Monday, May 2, 2011

Made in Germany 7


This reed-covered house is located on the isle of Sylt - a very typical house for this area.

Sylt belongs to my favorite places in Germany. The isle is in the North Sea at the very northern coast of Germany. Sylt is right between the open sea and the mud-flats which makes it a pretty unique place in my eyes. You can only reach it by plane or train; the train, however, can carry cars if you really think you need a car there. My choice of transportation has always been the bicycle - you can rent it for however long you need it and explore the island with the power of your legs. Sometimes it's strenuous because it's almost always windy, but the fish tastes so much better after a few hours of biking. And fish is what you eat on Sylt, that and crab, little shrimp - and for dessert Rote Grütze (a type of red berries jelly with heavy cream) - it is so good! And of course, if you like tea, you should stop in one of the many tea rooms and enjoy a decent afternoon tea - it is pure luxury.

Do you have any German to share? A photo, book, memory, story, food - whatever it is, just leave a link in the comments and we'll stop by.

6 comments:

Darla said...

What an interesting house. I really enjoy your posts about Germany. Traveling via a friends blog is always fun.

Tammie Lee said...

Such a gorgeous photograph! Sounds like a wonderful place to visit, yum.

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful photo, Carola, and you just reminded me I'm hungry.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Lynn Cohen said...

Lovely photo...and I bet the fish and dessert are delicious.

Ginnie Hart said...

This reminds me of Astrid's favorite island off the Holland north coast, Carola: Texel. It's her secret heaven, I'm sure, and one day she will take me there. I have a feeling it is to her what Sylt is to you.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Die Insel Sylt ist einfach nur schön. Ich bin sowieso eine Inselfan, egal ob Ostsee oder Nordsee.