Thursday, April 27, 2017

At The Powwow


Every year the Cross Cultural Center of UC Davis organizes a Powwow. The first time we saw it by accident when we were touring the campus, but this year I wanted to see it again. So on Saturday, April 15th we drove over to Davis, met Kaefer and went with her to the Quad where the Powwow took place.


It was a colorful event. Before arriving we were already greeted by the drumming and the chanting, a rhythm that I can hardly withstand. We witnessed many dances, walked along the aisle of vendors and enjoyed the delicious frybread.

But most of all, I tried to capture this event with my camera. The men were so fascinating...


...but I was really drawn to the women.


So much color, beauty and dignity. I was delighted to see many young people joining the dances. I'm so glad that they learn and keep their cultural traditions.


The dancing was exquisite. What a sight!



Look at all these feathers - aren't they fabulous? How much work is it to create this special kind of art?


I loved the hair styles and decoration of the women - so elaborate and beautiful.


And I'm just speechless about these boots. Awesome doesn't even come close.




11 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Oh. What a privilege to see. And hear.
Thank you so much for sharing some of the fabulosity (and if that isn't a word it should be).

Karen Lakis said...

What a fascinating event! I love the way you captured all the colors and various styles of hair and clothing!

Kokopelli said...

Thank you for all those amazing photos! I love Native American beadwork and looking at the photos of all these wonderful regalia.

Jeanie said...

I've never been to a powwow. This is stunning and your photos are fantastic. How interesting it must have been!

Michelle said...

Their clothing is so intricate. It takes a lot of time and talent to create all of it. Really awe inspiring.

My name is Erika. said...

Cool photos. I think its so fascinating. Hugs-erika

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos, Carola! Thank you for sharing the excitement and color of this event. It's hard to imagine the hours of intricate work that went into creating those outfits.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I would love to attend such an event! Beautiful pictures ....you did a great job making it feel almost like I was there.

Magic Love Crow said...

I haven't been to a powwow in a long time!! I love your post so much! What a treat! Did you join in the circle, for the dancing? I love doing that!! Big Hugs!

Sarah Huizenga said...

Such beauty in the details. I would love to go to a Pow Wow. Add that to the forever long bucket list :)

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm very familiar with Davis - have been there many times. But I've never heard of this event before. These are awesome pictures. I love to hear about the customs and traditions of other cultures.

~Sheri