said...

Beautiful colour and texture. I invite you to share your work on Mandarin Orange Monday at my blog :)

Jeanne said...

This is a totally awesome photo, and it is a weekend that I remember well. I think the whole world was mourning. Gorgeous shot and thank you for sharing this beautiful shot.

JoZart Designs said...

What magic photographs. Such a chance to capture this.
Jo x

Nancy said...

That's lovely!

Maria Ontiveros said...

This is stunning! The light inside Cathedrals and churches is often magical. I loved your peach post, too. I love a good peach pie myself. And I love making jam from summer fruit, too. But my favorite summer desert is strawberry shortcake! Or ice cold watermelon.
Rinda

gina said...

Such a lovely image and story to go with it!

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Georgous.

Also...it is exciting to hear about the plans for your new garden. I am sure it is going to be spectacular, I hope you will be showing us before and after photos.

Ginnie Hart said...

Fabulous, Carola, and a perfect image for this challenge!

Marcie said...

Mmmmm...what gorgeous color and light!

lorik said...

Thank you Carola for linking to Mandarin Orange Monday. I enjoyed reading about your visit to UK - I loved the cathedrals and their stained glass windows too.

Kozloz said...

Just beautiful.....stained glass and tessilated tiles wow!

Deborah said...

such stunning captures!