Monday, January 8, 2024

An Austrian Kaffeehaus

 


Before I tell you about the Austrian Kaffeehaus, I want to show you the Christmas cards I received - I wanted to do that last week, but completely forgot. It's pretty obvious that work has started again and I don't get all the things done I actually want to.

Above on the left is the card that I received from Erika and to the right you can see Jeanie's card. Both cards are so beautiful - thank you so much, Erika and Jeanie, you made me happy!

I am one of the lucky ones who actually received two cards from Elle. Aren't they cute?


Elle, I really feel lucky to have gotten two cards from you - thank you so much. I also loved the cat postage stamp she put on one of the envelopes - from one cat lover to another.


Now let's visit the Austrian Kaffeehaus, the Konditorei Austrian Pastry in Davis, CA. Konditorei actually means pastry shop - you can buy your pastry and take it home, but you can also have a real sit-down experience here. A Konditorei doesn't sell bread, it only sells pastries - and coffee, of course. If you want to buy bread in a German speaking country you go to the Bäckerei (which often also sells some pastries).

When I visited Kaefer while she was studying at UC Davis we sometimes would go to this Konditorei, either for lunch or for breakfast. It was not exactly a Kaffeehaus the way you would find it in Austria, but compared to other similar places here, it came close. It definitely had much more of the "gemütliche Atmosphäre" than many coffee places in the US.


The coffee was excellent, strong without being bitter. And of couse they had baked goods that you would find in a decent Austrian Kaffeehaus.

Palatschinken (a thin pancake) on the left, something hearty in the middle (I forgot the name of it) and Topfenstrudel (quark strudel) on the right

The food was delicious and we really liked the special Kaffeehaus atmosphere. It was so different from other coffee shops here - when it comes to coffee culture, there is definitely room for improvement in the US. I tried several coffees during those four college years - here I'm having a Macchiato while Kaefer is enjoying her Palatschinken.

Unfortunately, the Konditorei closed in February 2022 since the owners retired after 32 years of hard work (Albert immigrated from Austria while Gloria is from San Francisco). 

Of course this is for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday. Rain's prompt for this week's Thursday Art and Dinner Date is coffee shop and since Kaefer can be seen in the pictures, I also share to Nicole's Friday Face Off.






24 comments:

Mae Travels said...

That pastry looks scrumptious! too bad the place is now closed. Quark strudel sounds really wonderful.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...all low cal I assume?

DVArtist said...

Such a lovely post. The cards are so nice, ones to keep. What a wonderful bakery. I spent a lot of time in Davis while growing up in that area. Nice photos of your daughter too. Have a nice evening.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You got some lovely cards. And now I know who sent me the card with the cat stamp! Yes, you are lucky to get both cards.

What an experience you must have had in those years while Kaefer was in college. It's sad the Kaffeehaus closed because it was something I know you miss. Your coffee was beautiful. You certainly won't find anything like this at Starbucks or in the middle of the country.

Thanks for introducing me to a Kaffeehaus and the treats you can find there, including the coffee.

To answer your question, yes, those were Stroopwaffels you saw. Some guy in front of me bought a couple of packages.

My name is Erika. said...

How exciting to get 2 cards from Elle. And boy those coffeehouse tasty treats look really delicious. I love the idea that a Konditorei is more of a sit, relax and chat place. I think most people seem to want their coffee to go, at least around my area. I hope 2024 is going well for you, and that you have a great T day and week ahead. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

Schöne Karten und die Briefmarken! Toll!!! Die Katze! Und 1980... Oh... Ich musste gestern mein Geburtsdatum eingeben. Musste ich scrollen!!!!
"Süße" Fotos von Käfer, schicke Brille (meine Familie sind Augenoptiker, also habe ich da "ein Auge" drauf).
Schade, dass die Eigentümer in Rente gingen. Wie unsere Pizzaria Da Nico.
"That´s life", huh...

Elephant's Child said...

What a wonderful multi-purpose post. I can no longer drink coffee but still love the smell...

roentare said...

These arts are beautiful to see. The deserts look even better

Empire of the Cat said...

lol my system totally broke down this year haha but in a good way since you got two cards instead of no cards haha. The coffee shop sounded lovely and the food looked good too, sorry to hear it closed down. Happy T Day! Elle xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The food looks suitably decadent and delicious, guaranteed to add padding to the upholstered regions that don’t need it! But I would do it anyway! And who can resist good coffee? May those good folks enjoy a long and happy retirement.

Lisca said...

Oh how sad that the Konditorei had to close! As you say. nothing in the US comes close to that sort of thing. We haven't either here inSpain. In the cities there are pastry shops where one can sit down and have a coffee and a pastry. These used to be my late husband's favorite.(He loved his pastries)
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

Let's Art Journal said...

Such a fabulous post! All your Christmas happy mail is beautiful and I loved seeing all your photos, the food looks delicious 😊. All the best for 2024 and wishing you a very Happy T Tuesday! Hugs, Jo x

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Beautiful cards!

I finally found a coffee shop with a great cup of coffee in Lexington, South Carolina. I got a cup of it black, which threw the coffee maker gal. Evidently a cup of black coffee is a rare order in the shop!

Jeanie said...

I'm so sorry that spot closed -- it looks wonderful and the pastries look to die for! I love the cards you shared -- you have some talented friends! (Thanks for including mine!)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Carola, those handmade holiday cards were all lovely and surely will be kept by yourself. I have some similar ones saved over the years and displayed again each holiday season. Who wouldn't like a Konditorei with such wonderful looking pastries? Too bad the one you mentioned is closed now, but after their years of hard work and baking, retirement must be a welcome enjoyable for Albert and Gloria.

Lorrie said...

I have fond memories of visiting coffee houses in Austria. I drink tea, my husband drinks coffee and we both enjoy cake! Such delicious pastries.

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a shame the Konditorei isn't there any more. Glad you got to enjoy some treats there before the owners retired! Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Christine said...

Lovely cards and pieces for the challenges.

Teresa said...

Esos pasteles y café se ven super buenos, me encantan. Las tarjetas son muy bonitas. Besos.

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the cards, My one from Erika is similar and I got 2 from Elle, too, also with lovely stamps, aren't we lucky? I haven't shown mine yet, but hope to do so when I join in Tsft next week. Konditoreien sind immer gut, Ich liebe es die Kuchen anzuschauen, und sie zu essen. Ooops, once again I have wandered from English to German, since Covid I am very unconcentrated. Mostly I go to the bakery, but on the other side of the road there is a Cafe mit Konditorei und Backerei, auch sehr gut Ich bin wieder durcheinander, ich höre auf! Dir ein schönes Wochenende, alles Liebe, Valerie

John's Island said...

Hi Carola, I think you’ve known me long enough to know that I love and collect postcards. The cards you received from Erika, Jeanie, and Elle are so cool. I envy those who receive custom made cards. 😊 The Kaffeehaus sounds (and looks) fascinating! John

Veronica Lee said...

Those Christmas cards are adorable, especially the one with the cat stamp.
The Austrian Kaffeehaus in Davis sounds like a hidden gem. It's a shame it closed; the pastries look heavenly.
Thanks for sharing your delightful experiences and memories, Carola.

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for sharing your lovely cards
The pastries you've shown look so tasty.

It's Saturday as I type this, so I wish you a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

Delicious post Carola! Those pastries look so good!