Monday, November 21, 2022

Lunner in the Abbey

 

Last week I told you about our stop in Vipiteno/Sterzing on the last day of our short trip. After we had left this charming little town in Südtirol, we crossed Brennerpass into Austria and from there drove via Innsbruck back to Bavaria. It was a lovely drive in splendind weather with gorgeous views. We passed the beautiful lakes Walchensee and Kochelsee which were pretty crowded since it was a public holiday (Ascension Day). We finally reached Kloster Benediktbeuern (Benediktbeuern Abbey) where we decided to have "lunner" - a name that we gave to a warm meal that is between lunch and dinner when we have neither of the two. We often do this while traveling.

Benediktbeuern Abbey is a monastery of the Salesians of Don Bosco, but was originally a monastery of the Benedictine Order. It was founded around 739/740. During the secularisation of Bavaria in 1803 the abbey was dissolved and during the course of the disposal of the library and archives the manuscript of the Carmina Burana was found, a 13th century collection of songs by wandering scholars. This manuscript is now in the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek in München together with many priceless manuscripts and charters from the abbey's library and archives. 24 of the poems of the Carmina Burana were set to music by Carl Orff in 1935/36. If you're not familiar with this music, listen in to "O Fortuna":



The site is huge and now among others also houses a university, a "Centre for Environment and Culture" and is home to an extended herb garden. The brewery - what is a monastery without its own brewery? - unfortunately was closed in 1925.

I am always very fond of the baroque church towers that you can find in Bavaria with their remarkable onion shape.

There were gates. as well - I always love gates.

But our main reason to stop here was the Klosterbraustüberl, named after the old brewery. It has a restaurant and a big beer garden. Since it was a holiday, the beer garden was crowded and we had to wait for our food quite a while, but spent the time with people watching. And we did see some "real Bavarians" in the traditional Bavarian costume.

The food we had I had already shown you in this post, but since this is for Elizabeth and Bleubeard's T Tuesday, please join me for the wonderful Weißbier we had here.


 After we had eaten our "lunner", we started out to the very last leg of our trip, returning to München through the beautiful Upper Bavarian region.



If you are in the US, I wish you a very happy Thanksgiving. Despite the current state of the world, there is much to be thankful for. We shouldn't limit that to just one day in the year.



22 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Your photos capture the feeling of a beautiful and historic place! I hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

kathyinozarks said...

I agree we need to always be thankful and blessed.
Beautiful area you took us to today-thanks for sharing, I have never been out of the usa except for Canada when we went to the world's fair way back when lol perhaps in the early '60s
Happy T Kathy

My name is Erika. said...

I was thinking about how nice it is to see some beautiful rural scenes and some architecture that is definitely not big city looking as I read this post Carola. You certainly had some beautiful sights on your trip. And it's fun to see someone dressed in traditional Bavarian garb. I wonder if people used to dress that way all the time but if that style was used for ceremonies or perhaps more formal occasions . Maybe you know. I hope you have a lovely T day and rest of your week. Hugs-Erika

My name is Erika. said...

And have a happy Thanksgiving also Carola.

Kate Yetter said...

What a beautiful Abbey! I agree with you, the towers have a beautiful shape. I never thought of it as an onion shape but yes, it is.
Thank you for sharing your trip.
Happy Thanksgiving and Tea Day,
Kate

Sharon Madson said...

Lunners are what we have mostly, because we eat late breakfast then in between lunch and dinner. Beautiful photos! Happy T Day.

Elephant's Child said...

I have so enjoyed travelling with you. Many thanks.
And, re thanksgiving, I wholeheartedly agree with you. We should limit thanksgiving to one day of the year, or to one country.

Iris Flavia said...

"Lunner" :-)
Die Türme haben ja beinahe etwas Russisches.
Danke fürs Betonen, dass das Bayrische Tracht ist - viele denken alle Deutschen laufen so herum.
So schön, Sommerfotos zu sehen. Es ist so kalt geworden und mit dem Keller unten drunter... brrr.
Wir feiern Thanksgiving ja nicht, aber ich bin oft in Gedanken sehr dankbar für Vieles.

roentare said...

Love the people shots here. Very picturistiq scenes

Lorrie said...

Bavaria is such a pretty area to explore. I enjoyed reading the history of the Carmina Burana, as I've listened to the music before. Lunner is a fun made-up word!

Valerie-Jael said...

The abbey is beautiful, and as I love carmina burano, this was an extra treat for me, thanks. WE used to sing it in our choir. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Hugs Valerie

Lisca said...

What a good word: lunner! I shall remember that. Unfotunately here in Spain we can't have lunners unless we cook ourselves as the restaurant kitchens close after three pm and don't open until 8 or 8:30. Yes, the Spaniards eat late. When we have family staying and go out somewhere, the children will get hungry between 5 and 6, and there is no food to be had around here. Really awkward.
I love your photos. Bavaria is really beautiful.Of course the nice weather does help too.
How interesting about the Carmina Burana songs. I never knew they were found there. And I love Orff's Carmina Burana. O Fortuna is the most famous one I think. Many choirs sing it.
Happy T-Day,
Hugs,
Lisca

DVArtist said...

Ohhh these photos are stunning. Have a lovely day and thank you for sharing such amazing places.

Jeanie said...

This is so beautiful! I love the countryside here and that abbey is simply stunning. What a great brew spot! Love the guy in his Tyrolean (?) ensemble! All wonderful.

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous photos and such a lovely place to visit! That beer looks so good and we have a guy who wears lederhosen at our beer festival on the World Beer bar 😊. Happy Thanksgiving - those Autumnal leaves with the sun shining through look so beautiful! Happy T Day! Hugs Jo x

Divers and Sundry said...

Such beautiful scenes! It looks like you had a delightful trip. Happy T Tuesday

jinxxxygirl said...

So enjoyed all your photos Carola! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

David M. Gascoigne, said...

My word you had fun on this trip, Carola. You really do have a way of capturing the essence of the landscape, the towns and citites and all their charm. I think you should organize a convention of bloggers somewhere in Bavaria and we will all join you. Let me know where to send my deposit! Hugs - David

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My sincere apology for taking so long to visit. I finally realized I HAD to drag myself out of bed and see what you had offered for T this week. I'm definitely not a very good host, but I want you to know I greatly appreciate your visit and for linking this week. This was definitely quite a trip you took. Sounds like one for a lifetime, dear Carola.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My brain is addled. I forgot to wish you a very happy Thanksgiving, dear.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Sorry to be so late. After food shopping yesterday I only had time to write my post before going for meal and to see The Lion King at the theatre with my youngest son. What a wonderful area this is. The Abbey looks fantastic and what interesting information about Carmina Burana. Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

Empire of the Cat said...

Still looking after sick kitties, so I'm very late to the party. I got your message and will send you an email. Happy T Day! Elle/EOTC xx