Friday, December 19, 2014

A White Mug And the Neapolitan Novels


I wanted to write this post two weeks ago... well, that didn't happen, but I hope you don't mind to read about this today, even though this is not exactly this week's find.

My friend Jo and I love to have breakfast together every now and then, and usually we have our favorite cafés that we frequent a lot. Two weeks ago, however, we wanted to try a new café that is actually in walking distance from my home. The café is wonderful and has become a new favorite. We had planned to go to the yarn store afterwards, but it was still too early. So we opted to visit the Goodwill store next to the café instead.

That's where I found this white mug. I immediately fell in love with it - I love it's clear lines, its simplicity. I already pictured the hot chocolate in there.... but I actually use it mostly for tea. Hibiscus tea, to be exact. The red tea in the white mug looks fabulous (which you can't really see in this picture).


We did make it to the yarn store as well. Those are always dangerous places for me. I love yarn and knitting, especially with double pointed needles. I don't exactly know why - I just love the feel of it. I found some wonderful alpaca yarn in a rusty orange color - I plan to make a hat and a matching infinity scarf. And drink lots of hibiscus tea!


Another find of this (!) week is this book by Elena Ferrante, "My Brilliant Friend". Ferrante is an Italian writer from Naples, and this book is the first in her Neapolitan novels. It takes place in the late 50's in a poor neighborhood in Naples and she just describes her childhood and teenage years in post-war Italy that was dominated by her friendship with the girl Lila, but also takes in all the other happenings in her neighborhood. It's a portrait of Italy that really draws you in. The two other Neapolitan novels are "The Story of a New Name" and "Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay". It was this third book that I saw first in the book store - the title intrigued me and was the reason why I picked up the book in the first place. I then decided to start with the first book in the series - and I haven't regretted it. I will certainly get books 2 and 3 as well.


I'm linking up with "Friday Finds" after I had missed it the last time!


20 comments:

Unknown said...

Schöne Funde hast Du da gemacht, genau das Richtige für lange Winterabende :)
Und ich habe einen Teebeutel gesehen :D :D :D
Liebe Grüße
【ツ】Knipsa

EG CameraGirl said...

I'll have to look for this book as learning more what it was like to live in Italy shortly after WWII sounds intereting!

tiarastantrums said...

so very pretty!

Dotti said...

These are some brilliant finds but that mug is heaven to me! I'm a mug addict. Thanks for sharing all your finds. Sometimes I have to go back a week or three, too, because time just doesn't permit me to get a post up the very week. I'm sure nobody minds.

gina said...

That mug was a great find, as it has helped you create some beautiful images! I especially love the first one.

Elephant's Child said...

Love the mug - and am a fan of Hibiscus tea as well.
The books series sounds right up my bookaholic greedy alley. Thank you. I will track them down later.

Miss Val's Creations said...

Great find the in mug. Simple helps you focus more on the comforting beverage within. Beautiful yarn choices. The novel sounds like a wonderful historical read.

Debbie said...

oohhhh you knit, I love to knit!! pretty yarns!!!

sarah said...

I love the richness of your photographs.

Susan W said...

I'm always drawn to photos with yarn, I don't know why. Perhaps it's the homey feel. Lovely photos and lovely knitting.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

Oh! That is beautiful yarn, I like to knit too but it never seems to get cold enough down here to wear a a sweater any more. Maybe I should make some scarves.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I am always looking for a good book to read.

Linda Kay said...

Thanks for stopping by at my place. Love your fence picture for sure and your black and white photos. I'll be back!

chasing the sun said...

So beautiful :-)

Petra Pavlátková said...

Carola, to have a favourite mug is a must, isn't it. I like its simplicity and shape...

I absolutely love the first and last photos, their tint and atmosphere, they are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Nothing like a good cafe and beautiful yarn!

Nina said...

Hi Carola,
These images are really cozy and beautiful - I would love to sit and knit with you by a cup of coffee!
Enjoy your weekend,
Nina

Magic Love Crow said...

Great mug and the book sounds great too ;o) Love the photos ;o)

Waldameise Andrea said...

Wie ich sehe, bist du bestens gerüstet für die kommende stille Zeit.

Ein schönes Weihnachtsfest wünsche ich dir!

Liebe Grüße
von der Waldameise

Bethany Carson said...

Love the photos of the tea and yarn!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Gorgeous!
Rinda