Thursday, February 2, 2017

Ginger Kitties All Around



Winter is a great time to knit - yes, I know I do it all year long almost daily, but still winter with its short and over all darker days feels like the perfect time for a mug of hot chocolate, good music and curling up on the couch with some knitting needles and beautiful yarn. It is calming, relaxing and peaceful - exactly what I have needed over the past few weeks.

I also love cats and when I found this cat hat I knew that I had to try it out. The pattern was originally written in French, is very detailed and confused me at the beginning a little bit. However, I tried it out and followed the instructions to a T, and while knitting it the pattern became clear to me. The special thing about this pattern is how the tails are worked - they are not knitted within the pattern but are kind of three dimensional and stick out. This it how it looked when I got started and had just finished the tails:


As you can see, they stick out, but when you continue in the pattern they are eventually attached to the cats' bodies. Quite clever!


After I was done with the kitties the hat knitted up really fast.


The yarn was beautiful to work with, a blend of 70% merino wool and 30% mulberry silk by Cascade Yarns.

I loved how the cats turned out. And an idea started to form in my head. Why not take the cats and put them on a sweater? Not any sweater, but a sweater for a very special little girl with whom we spent a day at the Sacramento Zoo at the beginning of January. Last year I knitted this sheep cardigan for her and she wore it many times. This time I decided to knit a sweater for her.


I found a basic sweater pattern and did some math how to incorporate the cats. It really wasn't rocket science. I chose a soft and very beautiful pure superwash merino wool by Malabrigo - this is my all time favorite yarn - whereas the cats are knitted with 100% superwash wool by Cascade Yarns (another favorite).


First I worked the back, then the front and - other than in the instructions - I sewed both parts together by using the three-needle bind off which leaves no visible seam. The sleeves were knitted directly to the sweater by picking up stitches; not my favorite technique, but it worked. There were a lot of kitties on this sweater and I had to pay close attention in order not to mess up the pattern.


When the cats were done it was a straight stockinette stitch and the sweater was finished. I didn't put whiskers on the cats because I thought it too much on this already busy pattern. All I had to do was to block it and then pack it up and send it on its way.




18 comments:

Pamela Gordon said...

That is a cute pattern. I admire those who knit such beautiful things with yarn and also those who do any type of handwork. The days are getting a bit longer at either end now and I'm enjoying the extra bits of light morning and evening. Have a lovely day.

Laurie said...

You did a beautiful job, Carola! I'm sure the little girl that receives it will squeal with delight over those kitties.

Poppy said...

Beautiful sweater and hat with your beloved cat motif! My daughter has recently expressed an interest in learning how to knit and she also is a big cat lover, so I just showed her your cute creations for inspiration! She can't wait to start!

Poppy

Jeanie said...

Carola, this is fabulous. I am such a sucker for ginger cats. My original Marmelade Gypsy was a ginger and if I had my choice, they'd all be that way. I love the sweater and hat -- great set and loads of work!

krishna said...

Aww!! beautiful kitties... I love the kitty hat.. XOXO

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh my goodness, you are SO talented!!!! I couldn't even knit or crochet or embroider if my life depended upon it. I tried, I did try - and I haven't the patience - we cannot be good at everything - and I soooooo respect talented people such as you who can do this with what to me is "string."

This is amazing to me, love it!

Thanks so much for stopping by today and for your sweet comments.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This is just fabulous. What a cute, cute sweater for a little one. She is very lucky indeed. Your craftsmanship is extraordinary.

Darla said...

I'm SO impressed. I thought the hat was adorable but to think you transferred the cats onto a sweater pattern is amazing. I knit but not at your expert level. I can imagine a very happy little girl somewhere.

Unknown said...

Carol, both hat & sweater are beautifully done. Love them & she is one lucky little girl to get such a beautiful sweater full of kitties.

joliefemme said...

This is an adorable project!

Karen Lakis said...

Adorable! You have quite a talent. I love both the hat and the sweater!

Anonymous said...

That is SO cute! The original pattern is very creative, but so are you to turn it from a hat into a sweater. I'm sure the lucky little girl (and her Mama) will adore it.

DeniseinVA said...

It takes talent to be a good knitter. I love these kitty creations Carola. Beyond adorable!

Sue (this n that) said...

Aw Carola, the ginger kitties are so cute - your knitting is so special :D)

My name is Erika. said...

I adore this ginger kitties. What a great knitted collection. I too love to knit, and winter is the perfect time. Sounds even better with that mug of hot coco too.

magnoliasntea said...

Hi Carola! Wow,. this sweater is just awesome. What a clever technique for the tails, too cute. Your knitting is perfect.

The Chilly Dog said...

Those kitties are so stinking CUTE! I love the way the tails pop out. That's a really unusual technique for knitting.

Magic Love Crow said...

Well done! Stunning! Adorable! I love the sweater and the hat! I love cats too! Hugs!