Sunday, February 3, 2019

An Image and Its Story - January 2019

I had debated with myself whether to continue "An Image and Its Story" in 2019 or not, and then decided to go ahead. Looking back at the photos I took during the previous month always makes me aware of how much (or not) I went out with my camera or just the phone. I can recall walks, events, sunsets, anything that I thought was worth a photo. It's also easy to see whether it was a good month or weeks of stress and discontentment. January was so-so - lovely days with my daughter in the first week and after that work rushed in full power and kept me busy throughout the month.


But I was still able to find time for walks, and what better place in the rainy season than to walk around the lake. Usually I meet up once a week with my friend Lyz, we walk and talk around the lake and then stop at "our" bench along the Fisherman's Trail where we sit, sometimes for hours, talking, looking out over the lake, listening to the birds and occasionally we even spot an otter or two. It's a special place for both of us where we can take a break and breathe. She lost her home in the October firestorm in 2017, has moved four times since then and struggles with insurance, contractors and builders to finally get their home rebuilt. It's a long and agonizing process.

The view in the photo appears pretty early in our walk and is one that never ceases to delight me. I have a weak spot for crooked trees anyway and fortunately for me, there are several at the lake or in the vicinity of it. Whenever I am here I feel grateful to have this special place so close to my home.


15 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that you and your friend have this beautiful spot as heart-balm. And have a weakness for crooked trees myself.
Otters? Colour me a touch jealous.

Vagabonde said...

I can certainly understand how easy it must be to spend several hours by this lake – it is peaceful and beautiful. Then having a friend to share it with is an added pleasure. I am sure there are many lovely places here in Nashville, but I have not been to any, don’t know really where they are and don’t have anyone to go with – not easy to move to a new state when one is retired. I have not traveled (apart going back to GA) in the last 2 years because of my husband’s illness, but now that he is gone I think I’ll try to go to California in late spring to visit some friends. Your crooked tree does add drama to your photo.

Jeanie said...

I like the idea of the image and its story so I'm glad you are continuing. This looks like such a peaceful and lovely spot. We all need something like that. And the shape of the tree is wonderful.

Magic Love Crow said...

I am so happy you continued with this idea! This is such a gorgeous image! Thank you! I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's home! Big Hugs!

Karen Lakis said...

That’s a beautiful spot - I can understand how grateful you feel to have it close to home. Your tradition of meeting your friend sounds wonderful, also. I enjoy the Scene and Story idea and enjoy your posts.

Michelle said...

This is a beautiful spot. Glad you have it :)

Miss Val's Creations said...

Such a beautiful image. I can see its peacefulness. I hope your friend is able to have a home soon. Fires are so devastating that I can't even begin to imagine what she has been going through.

krishna said...

Beautiful picture of the lake.

Michelle B said...

What a beautiful lake. It is nice to look through photos and revisit the places and people we spent time with. I need to do that more often... I have never seen an otter in the wild. You have found a special place to visit with a friend. :)

Darla said...

Nature can be so beautiful. You caught such an amazing view. The curved branch of the tree in the foreground echoing the curved top of the hillside in the background. So well done

handmade by amalia said...

I love going out with my camera, it makes me so much more observant.
Amalia
xo

Sarah Huizenga said...

I am glad you decided to continue them. I am glad you have carried on from Scene & Story. Such a great lake to walk around. I always enjoy your daily photos.

Cheri said...

As always, your photography is stunning.

windrock studio said...

I dearly love your lake and am so happy that you and your friend are still walking and visiting together, so sorry for all she has gone through with her home ... such a very lovely photo.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is great that you have such a tranquil place for you and yourf riend to walk. I hope this helps her in some small measure to cope with a nightmare few of us can even imagine. Sorry to have been falling behind with your blog, Carola, but I have been away in Costa Rica and returned home only at midnight on Thursday.