Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Market in the Lava


Hawai'i is always on my mind, lovely memories of the beautiful islands in the Pacific Ocean. In particular I love the Big Island, and today I just want to continue with photos and tales from our vacation there back in August of last year.

I told you about Kalapana and its devastating relationship with Madame Pele. Once a thriving fishing village it was wiped out by lava from Kīlauea in 1990. However, a small part of Kalapana is still left, and it turns into a very colorful spot on Wednesday nights when people come to visit the popular Uncle's Wednesday Night Market.



You can buy all sorts of things here, from organic soap to jewelry to t-shirts to hand carved spears and boomerangs. It is fun to walk around and just watch people, a colorful palette of unique characters.
The main attraction, however, is the food. So much to see, smell and taste. An abundance of flavor for all the senses. Let me give you a few samples.







Kaefer and I tried the Huli Huli chicken which was delicious, and the Geek couldn't resist the Paniolo steak with a spiced Kona coffee rub. The Huli Huli chicken with its sweet ginger soy was a hit and the Paniolo steak was delicious as well. We also tried the Banana Lumpia and some wonderful tropic lemonade.


When we left the almost full moon was in the clouds, illuminating the sky over the ocean. It was a gorgeous and a bit unreal scenery, very fitting for the location.


9 comments:

krishna said...

beautiful pictures.. we went to Hawaii back in 2009 with our then 9 months old son.. We went to Oahu, and Maui.. that was an awesome experience..

Sarah Huizenga said...

That cast of characters, photography delight, and I would love to try some of that food. The best part of traveling vacations trying different food.

Michelle said...

Wow....I could have eaten my way through that market! lol

Jeanie said...

You certainly had a spectacular visit. I've never been to Hawaii so it is delightful for me to learn more about the culture, the people, the sites and oh, what lovely food in that market! An enjoyable post to be sure, but now I'm hungry!

Sue (this n that) said...

Hello Carola - what a treat to see such a vibrant market - the colours, people and food! Wow - I love the look of those Banana Lumpia... great price too! The savoury pancake looked yummy as well. I can imagine all the gorgeous smells and probably beautiful music too. Thank you for a lovely post. Cheers 😊

KB said...

That food even made me hungry, and I have an unhappy tummy. What a trip you had!

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow, I love the market! I love the people! I love the food! Yummy! Great night photo! What a great vacation you had! Big Hugs!

Rosie Grey said...

Oooh, thanks so much for taking me to Hawaii with your photos!

Michelle B said...

That looks like a fun market to visit! I have never been to Hawaii, thank you for taking me today. :)