Sunday, October 6, 2019

An Image and Its Story - September 2019


September flew by in a rush. We still have a lot of new textbooks to process in the high school library and have to deal with the "regular" tasks a busy library brings with it. The German School has started again; I have a bigger class than last year, and I enjoy all of my students.

We had some pretty hot days in September when temperatures climbed up to 105° F - too hot for me. Fortunately that happened during my days off and I could spend my time at the coast where it is considerably cooler. I went up to Gualala again, had a lovely long walk along the Gualala Point Bluff Trail followed by a mug of delicious mocha in a little café on the cliffs. On my way back I stopped many times along Highway 1 to take photos and just enjoy the views over the vast ocean and the steep cliffs.


The pampas grass is found everywhere along the coast where it grows on the steep cliffs. It is rather invasive and unfortunately crowds out native species, thus lowering the biodiversity. However, I still like the looks of it in fall when it is tall and shimmers in the sunlight - simply gorgeous when back lit!

This is one of my favorite stretches of Highway 1, between Bodega Bay and Fort Ross. The road - that is not very wide I have to add - hugs the steep hills that fall into the ocean, with sharp bends and curves as well as steep climbs. You can see a small part of it to the left side of the photo. It is a very popular road with tourists which is no surprise, but also brings its own problems - the most apparent one inexperience in driving roads like this, especially in a RV. However, up here north of the Golden Gate we don't get as many tourists as for example in Big Sur further south, and I'm thankful for that. There still is a lot of untouched nature to be found, and every time I drive along here I feel blessed and grateful to live in such a wonderful part of our planet. The cliffs, the rocks, the ocean, the sheer wildness of it all truly appeals to me.




12 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It really is a beautiful area and you are fortunate to be able to enjoy it so often. I have travelled this area twice, but I doubt that I will ever be back there again.


Karen Lakis said...

This looks like a beautiful place to take a ride. The grass, cliffs, seaside all together is truly stunning!

My name is Erika. said...

Wow, you do have some heat. It seems like a smart idea to be able to escape it to that beautiful coastal spot. I like pampas grass and of course the beautiful Cali coast. happy October. Hugs-Erika

Elephant's Child said...

How absolutely glorious. A big hooray for untouched nature, and those with open eyes, hearts and mind to appreciate it.
And yes, 105 is tooooo hot.

Red Rose Alley said...

Such a pretty picture of the pampas grass. I didn't know its name. California sure has some beautiful spots to visit. I'm familiar with many of the ones you mentioned, as I'm a California native. ; )

~Sheri

Michelle said...

What a beautiful scene!!!

Jeanie said...

You're getting the heat; we're getting the cool. It's a fabulous photo. Really speaks to the environment.

windrock studio said...

So pretty! I would have loved to have been with you on your drive and hike and cafe stop.

krishna said...

That's a beautiful place. I must make a plan to go there.

Terra said...

That is a beautiful scene. My husband and I vacationed north of San Francisco two times in Point Reyes.

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a beautiful scene.

All the best Jan

Magic Love Crow said...

Very, very beautiful!! Big Hugs!