Sunday, December 7, 2014

Sunday Gratitude

This Sunday sneaked up on me... I simply wasn't ready for it. But here it is.


My gratitude list is full again. I feel blessed.

- As usual, and every single day, I am so grateful for my family. We had a bit of a rough week, mainly because Kaefer has been buried beneath homework. Only two more weeks until winter break, and it seems that the teachers have doubled the amount of homework. I simply don't get it. Still, there are always moments when we laugh and have fun together.
- There was time to watch old episodes of Downton Abbey, Kaefer's favorite TV show. She always watches the old episodes in anticipation of the start of the new season (January 4th!!!).


- Knitting - along with the cooler season I take out my knitting needles again. I knitted many doll's hats, scarves and leg warmers in the past weeks and am currently working on a pair of boot cuffs for a certain young girl (no, she doesn't read my blog). I love projects that are done fast, but I also got some patterns for more challenging projects in our local yarn store. I'm also looking for a good knitting book that is easy to understand - if you have any suggestions please tell me in the comments!
- Nature always calms me. I finally went back to the lake and it was THE highlight of this past week. This place holds a certain magic for me that works over and over again. It doesn't matter if the sun is not shining and the ground is sogging - the lake is pure heaven.


- I am so grateful for my friend Jo. We hadn't seen each other in quite a while since we both were very busy. But this week we finally managed to get together twice. We discovered a new breakfast place in town, spent time in the yarn store drooling over skeins of alpaca and mohair and went to a holiday craft fair. With her I also discover our town with new eyes, like this statue of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. I had never realized before that Snoopy actually carries a rose in his paw!



- The smell of freshly baked bread was waving through our home this week as well. Beside all the whole grain bread that we love I tried a recipe for a Moroccan country bread - it was yummy and went so well with the shrimp in lemon butter. I guess I will post the recipe some time in the coming week, so if you're interested in it watch out for it.
- Still life photography. I had never thought that I would enjoy this special kind of photography so much. Usually I'm the nature, landscape, tree and fence photographer, but this quiet photography is so different and fulfilling at the same time. I enjoy setting up a photo shoot, take several shots and then process them in Lightroom. Kim Klassen's online class "Start to Finish" has been a big helper in this development.


- And like every Sunday - don't forget the birds. They are an endless source of joy for me. I saw this little California Towhee during my walk around the lake and I was happy that he stayed on this bench for quite some while.


Now it's your turn - what are you grateful for?


12 comments:

Bethany Carson said...

Your knitting looks beautiful! I don't know how to knit, but I can crochet. The fresh-baked bread looks delicious. I wish I could smell it!
Enjoyed reading your thankful list!

Elephant's Child said...

My heart overflows with gratitude. For beauty, for love, for laughter and not least for the warmth and wonder of the blogosphere. I am a very lucky woman.

Sridhar Chandrasekaran said...

You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey.

Unknown said...

Wunderschöne Fotos hast Du gemacht liebe Carola :) Das Foto von der Distel gefällt mir am besten :))

Liebe Grüße
【ツ】Knipsa

Miss Val's Creations said...

There is so much to be grateful for when we stop and think about it. Your photos are beautiful. That yarn you are working is beautiful. I'm sure the recipients will love their gifts. Now I want to bake some bread. I cheat a little with a bread machine, but the smell is the same as old fashioned baking loaves!

Cheri said...

Such beautiful images! I am grateful for a slow but steady return to better health and improvement on my pain levels. December looks to be a good month!

Donna Hopkins said...

Your perspective on a full life as a blessed life is contagious. I would love to learn to knit, too. And I am so glad for you that you had time to watch a few episodes of Downtown Abbey with your daughter. My son, age 17, has so much homework,too! It seems it never ends, and I want him to be able to enjoy life, too! Your still life photo of the rising bread is simple and heartwarming. Beautiful work!

Michelle B said...

Your gratitude list is full! Your thistle image is gorgeous! I love to be by the lake, too, something about the water is calming. Your bread looks delicious. I can almost smell it. Have a great week!

Kia said...

Such a beautiful post, Carola. :) You are right, there is so much to be grateful for! Lovely photos, also the still life one. I have no patience for it at all. And what a cutie the California Towhee is! :)

Magic Love Crow said...

You make such beautiful posts ;o)
Today, I am grateful for the snow that has fallen ;o) It refreshed me ;o) Hugs ;o)

Unknown said...

hi carola, it's been a very very long time.

i've had an emotionally challenging 2 years. i am still in the middle of things, but i have fought to be happy.
i am grateful for my strength, my daughter's smile, my few friends who are trustworthy and loyal, bloggers sharing the simple beauty of their world, and for good tea. ;)

MadSnapper said...

all of these are stunning photos and I love the edits you did... so beautiful