Monday, February 21, 2011

Baby, It's Cold Outside

When I woke up yesterday morning and looked outside, I saw this:


We had had one of the coldest nights - remember, this is California, so this is not our typical weather, even in winter. There are only a few days when the frost is as beautiful as this morning and of course, I had to take pictures.

This is what it looked like on the deck

I guess you know what this is

I had forgotten about the hook on the table.

The flowers were cold, too:




Then I took a picture of this:

which is completely unexciting. So I started playing with my lens...

...and remembered the lensbaby. It was fun to play around with THAT one.



There is a big tub filled with water in our yard. Of course there was a sheet of ice on the surface. The Geek and Kaefer started to play around with that, lifting out a few sheets since they couldn't take the whole thing.

They had interesting patterns


One looked like a bird (a woodpecker?)



And these are Kaefer's pajamas seen through one of the ice-sheets.


Makes a nice abstract, doesn't it?



12 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the stars,the bird and the abstract. Great job turning our cold snap into some fabulous shots.
Rinda

Unknown said...

These photos are so beautiful. I love the ice pieces and the frost touched flowers. Amazing what nature does. Beautiful.

La Vie Quotidienne said...

wow it has been cold for you...lots of frost...burrrrr. Fascinating pictures...my favorite the one of the pj's thru the frost. Neat!

Kay L. Davies said...

You MUST be in California, Carola, if you're having that much fun with ice.
I feel sorry for your flowers, but the frost photos are beautiful, especially the closeup of the deck. I must admit I take pictures of frost when it's as pretty as that, too.
Nice work!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Christine E-E said...

do you think your flowers will survive the frost? love the delicate outline of ice on the daisy! & the ice sculptures are very intriguing... especially the woodpecker.

Kat Sloma said...

That is the most fantastic frost ever! It looks like you had a fabulous photo time exploring the cold. :)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wunderschöne Fotos und "Spielereien", die du mit der Kamera gemacht hast.

Rhonda said...

Wow! The flowers look like they are sugar coated! I like the one of Kaefer's pajamas too. That's a cool lens you have. :-)

Diana said...

These are really beautiful. You were so lucky to get these. We had snow on the hills this week. My husband said if you didn't know any better, it looked like we were in Colorado.

Lynn Cohen said...

Absolutely awesome photos of the frost and ice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Think we'll get any snow?

Owlfarmer said...

Evocative stuff, Carola. I seldom think to look closely at things when I have camera in hand (too busy looking at the sky, having been trained to it by Skywatch Friday--the only meme in which I participate, and I've usually got the long lens on). Now I regret not having spent more time looking around at the small stuff when we were inundated with snow.

These are all quite lovely; thanks for sharing them with your admirers.

Anonymous said...

OK, I agree, that's definitely a little chilly looking!! I've left something for you over at mine today if you'd like to pop in!!

Hugs
Brenda