Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Avocado Tree House


In my first Hawai'i post I mentioned that for the first few days we were living in a tree house near Pāhoa - its name was Avocado Tree House and it was built in and around a mature avocado tree. It actually is the hosts' children's old tree house. When they were grown up, their parents decided to expand it and make a vacation rental out of it.


The old tree house is now the "meditation room" that you can reach over a very steep stair-ladder.


The view from up there is magnificent. Unfortunately the windows don't have any screens, so we weren't really able to spend much time up there in the evenings.


The house itself has all the basics that we needed but nothing fancy. There was a big bed for us, a little living area and a loft bed for Kaefer. Many windows all around that were open all the time (these have screens) with a large window to the east with a wonderful view as well.



There was a lot of art in and outside the house. Some of them were bought at local markets and some were made by Hugh, the owner. I especially liked the gecko and was quite happy when I found a smaller version on a market that I could take home.


When you got out of the house through the back door you reached the bathroom section. A wash basin right where the tree is and to the side the toilet. Kind of in the middle of the jungle.



This was the view from the toilet... (I never thought I would post something like this!)


You pretty much just had to reach out your hand and pick avocados. They were literally growing into our mouth (while we were brushing our teeth). I enjoyed this so very much!


And I wasn't the only one who enjoyed this lovely and unique place!


Oh - you probably want to know whether we had a bit more than this gorgeous bathroom for our personal hygiene - of course we had! There was a fully functioning outdoor shower, on the way to the kitchen.



Every morning when I went to take a shower I saw this on my way there:


Can you imagine being greeted like this every morning (you also have to add all the birds that were very active here)?

The kitchen was in a different building right next to the tree house. The kitchen itself was well equipped and had everything we needed. There was a balcony in front of it where we always sat to have our breakfast. We could see the ocean from here. It was my personal slice of heaven.




The Avocado Tree House is part of a huge organic farm, and Elvira and Hugh, the owners and our hosts, provided us with fresh fruit every day (plus organic eggs, butter, Kona coffee etc.). My favorite was the white pineapple that you get only here (it cannot be shipped). It is soooo sweet and very low acidic.



Our breakfast company - Gold Dust Day Geckos - liked it as well.


There was also a porch at the front entrance of the tree house. We mainly dried our snorkeling items here and hung our towels to dry, but seldom sat here. We liked the kitchen balcony a little bit better. However, sitting out here in the evening drinking Mai Tais with friends would be really nice.



There was so much vegetation on this farm - it was incredible. The Royal Poinciana was my favorite tree. The reddish-orange flowers were gorgeous.


This was the best vacation rental we had in Hawai'i. It set the bar very high. If you're ever looking for a place near Pāhoa - close to the Volcano, lava flow, water falls and some awesome snorkeling - and like a quiet and unique place, you can find it on Airbnb.


18 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

It looks absolutely blissful.
I am so happy for you and a tad envious too.

Barb said...

You landed in Paradise! We once had a house in VT built in a forest - 3 levels with the upper being in the treetops. We called it our tree house, but yours actually had a tree growing in and through it! That's a once in a lifetime experience. I liked seeing all the art pieces on the property and in the house. Love the little Geckos sipping on pineapple nectar.

Hindustanka said...

Hi Carola! aww.. such a nice relaxing place! The outdoors and indoors both are wonderful, I never mind such settings - we already got tired of hotel feeling, so for the past few times we booked a stay through airbnb too, never were disappointed (In Moscow, St. Petersburg, in Shimla).
The fruits look delicious!I never tried this kind of pineapple and the star fruit. I am glad you had such great vacations with your daughter.

Willkommen auf meiner Kreativseite. said...

Traumhaft! So stelle ich mir das Paradies vor!

LG
Renate

Linda Starr said...

what a slice of paradise, never had a white pineapple even though I lived in Hawaii in the fourth grade, not sure I'd remember it anyway, when I saw the geckos I thought they were ceramic ha, shows you where my head is. Ha.

windrock studio said...

So wonderful, love that little tree house and the out door bathroom ... what an awesome adventure!

Vagabonde said...

What a unique place to stay. I am sure you will all remember it for years to come with great pleasure. I love avocados and having them on the tree – how special! I also enjoyed looking at all the great art. A bathroom and shower like these could only be in Hawaii with all the luxuriant vegetation – it would not be so tempting in Ohio, for example … That certainly was a dream vacation for y’all.

Kokopelli said...

What an absolutely amazing place! I spotted the huge Datura plant. Wow! My parents have three of them potted in different Colors. But that one is huge. Thanks for sharing!

Jeanie said...

This looks fabulous. I wonder, is it every girl's secret dream to live in a tree house? It would anybody's if the treehouse was like this one. I love the art and glad you found some to take home. And avocados too? Wonderful!

Pamela Gordon said...

What an interesting, and 'rustic', vacation spot! It looks quite lovely and is so unique too.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That is just amazing! I've never seen anything like it and would love to spend time there. The fruit must have been so fresh and sweet...and what a view from the table! Just amazing...oh I said that! WOW!

The Cynical Sailor said...

What a fun place! I always wanted a tree house growing up. I love that this one is for kids and adults alike.

Cheri said...

VERY unique! And since you all are campers, the facilities were fine for you. My girls would have whined. Wanted to let you know I am still very much enjoying the calendar!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks like a wonderful place, so unique and definitely a cut above the typical, anonymous hotel room. That bathroom, wow!

Magic Love Crow said...

WOW< WOW< WOW!!! I want to go! Amazing!!!!

baili said...

tree houses are always so fascinating to me ,place where one can feel above all yet so close to nature and himself ,
really enjoyed looking at these unique and amazing pics .thank you for sharing dear

denthe said...

omg this is amazing! I would fly right over there now if I could .... Love all the art, and that picture of the gecko's is just so beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

Sue (this n that) said...

I so love the Avocado Tree House... what fun to stay there!