Sunday, February 19, 2012

Tulips and Books

As usual I am late for Photo Art Friday (yes, I know it's Sunday), but better late than never. For this week, Bonnie asked us to share a piece of photo art where we use one of her textures and then use a layer mask to finesse the texture application. It was quite a challenge, but I think I managed not too bad.


I used Bonnie's texture "desert canvas" in blending mode soft light at 100% and then used a layer mask in PSE to remove most of the texture from the tulips and their leaves. After that the tulips received some of the texture back, but lighter than before. It wasn't that difficult after all, it just takes some time and I had a harder time to decide when I was actually finished.

Bonnie's challenges help me to learn using PSE more and more efficiently, and I am very happy about that. Recently I have also taken more "still life" photos which is new to me and I haven't practiced very often. It actually also helps me to take better product pictures of the items for my Etsy store which is important to me.

I am also linking this to Life in Pictures at Coston Comba Photography, a photo blog I have just discovered.
.

12 comments:

Sally H said...

A beautiful photo Carola. I love tulips. My dad has grown them for as long as I can remember, and his are mostly red with a few yellow ones

Maria Ontiveros said...

Great job with the assignment. PSE is definitely one of those things you need to use often to stay on top of, I think.
Rinda

Lisa Gordon said...

Carola, I think this is beautiful, and such a wonderful use of the later mask!
So nicely done.
Have a fantastic start to your week!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

A lovely piece of photo art Carola. You have really succeeded with your use of the layer mask and I love the choices you made in what to keep and what to eliminate. Thank you for sharing with PAF!

helena said...

beautifully done and I agree the hardest part is knowing when to stop

Terrie said...

I always admire others' still lifes but haven't tried them much myself either. Somehow it's intimidating thinking about how to get the lighting etc. right. At any rate, this is a great image and the textures are a good complement. Nicely done - thanks for the visit.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Beautiful photo...so pretty. I envy you your ease of using PSE, I am still struggling with it. This is a real inspiration.

Tatjana Parkacheva said...

Beautiful composition and post-processing.

Regards and best wishes

Ginnie Hart said...

This is so fun, Carola, to see what you are learning. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Chantal said...

what a lovely still life this makes

gina said...

You are getting very skilled at the processing, Carola! I love red tulips and your POV is beautiful! Well done!

Costin Comba said...

Beautiful tulips.