Monday, March 20, 2023

Pacific Sunset

 

When we were on our way back from our trip up the coast, we were just in time for the sunset when we had passed Jenner. We stopped at our favorite beach, Goat Rock, when the sun was just about to touch the horizon. There was no marine layer, aka coastal fog, and we were able to witness this spectacle that never ever gets old.

Kaefer walked closer to the water because she loves to take close-up photos of the surf, but she always  kept an eye on the ocean. She grew up here and knows how dangerous the Pacific Ocean can be.


Being Kaefer, she had to stick her feet in the water, no matter how cold it was (and it was very cold - at our coast, the Pacific is never warm. This is not an ocean to swim in - for that you need to go to Southern California.) Standing behind her, I was able to take one of my favorite photos during her visit.

Far too soon the sun dipped below the horizon.




The clouds over Goat Rock turned pink and the still glowing horizon was reflected in Kaefer's sunglasses.


Where's the drink, you might ask, since I need to share one for Bleubeard and Elizabeth's T Tuesday. Well, I already showed you the beer and cider we had in Gulala, so today I need to pick one from the archives. This one is a Turmweiße by Kuchlbauer. Do you see the interesting building on the can? This is the Kuchlbauer Tower, an observation tower designed by Austrian architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser on the grounds of the Kuchlbauer brewery in Abensberg, Lower Bavaria. Hundertwasser died in 2000 during the tower's planning phase. The tower was completed under the direction of the brewery's owner, Leonhard Salleck, with architect Peter Pelikan overseeing construction. It is 34.19 meters tall and is home to 4,200 Weißbier glasses (remember my post about German beer glasses?). It also has an exhibition of the brewing process and explains the Bavarian Purity Law. This can, by the way, is from a German beer advent calendar that we found at Costco last year.





22 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Your photographs are stunning, beautiful captures.

All the best Jan

Mae Travels said...

Sunsets over the Pacific are amazing, and you captured the perfect sequence of this light show!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

Your sunset photos are beautiful. I love the one of the reflection in your daughter's sunglasses. Whenever I've ever been along the Pacific I've always enjoyed the beautiful sunsets too. (Of course when there is no thick marine layer.) Happy spring and happy T day. hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

I'm responding to your comment about what they do if the maple syrup is too thin or thick. That kettle is just a small amount maple syrup that is in the evaporator. If it's too thin they can return it and boil it down some more. If it's too thick they pour it back in and add more sap to the evaporator. They seem to have it down on the science though. When the boil syrup reaches a certain point on the temperature gauge it seems to be at the right point.

kathyinozarks said...

Your photography is so beautiful-I can see some of these being framed Happy Spring and T
hugs Kathy

Iris Flavia said...

WOW zum ersten Foto. Ach, ich vermisse das Meer jetzt umso mehr...
Toller Turm, mir ist jetzt aber eher nach heißem Tee als Bier ;-)

Elephant's Child said...

Simply glorious.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I got caught up looking up marine layer because I remember when I was in San Diego one year staying at the beach, I walked outside my hotel room and was enjoying the water when all of a sudden a huge wave of fog rolled in. It enveloped me like a wet blanket and it was an experience I will never forget.

I love the photo of Kaefer from behind. I agree it is a perfect shot. I also love how the sun magically set through your lens. Just stunning photos, Carola.


That is one really impressive tower on that beer can. Thanks for sharing your awesome photos, your beer. and your beer can with us for T this almost Tuesday

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, Carola, your pictures are wonderful - especially the one where the ocean is relected in your daughter's sunglases. Beautiful pictures here! I love that beer can too. Lovely post. Happy T-day!!! Hugz

Valerie-Jael said...

What fabulous photos, water, sun and sky make an intoxicating mixture for photos. How nice to see sunset at the pacific, I have never been there. Happy T Day, and have a great week, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I understand this irrepressible desire to stick one's toe in the ocean. I have done it so many times and still do it when I can navigate through the garbage on most beaches. I am sure it was exciting for Kaefer to walk the coastlines of her childhood. Great sense of the moment, Carola, to capture the image in her sunglasses.

one irrational bean said...

Stunning photos

Divers and Sundry said...

Oh, my! What a gorgeous view! You got some wonderful photos :) Happy T Tuesday

jinxxxygirl said...

Every single one of those photo was spectacular! Yes, you have to watch out for those sneaker waves... I've never witnessed one.. have you? But i have heard of the tragedies..Happy happy Tday! Hugs! deb

Lorrie said...

What a glorious sunset you captured as it changed over the minutes. Love the photo of Kaefer's sunglasses.
The Pacific Ocean is certainly NOT warm. We never swim in it unless there is a long, wide sandy beach warmed by the sun that warms the water coming in on the tide. Even then I shiver!

Michelle said...

The photo reflection in the sunglasses is excellent! Beautiful views!

Sharon Madson said...

Gorgeous sunset photos! Thank you for sharing them. Happy t day.

Jeanie said...

These are gorgeous photos and I hope you include at least one in your year-end "pick a favorite" group. I especially love the distance photos of Kiefer in silhouette or close to it. They speak volumes.

DVArtist said...

These are spectacular photos. You have a real talent. Have a lovely day.

CJ Kennedy said...

Gorgeous photographs. Very cool you were able to capture the reflection in your daughter's sunglasses. Happy T Day

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh my! What an amazing sunset!That is a beautiful photo of Keiferlooking at the setting sun. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great way to start spring, Carola, by enjoying these lovely sunset photos. I know how cold the Pacific is compared to the Atlantic Ocean, not from any visit to CA, but from a couple to OR. It was nice to read that your daughter could revisit one of her favorite places as well. The reflection in her sunglasses was indeed a great capture.