Friday, July 6, 2012

Almost Too Late to the Party

Paint Party Friday, that is. The wonderful weekly get-together  of some awesome artists who show their work on their blogs - quite a fascinating and very inspiring party. I haven't participated for so long. I really wish I could join again on a regular basis, but at the moment I can just play it by ear. At least I made it this week.


I've recently started to work on canvas board and include my photography, something I have been thinking about for a very long time with various results. When I had a bit of time a few weeks ago I just sat down and got started. I have these pictures of Antelope Canyon. We visited that gorgeous slot canyon a few years ago in the winter when we stayed in Page, AZ. I was fascinated by its incredible colors, and I tried to capture these colors in the mixed media painting. Do you think I did it?

I also love poppies, especially those fields of red poppies that always meant summer to me when I was still living in Germany. With this painting I had a bit more difficulties as I didn't like the first version of my background at all. I toned it down with some unbleached titanium and used some stamps instead. I knew from the start that I wanted to include the dried poppy seed heads that I had kept from last year's poppies. Now I'm quite happy with it.


Both paintings are available in my Etsy shop. I am having a Christmas in July sale - all my mixed media paintings, art prints, big journals and Christmas items (mainly notecards and ornaments) are 15% off until the end of July.

.

20 comments:

GlorV1 said...

I love those poppies Carola. Good to see you. We all have our times when we have to be away but it's always good to see your work. Love that quote by Thoreau. Nicely done. have a great weekend.

kat said...

Lovely works, your colors are rich and beautiful, your poppy piece is very poetic. Happy week-end to you!

Ginny said...

Both pieces are beautiful. I love the colors of the first one. So glad you made it to the party. I was late too. But I figured better late than not at all.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Catching up on your last few posts - I think it's very funny that your daughter has a "thing" for Canada! Quite charming, really. And what lovely reflections you had on liberty. My favorite photo was the same as yours. Finally, I ADORE that poppy canvas. I really enjoy using my own photography in my mixed media.
Rinda

Giggles said...

Better late than never!! Beautiful pieces!! Well done!!

Hugs Giggles

Kokopelli said...

You've captured the colors perfectly. And I spotted Kokopelli in your painting and some Indian beadwork. What's not to love about it? Happy PPF!

foxysue said...

These two works are great, the first one especially works for me. I don't know if you can see what I see? Here's my interpretation - the photo looks like folds of a sun kissed fabric headdress gently falling over tawny golden locks of hair resting on a female arm-form, all tones of our rich mother earth! x

Darla said...

Great idea to use your wonderful photos in mixed media pieces. I really love the first composition.

Darla

Mary C. Nasser said...

Great combination of textures and text!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art

Unknown said...

Wonderful artwork!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Tolle Werke, besonders das untere hat es mir angetan.

Marcie said...

These are lovely...and oh-so-inspiring. I really want to get into some mixed media work. Love what you've created here!

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

The poppy seeds are such an interesting addition both for texture and meaning.
Gorgeous layering and perfect quote for the first photograph.

Ginnie Hart said...

Totally delightful, Carola...both of them!

Maery Rose said...

I am also finding that it's best to do what I can when I can. It's more enjoyable that way. Great colors in both pieces!

JKW said...

The inclusion of the photograph is brilliant. I enjoyed the story of how it came about and the use of the dried flowers. Blessings, Janet PPF

Unknown said...

Your pieces are gorgeous and full of texture. Nice!!

Diana said...

I always love words with an image. The first looks like a picture from one of your Utah trips. Beautiful.

Netty said...

wow am loving both of these fab canvases. A great way of showing your photos. Annette x

Jeanne said...

i have been in this slot canyon and have a photo very similar. Isn't it amazing! Great shot